PDA

View Full Version : For PvP Critics and Creators

Ravagous
03-23-2007, 05:12 PM
This is basically a quick point-out to people who watch PvP videos and also those who craft them.

Viewers- Since you're watching someone else's video and judging it, keep an open mind and don't be an idiot. I've seen good videos get one bad rating then the rest of the sheep line up behind them. People listen to different types of music, so it's not your call and videos should not and are not to be rated on the creator's choice, if you want certain music, then mute the video and play yours instead. Clicking vs Keyed, once more, creator's choice. Some people like to click, other's like to key, not your call.

Added [March 23-11:15pm]- Make sure you actually watch the whole video. Not just once, but three to five times to soak in everything so that when you give a worthy review (or worthy to future viewers or creators bent on improving) and not the standard "You suck, -5/5". Also, if you do see bad ratings, that's their opinion and not the "public opinion". Majority of the time, a video will be in the 1.5-2.7/5 section when it could actually be considered a 3.5-4.9/5 video.

!TLDR!
Don't be an idiot, don't judge play style, don't judge music and give detailed reviews after watching it moe then once (or more then the firt few minutes).

Creators- When making a video, window's media player is okay, but it's seriously a pile of crap. For better or great ratings, go purchase Sony Vegas or Adobe. Quality is key, try to make the file small and retain as much detail as possible. Keep UI reduced or less clustered, if we can't see the action then why are they watching? Long videos are good, but most people lose interest roughly between 7-15 minutes, so try and keep it around that timeframe, or keep it as interesting as possible. If you attempt RPing, make sure it's accurate to the WoW Lore (you're playing WoW, so yeah) and make it interesting. If you see your video moving at a slug pace or sort of boring, use wow model viewer and map, or use a fake realms (I do not support using fake realms) to implement interesting results.

Added [March 23-11:13 PM]- With the new armory on the WoW website, you can check to see players equipment afte you've melted their faces. This way, you can have your video with players equally or better geared, which also will bump up your ratings. Also, you can use this information to "schedule" a duel between you and players that you've found (Might not work, but worth a shot!).

!TLDR!
Use good quality and editing, keep the time moderate, try and get fights with players near or better gear/skill, don't make it out of "style" and push for greater results.

That's all. Also, if you've heard a song being used in several other PvP videos, don't use it and use music people haven't heard before, people usually ignore videos that sound/appear the same.

Edit- Sorry for using profanity, long day at work makes a man unstable heh ;p

godliest
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Pretty true. U forgot one important thing, Rate after the bl**dy categories that they have implented. They didn't go from the 1-10 system to category system without reason. THis system allow u to rate more accurate, but some people doesn't seem to understand this.

If there is awesome editing, übah high quality and has never been done before, but it got no real content; then the movie should clearly have a 4.0 (1/5/5/5). But the most people give it a one without thinking of the categories, I'm really really annoyed by that (no cursing used there, was close tho). I try to rate after the categories atleast.

yoshi245
03-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Skill category really needs to be added for rating videos, especially the pvp ones.

But to OP, it almost seems like a hand guide to being a critic. While I agree with being open minded, and people keeping their own opinions. None of this should be any new to anyone. If someone down rates a video or makes baseless claims of Someone's video sucking ass etc. That's their call. There will be an assclown here and there to rate the video too low, or someone who demands utter perfection to do the same, or even someone who's biased against what class, or content, or a billion other reasons. It can't be helped sadly.

I'm pretty sure most people who do rate actually have enough logic to perceive how they enjoyed and would rate what they just viewed. But for the most part, your post makes enough sense, it just seems like it was written out in frustration(which you do claim due to work at the end). Always good for most people to express constructive criticism for any video they watch. Whether it's positive or negative as long as the elaborated information of the criticism is reasonable.