PDA

View Full Version : Is this an attempt to milk money?

Lodisen
10-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Is this a vague attempt to get some more cash from the Lord of the rings series? I don't really think it's going to live up to all expectations. And do you think a MMORPG game is the right thing for LoTR?

Let's make a LOTR, the sims edition aswell to get some more money, and reach a few more customers. :confused:

xsr1000
10-28-2006, 12:23 PM
This game is long time been working on (I remember the Middle Earth Online days) this is maybe one of the oldest (in development) game based on the lotr scene. But after it became Lord of the Rings online the game went downwards... to probably milking.

Punchline
10-28-2006, 12:57 PM
Ya, I agree with xsr1000. This game is NOT an attempt to make more money. The MMO world NEEDS a lotr game, wether it is good or not.

Uzbeki
10-28-2006, 07:38 PM
Is this a vague attempt to get some more cash from the Lord of the rings series? I don't really think it's going to live up to all expectations. And do you think a MMORPG game is the right thing for LoTR?

Let's make a LOTR, the sims edition aswell to get some more money, and reach a few more customers. :confused:

I think it is pretty hard for a company to make a mmorpg just to "milk" a franchise and be successful at it. Just look at SWG, the only Star Wars mmorpg out there but with a pretty small player base. You have to produce a good quality product to be able to bring in the big bucks. The avg mmorpg player does not want to waste his time with crappy game :)

I predict that we will see a lot of mmorpgs being shut down in 2007-2008 because of a too tiny player base. The competition is getting really stiff.

midgetman99
10-28-2006, 11:15 PM
This is definitely not a milk product. I'm in the Closed Beta atm and I can guarantee you that the dev team spent a lot of time working on this game to get everything right. Tiny bit of lore issues with the "loremaster" class, but they're insignificant, and everythign else works wonderfully lore-wise. The world looks gorgeous, the classes are fun to play with lots of character customization, and a very immersive world. +, the character storyline for the player (if you take the time to read the quests) is the best I've ever seen in an MMO.

Uzbeki
10-29-2006, 06:33 AM
This is definitely not a milk product. I'm in the Closed Beta atm and I can guarantee you that the dev team spent a lot of time working on this game to get everything right. Tiny bit of lore issues with the "loremaster" class, but they're insignificant, and everythign else works wonderfully lore-wise. The world looks gorgeous, the classes are fun to play with lots of character customization, and a very immersive world. +, the character storyline for the player (if you take the time to read the quests) is the best I've ever seen in an MMO.

Sounds great :)
What are the quests like? Are they like most of the WoW quests ("Deliver this to here" or "kill x amount of critters")? Can you give me a general example?

rigryn
10-29-2006, 08:23 AM
One of the primary mistakes I think Turbine made on this game is the fact that they didn't just implement the Lord of the Rings lore and terrain, but actually let the MMORPG play in the time of the characters of the initial series. This basically ruins the space/time idea players have. It feels like having a singleplayer RPG nailed into a forced MMO environment.

I mean, having a quest to help Aragorn do something or fetch something for Gandalf is just weird and they should NEVER have done that. They should have just made a LOTR world and put LOTR lore into it but let it play in a different time, for example the aftermath. At least the game would have had room to scale properly.

Second major point is graphics. They should really start hiring some decent designers. The graphical engine is great, but the atmosphere created is just boring. It doesn't have an idea behind it, like for example the 'cuteness' of WoW. But it seems a bit better than the latest horror product though: DDO :P

Lodisen
10-29-2006, 02:27 PM
This is definitely not a milk product. I'm in the Closed Beta atm and I can guarantee you that the dev team spent a lot of time working on this game to get everything right. Tiny bit of lore issues with the "loremaster" class, but they're insignificant, and everythign else works wonderfully lore-wise. The world looks gorgeous, the classes are fun to play with lots of character customization, and a very immersive world. +, the character storyline for the player (if you take the time to read the quests) is the best I've ever seen in an MMO.Could you give us some insider info about the beta? :D

Punchline
10-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Could you give us some insider info about the beta? :D

QFT!! :p

The Bum
10-29-2006, 05:13 PM
Could you give us some insider info about the beta? :D
That would be nice yes :D

Silveraxe
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
World of Warcraft is the most expensive game i think, my father pays for it so i don't count it expensive ^^

The Bum
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
There are MMOs that are more expensive than wow.

Quazimodo
10-30-2006, 06:24 PM

LOTR's story never fit into a MMO.

kiahann
10-30-2006, 09:10 PM
World of Warcraft is the most expensive game i think, my father pays for it so i don't count it expensive ^^

it isn't THAT expensive

If you did the good deal i did you pay 70$ upfront to start the account and then it's like 12$ every 3 months.

Quazimodo
10-30-2006, 09:12 PM
If you like WoW the monthly fee is nothing, if you skip saturday candy you'll have WoW... and if you have a job you can have both.

Blacktrap
01-27-2007, 04:44 AM
I can't see how they can make an MMORPG out of LOTR. I think it's an attempt to milk cash from the current LOTR popularity and increasing MMORPG market.
I think they've seen the success of WoW and think it's soley due to the fact Warcraft has had a large following and they think that since many people also like LOTR that it will be similarly successful.
However, I think the success of WoW was due to much more than the simple fact Warcraft had a large following before WoW.

I think LOTR will have a subscriber base as big as DAOC did in its prime time (about < 50k people total - which I used to think was huge back when i first started playing but now I think that is tiny compared to WOW's numbers) but then I think it will quickly dwindle. I mean Star Wars had a massive following from the original trilogy and then gained a whole new generation with the prequels but did that make SWG as popular as WOW? Certainly not - but that was because the game was absolutely hopeless. THAT had the potential for a good MMORPG but they stuffed it up horribly.

Kayru
07-22-2007, 01:29 PM

I agree and I don't like it at all... wont play this game for sure. Redicilous idea.

Kayru
07-22-2007, 01:31 PM
There are MMOs that are more expensive than wow.

There are.... but I think monthly fee is bullshit! I think it's very greedy.... they should be happy people buy their game in the first place... I have no idea why it should cost money when you always have to buy the expansion anyway... the ingame service is never that good either... so monthly fee is pissing me off in all games that has it.

cerradura
05-09-2008, 06:00 AM
LOTRO is a pretty good MMO, there are some really good quests