PDA

View Full Version : Everything wrong with PvP videos(Nearly).

AngryMonkey
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I've been a part of WCM for some time now, even before I made an account here, I always enjoyed watching the latest PvP videos. Some of my favorites are videos by Faxmonkey, Shiboe, and anything out of the ordinary in the bland and tasteless swamp that WCM has become. It seems that every time I hop on here to check out what's new, it's pretty much the same thing every time. Sometimes it doesn't even change, even in weeks.

There's always some rogue in a high ranked arena team looking to show everyone how skilled and cool he is. That's great! Now maybe if they put as much effort as they did into their arena rating into making the movie fun and enjoyable to watch, then maybe I'd take that time to actually watch it.

1) Stop using metal.

I'm not sure who the first idiot was who decided that some guy screaming at my face would be the best way for me to experience his video, but seriously, it just makes me think you're not a very pleasant person. Let's use an example: Soilwork is a very respectable band, I enjoy hearing a good song by them every once in a while, but that's it. It seems that I can't watch a single movie without at least 3 or 4 songs by them. I tend to just skip that part of the movie, searching for the part where the player starts taking himself seriously, but I usually end up at the credits with some Linkin Park song playing. I guess I wouldn't be so bothered by this if metal in general wasn't so overplayed in PvP videos, but I suppose I can only make fun of you for doing it.

2) Arenas

Whether a movie is entirely composed of arena clips or if it's a small part of a much larger video, I find arenas very annoying to watch. Now, this could be that I believe that the arena system is very broken and not fun to play, or it could be that the teams I see winning are the teams that beat my teams, thus making me hate arenas. Mostly though, I find that arena clips are pretty much the same. Arenas were great when they first came out, but that horse has been slaughtered, eaten, shat out, and stomped on far too many times over. If you're going to make an arena video, at least mix it up a bit.

3) Highlight Reels

When did the occasional highlight reel become so uncommon? I miss the big crits on badly geared clothies and such. When did someone throw a book at hitting shit hard? Isn't that why you spent hours grinding arenas and BGs for that gear? I'm not talking a small reel of 4 or 5 very short clips lined up, I mean on the scale of that video by Burn(For those of you who remember it). You could be the most skilled player in the world and I'd still call your video crap for not having fun with your hard earned gear.

That's all for now. I might add more later, but don't count on it considering WCM has sunk to a whole new level of boring. I hardly hop on anymore because of the same shit that's highest rated every week.

Edit: 6/30/08

4) Battleground PvP

Remember the first Swifty video? I don't remember where it was in the movie, but there was a clip in there of his crew and he in WSG tearing things apart. I genuienly enjoyed watching that. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a good warrior video, but I've always enjoyed watching warrior killing sprees across any battleground or world pvp, healers or no healers. So when did that die out? Swifty is the one of the only ones I've seen still doing this. Maybe it's just there aren't that many warriors making good enough videos to get on the front page, or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Note: If you can find any good warrior videos, feel free to link them.

-AngryMonkey

Dwârv
04-12-2008, 04:01 AM
Word,man...

Aside the fact, that it's all a question of personal taste, I sign your thread.
But - still, from time to time, there are some refreshing PvP movies coming in.So why not just skip those ones, which are obviously of the kind you mentioned (doesn't take that long to identify them, 30 seconds or so.
Plus - Theres so much other stuff here:comedy,storyline,random stuff and these are the movies I come here for.
And anyway, Shadow Word Dance 3 never fails to entertain, even after the 5th time watching (just an example, there are more PvP vids always worth an additional view)

Regards

Dwârv

Ashuren
04-15-2008, 08:53 PM
That is why instead of the lame PvP videos, watch the intresting storyline/comedy/music/action, ect. videos.

Silet
04-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Yeah, frankly, I believe that the PvP videos are getting slightly out of hand. I know quite a few authors that want to publish a movie here, but are too afraid that within a day, it will be pushed off the page by the PvP videos.

In my honest opinion, and this one goes out to the majority of PvP videos (granted there actually being some great ones): No one cares about your 1700 rating, you're not a unique butterfly, sit down and shut the **** up.

:\

Stormscape
04-23-2008, 03:23 AM
I'd like to /sign this thread too.

The flood of PvP vids has gotten truly ridiculous.

Pamis
06-24-2008, 05:02 PM
A couple things, i see no real problem with what you are saying. You explain what you don't like about pvp videos, but there's the thing its completely opinionated. Now you come across me who i actually like all the things you stated, but yes! there are some really bad pvp movies out there... but that is something that will always be. There are always new players who want to try there first movie. There are always bad ones, and then there's the occasional new one which is just amazing to watch. I can see where you are coming from to say the pvp videos are bad, and i agree on an aspect that alot of new editors dont make the best films. But i dont agree that arena/metal are the cause to this (opinion)

AngryMonkey
06-30-2008, 02:14 PM
A couple things, i see no real problem with what you are saying. You explain what you don't like about pvp videos, but there's the thing its completely opinionated. Now you come across me who i actually like all the things you stated, but yes! there are some really bad pvp movies out there... but that is something that will always be. There are always new players who want to try there first movie. There are always bad ones, and then there's the occasional new one which is just amazing to watch. I can see where you are coming from to say the pvp videos are bad, and i agree on an aspect that alot of new editors dont make the best films. But i dont agree that arena/metal are the cause to this (opinion)

It's not just the new editors, I see plenty of people on their six or seventh video in their series who keep doing the same thing. It just gets old. I'm not asking for a new gamebreaking pvp video, I just want people to mix it up a bit instead of doing whatever Swifty is doing.