PDA

View Full Version : The fifth rating perimeter?

Abyzz
04-24-2008, 11:04 PM
For some time it has bothered me that rating has fully neglected the character-aspect of movies. Content describes what's going on in the movie, and what content we're presented with, but meanwhile we forget the pixels in the center - the character - which ultimately is what it's all about. I am of course talking about skills here. With the introduction of the 'Skill?' system WCM partially solved this. And when I only say partially it's because I find skills to be as good a perimeter as any in judging a movie, and should be just as important as editing and image quality. As of now it's more of a popularity factor - skill points being awarded not because of reaction times or abilities with the character/party/raid at hand, but as an overall means to show your appreciation for the movie as well. As a direct consequence, "Most Skilled" doesn't at all resemble who is the most skilled.

That aside, why should this not be part of the evaluation of the movie? I have seen several movies with bad A/V quality, poor content, and non-existent editing, that I still enjoyed watching purely because of the way the player made his/her character achieve great things. As of now I'd award such movies 1-2 stars based on what I can actually rate, an evaluation that doesn't match the entertainment value of the movie which, let's face it, is the main selling point of any movie. What we find entertaining is certainly a subjective discussion, but more rating perimeters means a chance for us to give a more accurate evaluation of our experience, and surely the player should be at the center of our thoughts. Literally.