PDA

View Full Version : Mage or rogue for World pvp?

Darkanatomy
12-26-2006, 08:39 AM
Topic says it,

kiahann
12-26-2006, 01:31 PM
There both great at World PvP it's just a matter of who you want a Range caster or a deadly melee fighter.

boneyb
12-26-2006, 05:12 PM
To be frank, rogue has distinct advantages over a mage. I'm not saying mage doesn't have advantages at all, but rogue IMO would be better.

Reasons:
1) Can usually get first strike against any class. I say "usually" because a lot of hunters tend to lay frost traps down while they eat/drink/fight a mob to prevent such gankage.

2) Stealth. World of Roguecraft 3 makes a good example of this. You can pick and choose your targets. If you don't like the opponent, you can simply turn around and walk the other way.

3) Rogues argueably take no skill if you have the mods. But, they take a lot of practice and timing. Just depends on who you talk to about it. Leading to the point that you can keep a target in perfect stunlock if you time it right. However, mages can blink out of this which makes them more deadly to deal with. Refer to World of Roguecraft 1 for good examples.

Lets look at mage now. I've never played a mage, but I have been decimated by them plenty of times. Reasons:

1) Can also get first strike with polymorph. However, after 2.0 you have 16seconds to set up and fire off a nuke. So make sure you're at max distance.

2) Blink. You can get out of nearly every stun with this ability which makes you pretty hard to kill if you keep moving.

3) Frost Nova and nuke is a great combo. I usually get 2 shotted on my warrior by a decently geared mage. Unknown is a good series of movies to watch. He does a lot of world pvp as a fire mage and does a pretty damn good job of it.

Hope this helps some.

Waverian
12-27-2006, 02:25 AM
If you're talking about performance in PvP, then it's all down to preference, they're both good classes.

However a mage may have more occurrences of world pvp:

It's much easier to land slows, since you don't have to be in melee range and hope for a crip proc. This prevents running.

Polymorph can stop people running or mounted also, unlike a rogue who has to be both lucky enough to be in melee range, and actually land a CS on a mounted player (not fun with any amount of latency). Then the luck of poison procs comes in.

If you're a rogue, you'd want to be waiting stealth at an area for maximum effectiveness. That means if somebody of the opposite faction is spotting the same area you're at looking for PvP, he may run off since there's nobody visible. A mage is out in the open and can be engaged by somebody else looking for more pvp.

And finally a mage is more self-sustaining. You make your own consumables for mana regen, can get water and food at will, and require no reagents for solo play. Which means a mage can log in and go straight to world pvp literally all day and never have to stop. A rogue would have to stock up on plenty of food from somebody else, flash & blinding powder, and some of each poison they'd use. If they run out, they've got down time where they've got to restock and could miss some pvp.

Zlatko
12-27-2006, 03:12 AM
I have both...

Personally i like a mage cause it really requires a lot of skill to actually be good with it.
Mage can be awsome if played right ... its very mana consumable... so u can only go so far with it......which mean u choose to have intelect and stamina... u can nuke 1-2-3 ppl then ur gona die definetly...if ur good enough to last that long... so ull be sitting down and drinking like 30% of your playing time..
Mage = fun but its really frustrating that ur limited to dealing dmg

Rouge is really fun as well... much less skill required to be good with.... basicly u put tons of agility and u can go around killing stuff like there is no tomorrow. If u got potions and learn first aid... u'll be constantly dealing tons of dmg... but u will ge very frustrated fighting against mages and well geared warriors

If u really want to just have fun then rogue... if just to destroy then mage

Darkanatomy
12-27-2006, 06:36 AM
I have both...

Personally i like a mage cause it really requires a lot of skill to actually be good with it.
Mage can be awsome if played right ... its very mana consumable... so u can only go so far with it......which mean u choose to have intelect and stamina... u can nuke 1-2-3 ppl then ur gona die definetly...if ur good enough to last that long... so ull be sitting down and drinking like 30% of your playing time..
Mage = fun but its really frustrating that ur limited to dealing dmg

Rouge is really fun as well... much less skill required to be good with.... basicly u put tons of agility and u can go around killing stuff like there is no tomorrow. If u got potions and learn first aid... u'll be constantly dealing tons of dmg... but u will ge very frustrated fighting against mages and well geared warriors

If u really want to just have fun then rogue... if just to destroy then mage

What do you mean to limited to dealing dmg? what happened to Evocation,mana gems. etc

engai
03-15-2007, 07:07 AM
I really agree with boneyb on many points, but I'd like to say the rogues are very awesome. With a classical talent(22,8,21), if they like to use the skills and items properly to kill a mage, it won't be so difficult. :)

vulgear
11-13-2007, 03:37 PM
rouge because you can easily get the first attack and most people won't react instantly if there randomly attacked out of nowhere probably giving you an extra 5 sec