PDA

View Full Version : Information about City of Heroes

baloo
10-18-2006, 03:05 PM
this game is based on the superhero comic book genre, developed by Cryptic Studios. The gamelaunched on April 28, 2004.

In the game, players create superhero player characters who can team up with others to fight various villains in Paragon City and its surrounding areas. Heroes must fight members of various gangs and organizations and complete quests in order to increase their level.

Punchline
10-18-2006, 07:56 PM
Must. Sticky. This. Thread!!

You forgot!! :p

Quazimodo
10-30-2006, 05:36 PM
I heard the best part of this game was the character customization, except for that the game really doesnt have much to offer.

Ricje
11-01-2006, 08:17 AM
I played City of Heroes before I started playing World of Warcraft.

When you're starting a new character you will basicly have to pick your desires. What role do you want to play during team battles (missions, task forces etc) and what sub role?

The game itself looks nice, and it's fun to play. But after a while it gets a bit boring, the reason for this is that its all the same. There are only a certain amount of maps so you see the same terrain quite often.

Besides that, the missions are pretty much the same. "Defeat --- of ----" where --- is number and ---- is faction.

Unlike other games (Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft for example) getting new "abilities" does not cost a thing, but the downside of this is that you have to buy upgrades called enhancements to improve the damage you deal, to reduce the damage you take, to increase the chance you can hit a villain etcetera.

The Player versus Player thing is a joke in my eyes. It's just constant fighting without a certain goal. I have not PvP'éd that much mainly because of this.

Recently I saw my brother, who still plays CoH, do a new type where you have to capture bases. But with the amount of people that want to do that type of PvP it's pretty much over after a few minutes.

After I hit level 50 I stopped playing because everything was the same, there were never patches where they added something cool (at that time, over a year ago) so I lost interest.

Missions are mostly the same. Taskforces on the otherhand are like long lasting runs (3-8 hours depending on the taskforce) which you can do starting at a certain level. The taskforces got a level cap, which means that you have to be within a certain level to be able to do it. If you're lower, you can't do it. If you're higher, your level and powers will be reduced to meet the maximum allowed level of that taskforce.

The difficulty to find people to do a taskforce is a different thing. You always have to find people willing to do it and able to stay for the full duration. Because you can't invite (or reinvite if they leave and want to rejoin) people when you started it.

My opinion about City of Heroes: I like the ability to make your costume unique. I like the powers you can pick. I dislike the fact that everything about the missions is the same. The Player versus Player thing is mostly a joke compared to that of other MMORPG's.

DamionFury
11-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Nice info. +Rep 4 j00! :D

The Bum
11-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I agree with Ricje, i played the trial and it took me hours to make my character, and it was fun in the start but i also got bored in the end.

Quazimodo
11-01-2006, 03:58 PM
I played City of Heroes before I started playing World of Warcraft.

When you're starting a new character you will basicly have to pick your desires. What role do you want to play during team battles (missions, task forces etc) and what sub role?

The game itself looks nice, and it's fun to play. But after a while it gets a bit boring, the reason for this is that its all the same. There are only a certain amount of maps so you see the same terrain quite often.

Besides that, the missions are pretty much the same. "Defeat --- of ----" where --- is number and ---- is faction.

Unlike other games (Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft for example) getting new "abilities" does not cost a thing, but the downside of this is that you have to buy upgrades called enhancements to improve the damage you deal, to reduce the damage you take, to increase the chance you can hit a villain etcetera.

The Player versus Player thing is a joke in my eyes. It's just constant fighting without a certain goal. I have not PvP'éd that much mainly because of this.

Recently I saw my brother, who still plays CoH, do a new type where you have to capture bases. But with the amount of people that want to do that type of PvP it's pretty much over after a few minutes.

After I hit level 50 I stopped playing because everything was the same, there were never patches where they added something cool (at that time, over a year ago) so I lost interest.

Missions are mostly the same. Taskforces on the otherhand are like long lasting runs (3-8 hours depending on the taskforce) which you can do starting at a certain level. The taskforces got a level cap, which means that you have to be within a certain level to be able to do it. If you're lower, you can't do it. If you're higher, your level and powers will be reduced to meet the maximum allowed level of that taskforce.

