PDA

View Full Version : Rendering using vegas 7.0 results in black screen

bugz
04-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Hello.

I read and followed the guide by Thiras http://www.warcraftmovies.com/articleview.php?id=21

However. When I render with XVID (still following the guide) the resulting video is just a black screen. When using wmv it turns out ok - I can see the clip. However I do prefer to render it in xvid to get a better result and to make the movie smaller in size.

Anybody have any idea why this could be? (I did download and install the xvid codec mentioned by Thiras aswell). Any help would be appreciated.

Thiras
04-22-2007, 12:53 PM
You have to render it two times with xvid, the first time you use 1st pass, the second time you use 2nd pass.

bugz
04-23-2007, 09:24 AM
Ah ok. Thx for that.

Ok so now I get a picture and sound - however when I set the bitrate to 3000 for "Twopass - 2nd pass" the quality is very bad :confused: All other settings should be exactly as in your guide (which is nice btw :))

This is where is have set the bitrate

http://www.mmorpgforum.net/imagehosting/199498462c7419c12f4.jpg (http://www.mmorpgforum.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=33)

EDIT: I'm not sure what you mean by rendering it twice. When rendering using first pass you get the black screen. When you render it the second time - and overwrite - the first file you get the "real" file with picture. But you get that just by rendering it once using 2ndpass and saving the movie by not overwriting the fist pass rendering. So why do you need to render it two times to get picture and do you need to overwrite the first pass rendering or what? The size isn't even smaller than using wmv or am I doing something really wrong here?

wht93teg
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
this is a good question.

should i render it the first time with 1st pass and rerender it a second time with second pass?

or just render it the first time with second pass?

Thiras
05-04-2007, 03:01 PM
this is a good question.

should i render it the first time with 1st pass and rerender it a second time with second pass?

or just render it the first time with second pass?

You should render it the first time with 1st pass and rerender it a second time with second pass.

If 3000 kbps isnt enough, turn it up (try 4000)

bugz
05-06-2007, 09:50 PM
You should render it the first time with 1st pass and rerender it a second time with second pass.

If 3000 kbps isnt enough, turn it up (try 4000)

This still doesn't really answer the question if you have to overwrite the file you get from rendering with 1st pass. :(

If you overwrite the 1st pass file with the 2pass rendering then the result is the same as if you just render it once with 2pass, so I don't really get it.

Furthermore the quality doesn't really seem to be better than vmw when overwriting.

I'm using Sony Vegas 7 and not 6, but I don't think that should be an issue though.

Thiras
05-07-2007, 02:35 PM
This still doesn't really answer the question if you have to overwrite the file you get from rendering with 1st pass. :(

If you overwrite the 1st pass file with the 2pass rendering then the result is the same as if you just render it once with 2pass, so I don't really get it.

Furthermore the quality doesn't really seem to be better than vmw when overwriting.

I'm using Sony Vegas 7 and not 6, but I don't think that should be an issue though.

Overwriting has nothing to do with it.. xvid uses VFW (video for windows), a microsoft API for handling video, which is really damn old and its not too configurable.

The first pass actually does two things:

1) Output a black frame to the file you're saving (to trick VFW, one frame has to go in, one frame has to go out)
2) Write info about the frame to a file called "video.pass" (usually ends up at the c: root). This file is used by the 2nd pass.

If you run the 1st pass only, you get a black screen.
If you run the 2nd pass only.. I dunno, haven't ever done that, there's no reason to.
If you run 1st pass then 2nd pass (and no, you don't have to overwrite the 1st pass) it'll work.

Crim-Chro
05-08-2007, 09:02 PM
hey, i also have a question with this method if you could help me out it would be great...

First i set all my options the same way as in the guide.
1.Then i go and render out the twopass - 1st pass only and save it named Test
2. So i go and change my setting so its twopass - 2nd pass only and save it over the file named Test.
3. Next i open it up to see what it looks like and i see the first second then it turns into these giant blocks of pixels and freezes.

I have no idea what im doing wrong and it would be great if i could get this to work. After rechecking my options over and over i dunno WTF? :confused:

thanks

norpann
10-07-2008, 05:29 PM
i understand what they mean about rerendering with 2nd pass and if you're supposed to write over it or not, cus im having the same problem!