PDA

View Full Version : About PvP

The Bum
10-30-2006, 05:41 PM
I have heard alot of nice things about the PvP in this game, so could any of you who have tried it tell me a bit about the PvP and what you think about it?

Quazimodo
11-01-2006, 05:32 PM
What is PvP? How is it handled differently than other MMORPGs?

PvP is shorthand for "Player vs. Player". Some online RPGs do not allow player vs. player combat at all; instead characters fight with NPC monsters this is the model that EverQuest follows, with the exception of a few EQ PvP servers. Others, like Ultima Online, allow everyone to fight everyone else, which can sometimes be chaotic. Camelot will be team-based PvP (based on Realm), where characters will be able to rise up to medium level without having to worry about being marauded by high-level enemies. As the players grow in stature, they will be expected to protect their realm from enemy incursions, as well as occasionally go on raiding parties against other Realms.

In order to allow new players some time to gain experience in the game, each Realm will have its own unique protected adventuring areas that are designed for new players. These areas will allow the new player an opportunity to gain experience without worrying at all about an invasion from across the seas.

Player levels will be based on experience vs. monsters, not vs. other players. At higher levels, players will have to adventure out into regions between the realms, which could bring them into conflict with enemies, but not necessarily so. The true PvP comes into play when actively going out on raids, or protecting your Relics from enemy invasions.

Each player accumulates "Realm Points" while either defending their Realm against enemy invasions or going out on raiding parties. As the player gains Realm Points, they gain special titles, objects, and status. The game will not force players into PvP, but if you choose to do so, you will become more powerful.

How will Camelot's PvP discourage "Grief" players?

An unfortunate situation has arisen in several currently-available online games where some game players go out of their way to ruin the gaming experience for other players by killing them repeatedly, "stealing" their monster kills, and generally making an nuisance of themselves. Camelot has several built-in methods for discouraging this behavior.

The main protection against grief players is that, in Dark Age of Camelot, you may attack only members of opposite Realms. Also you cannot communicate with players of enemy realms - there will be no chatting allowed with enemies - this is done to heighten the "foreigness" of enemy players. In fact, the game makes enemy players seem as much like NPCs as possible. Please note that there are special servers (see question below), where you can group with players from other Realms, and thus communicate with them.

Hope that helps :P

The Bum
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
It helps, but what i really want is the oppinion from someone who has played it :D

Quazimodo
11-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Oh ok, I cant help you then :P

Lodisen
11-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Imo the pvp is lacking excitement in DAoC

Blacktrap
01-27-2007, 04:53 AM
I could only tell you how things used to be up to around the time of the first 2 expansions and the beginning of the the "New Frontiers" free expansion which dramatically changed both the focus of PVP and the areas in which it took place.
Also, in DAOC PVP is called RVR which stands for realm vs realm. In DAOC a realm is another word for a faction or side (like horde and alliance in WOW).