The difficulty to find people to do a taskforce is a different thing. You always have to find people willing to do it and able to stay for the full duration. Because you can't invite (or reinvite if they leave and want to rejoin) people when you started it.

My opinion about City of Heroes: I like the ability to make your costume unique. I like the powers you can pick. I dislike the fact that everything about the missions is the same. The Player versus Player thing is mostly a joke compared to that of other MMORPG's.

Nice post! +rep

JBWarsmith
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I thought it was time the info for this game got an update.

I've been playing CoX (City of Heroes/Villains) for 2 years now. only left for a short period where i flirted with WoW.
Now i'm back and enjoying it even more.

updated info:
ATs (arctypes): there are 5 basic ATs for heroes and 5 for villains. once you reach lvl 50 with either a hero or a villainyou will gain access to another 2 ATs called Epic AT.
A lvl 50 hero gives you access to a Kheldian. an alien spirit/essence of sort that has merged with a human. these are very different from the basic ATs and can get the ability to shapechange.
A lvl 50 villain gives you access to one of the arachnos spider ATs either a Widow or a Huntsman. these will in time be able to choose a specialization.
this gives a total of 14 different (some unique) ATs to play and explore.

The Game: the game is constantly evolving through the free updates (called issues) 3-4 times a year NCnorcal has new content for players to enjoy. in the latest issue (#12) they had a new zone called Cimerora and a new Taskforce. this was a rather small issue, but they have already revealed what will be in the next issue (#13). there should be a mission creator so you can make your own missions and story arcs, maybe even Taskforces. there will be 2 new power sets to choose from when you create a new character (Toon). + new content for the Cimerora zone. The introduction of the invention system also helped alot to make your toon more unique as you can build various types of enhancements instead of just buying regular ones.

PvP: hasnt improved one bit! the game started out as City of Heroes and didnt have a real PvP system. once City of Villains was released the added 3 PvP zones where heroes and villain could fight against each other, and 1 free for all PvP zone. there is still a lot of ballance issues, and you should never buy the game if you want to PvP.

Why do i still play it after 2 years?:
thats an easy question! i love the community and the whole comic book hero/villain aspect of the game. it's tru that misions can feel repetitive and uninventive, but there is so much content now that there is almost always a story arc you cant remember or just really loves to play (the Faultline Zone arc is my favorite). with all the ATs and powers to choose from i always has a new idea to a build i want to try out. so far i only have 3 lvl 50 on 2 accounts + another 3 in their 40's (and numerous other lowies, for a total of 45 toons). when i get tired of one toon i just find another that fits my mood.

Would i recommend this game to others?:
With danger of sounding like a fanboy - yes! i think people should give it a try with a free trial (obtainable from eu.plaync.com (http://eu.plaync.com)) or maybe take a look at the official forum (http://uk.boards.cityofheroes.com/ubbthreads.php)

if you do give it a try you can always try to contact me by writing ingame to @jb-warsmith or @jb-warrior

JB out! :top:

EDIT!: typo

jetjetster
07-22-2009, 02:41 AM
Just to add a little bit as im hearing alot of people who seem to be putting this game down somewhat, id just like to add that WoW's expansions and big new patches are a joke, you get 1 every 4-6 months that brings in 1 new dungeon with some new pieces of armour, in city of heroes you get a huge patch every 2-3 months and these patches include new zones, new mobs, new classes, hundreds of new costume pieces, whilst the map design and missions can be dull for the earlier levels there is now a new mode where players can design there own story arcs and play through them from map design to the costume the mobs wear and even the mobs attacks/special abilitys, this adds a massive variety to the missions and there is nothing better than 7 or 8 heroes battling through a warehouse full of tiny Ronald Mcdonalds trying to rescue the burger princess.

the PVP is dissapointing but it was never designed to be a pvp game however i think the supergroup battles are amazing (when you get one going) and the idea of building a guild/supergroup base is great fun with everybody contributing as well as the sense of accomplishment you get from building a huge base you also gain buffs/teleports to each zone for quick transport and vendors etc that are only available from your guild base, all of this is stealable during raids on your guild base (these raids are entirely optional so theres no obligation or random threat)

xong319
05-24-2010, 12:36 PM
well honestly speaking i was not a fan of superhero game even i didn't like those type of game but after i played city of heroes i really find it very interesting and the use of powers and all it just amazing experience