PDA

View Full Version : Fully custom model animation with MAYA...

Sokall
04-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Well i am relitavely new to the scene, but i feel i'm pretty set in terms of the basic film-making and FX (color and chromo keying, set movements, ect.) but i want to move out of the box.

Wowmodel viewer is awesome, it gives you complete creative control that would otherwise be impossible, but it lacks one thing; complete freedom.

you are limited to Blizzard's animations only, you can't make a more realistic "point". This forces directors to be creative, which is great, but it's like drawing the mona lisa with three colors in a GIF format.

tell me, what exactly must i do to export wowmodelviewer characters into a format that MAYA will recognize? I'd tried all the given file types (3dmax, milkshake, ect), but maya can't open a single one of them.

Maya is very popular, so i'm sure at least one of you guys has had this problem as well, so please share your knowledge!

godliest
04-06-2007, 08:25 PM
Ok, what is MAYA? Some sort of indian? No really, I don't know, would be nice with a link.

Sokall
04-06-2007, 08:49 PM
Ok, what is MAYA? Some sort of indian? No really, I don't know, would be nice with a link.

Maya is a 3d modeling and animation program, it's kind of the industry norm right now, due to it's ease of use.

Terwilliger
04-10-2007, 01:58 PM
MAYA is used for more realistic 3D animations while 3D Studio Max is for more cartoony kind of animations.

Btcc22
04-11-2007, 04:43 PM
I'm afraid the only plugins to do this are for 3DMax/GMax and in my experience they don't actually seem to work (well, they do if you mess with them to the point of wanting to tear out your hair, but even then they imported models have so many problems they're beyond useful).

http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=1

Sokall
04-14-2007, 04:46 AM
I'm afraid the only plugins to do this are for 3DMax/GMax and in my experience they don't actually seem to work (well, they do if you mess with them to the point of wanting to tear out your hair, but even then they imported models have so many problems they're beyond useful).

http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=1

i did some snooping on 3dsmax, looks like the cheapest version is $3000.....dare i torrent?

godliest
04-14-2007, 07:35 PM
the cheapest version is $3000.....dare i torrent?Depends. Torrent it first, if u think the program is good and really worth the money, buy it. If u can afford it that is.