PDA

View Full Version : WCM machinima editor's paranoia blues...

Olibith
05-18-2007, 08:44 AM
After hours and hours of editing instead of sleeping, trying to make it better than the last video, when the movie is finally done, that you've watch it again and again to be sure everything is in place, comes the time to upload it to WCM.

And sometimes, your movie is released with 10 other in the middle of the night, and no one gets to see it.

That's what happened 24 hours ago to my last movie, Never Stay Tuned (http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=40263).
It was recommended while it still was in the unapproved movie section, I know it's WCM way to tag a movie and it does not mean that the movie is gonna be recommended.
But it means one thing, they saw it, they know that the movie is not a simple first pvp movie made with a video cellular phone.

Anyway, my movie was released at the speed of light after uploading, and is now lost in the middle of nowhere.
It's not mine to judge my movie, but man, I can tell that it's at least as good as an Elf On (http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=39755) which was announce 3 days before released on the top right corner of the homepage, recommended and still in the spotlights days after.

This is unfortunately not the first time this kinda things happend to me, like for exemple the Bull Gnome (http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=38392).
Once, I had the chance Gedan saw I'm only sleeping (http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=39043) and decided to make it movie of the day and recommended it.

But only 5 hours later, another movie was promoted movie of the day by another moderator or some anti-french-gnome automatic script.:(

So as you could read, I'm pretty mad and sad. Our job as machinima editors is to make movies the best we can, and I'm really trying hard to.
As the best Warcraft machinima website, I think WCM's job is to help us a little promoting our works regardless of our fame, just looking at the quality of the movies we upload in a fair way.

Now, maybe should I get some sleep when I come back from work for a moment. Maybe am I over reacting, this is perhaps just a useless hobbie after all, and WCM a beast that needs to be feed with full buckets of images and tons of clics.

godliest
05-18-2007, 10:02 AM
I have to agree that it sometimes feels like the more famous authors get recommendations easier, gets into the spotlight easier and so on. For a new author it can be hard to really show your talents when all the older ones always has it easier than you.

The same pretty much goes for ratings. Oxhorn gets his 5/5/5/5 ratings because he's Oxhorn, not necessary because the movie is so awesome it deserves 5/5/5/5. Although, Oxhorn does great movies. I just took Oxhorn as an example...

Regarding the movie: It well deserves a day in the spotlight. It got some sick editing and is fun. In my opinion, (much) better than Oxhorns Elf On.

Keep the good work up Olibith, your added to favorites now. I'm looking forward to more kickass Machinima.

Olibith
05-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your support Godliest :wavey:

Peoples rating high famous editors is fine with me, it's the same thing everytime you have the chance to have an audience, it's not always fair but that's the way it is.

Oh ! Look what's is in the spotlight since 2 hours ?
Elf On !
It might be god or just a moderator, but someone has a sick sense of humor :rofl:

soosisti
05-18-2007, 02:32 PM
It was recommended while it still was in the unapproved movie section, I know it's WCM way to tag a movie and it does not mean that the movie is gonna be recommended.
But it means one thing, they saw it, they know that the movie is not a simple first pvp movie made with a video cellular phone.

--

Now, maybe should I get some sleep when I come back from work for a moment. Maybe am I over reacting, this is perhaps just a useless hobbie after all, and WCM a beast that needs to be feed with full buckets of images and tons of clics.

Same thing has happened to me. For example with Unlimited Escapism vol. 1 and one other movie (can't really remember which one - it had the recommendation when it was on the queue, when it was released - poof and gone).

But on the topic a bit - that movie you released is great. I'm gonna add you to my favourite author list so I won't miss up anything Olibithy next time :P Also, I did not see the movie at all on the unapproved list (I do check it out very often). Or then I just should get better glasses.

Currently WCM is the best place to get your (WoW) machinima shown on the world. The other sites that I know of just don't have a big enough audiece :(

Olibith
05-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Also, I did not see the movie at all on the unapproved list

Nope, it was there just for a few minutes and then was released and forget :confused: .

About the "recommended" star in the unapproved movies, Gedan told me once that it was just a way for them to tag the vidéo before they decide if it should or not get recommended when released... I almost had a heart attack when I saw that the star was gone with my "Prevously on LOST" :mrgreen:

Anyway, thanks a lot Baron ! :)

Olibith
05-18-2007, 10:11 PM
Might be God or a moderator but...
Never Stay Tuned is in the spotlights today :beer: !

godliest
05-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Saw it. Congratulations, even tho I think it should be the featured movie of the day.

Olibith
05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Wow... Recommended and movie of the day...
Should I delete this post ? ^^

:star:

godliest
05-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Naaah, it's thanks to this post that you got it to recommanded movie of the day.

Dwârv
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Relax, Olibith, more then once I thought to myself "Why is this movie recommended - and this one not..?" It's the quality that will win at the end, one way or the other. And your latest movies are high-quality. I know that being recommended and getting loads of comments/ratings is the only "payment" we get, and therefor I understand your point. But as I said - good things come to those who wait. Its an universal rule, you can trust on it.

Olibith
05-22-2007, 01:01 PM
Relax, Olibith, more then once I thought to myself "Why is this movie recommended - and this one not..?" It's the quality that will win at the end, one way or the other. And your latest movies are high-quality. I know that being recommended and getting loads of comments/ratings is the only "payment" we get, and therefor I understand your point. But as I said - good things come to those who wait. Its an universal rule, you can trust on it.

I know you are right Dwârv, you often are and your comments, since i began on WCM, really helped me a lot.
But I can't help it, when one of my movie is finished I just want people to see it and it's like running in circles in my head :stupid: . Fortunately, it stops running after +/- 3000 downloads :mrgreen:, and I can begin to think about the next one. That's where I'm right now, thinking of the next one... It seems to be the coolest moment, maybe should I make it last longer :)

Gedan
05-23-2007, 12:22 PM
We were understaffed the last week and because of it not enough moderators got to screen it and "never stayed tuned" was released without the star, thankfully this post was created and I was contacted to Olibith to review it.

Order was restored and with another day in the spotbox, a recommend star and FMOTD it is now top rated this week with well over 15000 downloads - as it deserves!

I'm sorry for this mishap and encourage anyone in the future to contact me, or any other of our moderators, if they feel something wasn't moderated right on our page.