PDA

View Full Version : Death

Quazimodo
10-29-2006, 07:24 PM
The way they handle death is that you will never lose any items or experience, but there is a detrimental effect on some items and on certain skills. None of these effects are permanent. The intention is that you should be somewhat "afraid" to die, but the result shouldn't be serious enough that you stop playing from irritation. On the other side, you shouldn't be blasé about your death, treating it as a means of travel or whatnot. Balance testing will show if they need to differentiate between PVP and PVE. Getting it all right will take some time, but they are working on different versions. The tools they play with are temporarily losing some skills, and making items deteriorate on death - basically what you see in most other online RPGs, but with its own twists.

All monsters, humans and whatnot have several types of fatality moves enabled. This means, basically, that you can die in several horrible, graphic ways. This also means that you can do this to others. Depending on which monster it is, and how they get killed, different types of fatalities will be used including dismemberments and beheadings.

There is a special form of "death" in PVP - with less "downtime" as a result of dying. Details will be given closer to launch.

The Bum
10-29-2006, 07:33 PM
I like that you have more death animations in the game :D I dont know how big that effect on your weapons or skills is, but it shouldnt be too small i think

Quazimodo
10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
Yup, one downside is that it wont probably be beheadings in PVP fights of legal reasons.

unska
10-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Item drop on death is ideal for PvP. Atleast in my opinion.

Uzbeki
10-30-2006, 02:26 PM
Yup, one downside is that it wont probably be beheadings in PVP fights of legal reasons.

I do not understand that this could be a legal problems. I mean as early as in Quake you could blow people to bits with a rocket. :) I personally think it would be a fun feature to have.

kiahann
10-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Yeah that would be fun

Quazimodo
10-30-2006, 03:35 PM
I do not understand that this could be a legal problems. I mean as early as in Quake you could blow people to bits with a rocket. :) I personally think it would be a fun feature to have.

Yeah, but they already have qualified for a Mature rating, they dont want it to be any higher. Quake is rated 18+. Im not really sure about what Mature means, if it's 16+... I know for sure that beheadings wont be put into PVP tho, of "legal" reasons.

Uzbeki
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, but they already have qualified for a Mature rating, they dont want it to be any higher. Quake is rated 18+. Im not really sure about what Mature means, if it's 16+... I know for sure that beheadings wont be put into PVP tho, of "legal" reasons.

It's kinda wierd if AoC gets the same Teen (T) rating as WoW. AoC is way for violent and graphic than WoW.

Quazimodo
10-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Yes I know, but I heard some talk that they'd maybe get banned from some countries if they had beheadings.

Uzbeki
10-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Yes I know, but I heard some talk that they'd maybe get banned from some countries if they had beheadings.

Probably Germany yeah, and that is quite a large market. Too bad they have to give in to goverment interest though :P

Quazimodo
10-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Probably Germany yeah, and that is quite a large market. Too bad they have to give in to goverment interest though :P

Stupid germans need to lose their heads more! :P