PDA

View Full Version : Top Skilled '08 Winners are!

Uzbeki
03-09-2009, 02:20 PM
<p>Be it your bitter rival or respected hero, the votes has been cast and after more than 118,000 we now know who among the 98 top contestants made the biggest impression!<br /><br />The Top Skilled '08 are in order:<br /><br /></p><blockquote><strong><font face="verdana,geneva" size="3">1st place - <a href="viewauthor.php?id=8057">Neilyo</a></font><br /><br /><font face="verdana,geneva" size="3">2nd place - <a href="viewauthor.php?id=13654">Noone</a></font><br /><br /><font face="verdana,geneva" size="3">3rd place - <a href="viewauthor.php?id=551">Drakedog</a></font><br /><br /><font face="verdana,geneva" size="3">4th place - <a href="viewauthor.php?id=11960">Sonydigital</a></font><br /><br /><font face="verdana,geneva" size="3">5th place - <a href="viewauthor.php?id=17395">Hydra</a></font></strong><br /></blockquote><p><br />Congratulations to all of you!<br /><br />We also randomly picked five users who voted in our Voters Lottery to win 2 month premium:</p><p>1J4ck1<br />RRRevy<br />threepwould<br />stambezito<br />aslater55 <br /></p><p>That concludes 2008 Top Skilled and with and we are sure to come back next year too. Big thanks goes out to all our members and to our Sponsor <a href="http://steelseries.com/int/reseller/content">SteelSeries.com</a> for pulling out some nice gadgets on such a short notice!<br /><br />Stay tuned for future <a href="contest">contests coming soon!</a></p><br><br><b>Read the full version of this news item on <a href="http://www.warcraftmovies.com/main.php#3099">WarcraftMovies.com</a></b>

Haaskis
03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Well it's something like I would have imagined to be anyway. :)

WatafaBoom
03-09-2009, 03:09 PM
this poll is a lie! prove that neilyo is good on world pvp! just arena vids, getting carried.

Hinkeypro
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
drakedog shoudhave won !!!

silk1530
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
omg why neilyo, i cant get it why he won it

-Majestic-
03-09-2009, 03:34 PM
No, it's impossible!

Fiuez
03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
this poll is a lie! prove that neilyo is good on world pvp! just arena vids, getting carried.

wtf r u speakin about? check his first pre-tbc movies for instance and u will see world pvp.

as for me, i quite disappointed that noone is 2nd. i really believed that he will get 1st place.

and, to be honest, i think that drakedog should not be in the list of winners.
buddhist, akrios, mahiko - yes, they deserve it, really.

anyway.. congratulations!

silk1530
03-09-2009, 05:06 PM
wtf r u speakin about? check his first pre-tbc movies for instance and u will see world pvp.

as for me, i quite disappointed that noone is 2nd. i really believed that he will get 1st place.

and, to be honest, i think that drakedog should not be in the list of winners.
buddhist, akrios, mahiko - yes, they deserve it, really.

anyway.. congratulations!

no1 cares about his pre-tbc movies, cause its top skilled '08 not anything else

Fiuez
03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
no1 cares about his pre-tbc movies, cause its top skilled '08 not anything else

no one cares about 7 2007 drakedog's movies.
isn't it quite silly to speak that neilyo can't do anything outside arena if we can see world pvp in pre-tbc, amazing skill in duels in all other movies. and, btw, don't 2600+ arena show real skill? no?

P.S. as for me, i voted for noone, mahiko and tuska, untill last round. in last - noone, mahiko, neilyo.

WatafaBoom
03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
i cant understand something. buddhist is Ranked 1 in pvp on warcraftmovies.com . and on top skilled he is not even in the first 5 ? something is wrong here.

and neilyo... omg too many duel vids with the same "Rogue tricks".
and in duels...you know that you have to fight with one person per time. world pvp ? u never know what will happen. these is the fact to understand if someone has reall good skills and reflexes, for me.

atleast buddhists , mahikos and akrios vids was really entertaining and all of them showed that the makers have skills. and i think they've already proved that many times.

am i wrong?

Fiuez
03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
forget.

neilyo for me is the person who know "rogue-technics" almost perfectly, and has a playstyle.. mm, like a machine, i would say. and his movies like a books, u can learn a lot from them, but it's not always really entertaining because of lack of world pvp in his last movies, i can agree with that point. but.. we speak about skill.. so, he is a winner.

buddhist, mahiko, akrios - it's a rogue-players for me, that can show themself in a different ways, their movies can entertain people by mixture of skill, editing, action and a fun-content.

tuska + vilden instead of lecken and drakedog could be better.
tuska is the best priest i have ever seen. 1x1, 2400+ with Boozt, world-pvp. everything.
vilden is a really skilled mage, i would say.
drakedog - ok, i wouldn't say anything about him as a player, he is an inspirer of at least half of lock-community and amazing player, but only 1 movie in 2008, and one of the worst, unfortunately. top3?. maybe i don't understand something..
lecken - ok, funny movies, but he's really improved his skills in wotlk and showed it in his 3rd movie, that was realised in 2009, btw. nothing really intersting in first 2, imho.

so.. if we are speaking ONLY about skill, top5 for me is:
neilyo
hydra
noone
tuska
akrios/mahiko/buddhist

if about movies (skill, editing e.t.c.):

noone
buddhist
akrios
chrille
tuska

p.s. all written - imho.
p.s.s. sry for bad english.

Zaxoin
03-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I must say that according to the efforts that people like Noone and Drakedog does into making their video is nothing what Neilyo does. He is a good rogue, I give you that, but all I see is him with his ratings and arena matches. I have not seen him in TBC as WPvP. I find his movies uncreative, it's the same all over, but then again it is top skilled. Although I have never seen anyone like Noone being able to do what he does. Yes Neilyo has amazing ratings, but the other authors make such an efforts into their movies with new music, and as for buddhist that found an entirely new author for his songs (Ronald Jenkees) and then when I saw a newer movie of Neilyo I was shocked, since he ALSO used Ronald Jenkees.... Really not creative, and prove me wrong, but I found it really like a big "copycat".

Like I said, Neilyo does the same over and over again. He is not nearly as creative as people like Mahiko, Buddhist, Noone, Drakedog or Sonydigital. I completely agree with WatafaBoom, Neilyo slacks at getting better making movies. He just don't deserve this, it's because of all the "OMG IT'S NEILYO" fan groupies...

Zaxoin
03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
forget.

neilyo for me is the person who know "rogue-technics" almost perfectly, and has a playstyle.. mm, like a machine, i would say. and his movies like a books, u can learn a lot from them, but it's not always really entertaining because of lack of world pvp in his last movies, i can agree with that point. but.. we speak about skill.. so, he is a winner.

buddhist, mahiko, akrios - it's a rogue-players for me, that can show themself in a different ways, their movies can entertain people by mixture of skill, editing, action and a fun-content.

tuska + vilden instead of lecken and drakedog could be better.
tuska is the best priest i have ever seen. 1x1, 2400+ with Boozt, world-pvp. everything.
vilden is a really skilled mage, i would say.
drakedog - ok, i wouldn't say anything about him as a player, he is an inspirer of at least half of lock-community and amazing player, but only 1 movie in 2008, and one of the worst, unfortunately. top3?. maybe i don't understand something..
lecken - ok, funny movies, but he's really improved his skills in wotlk and showed it in his 3rd movie, that was realised in 2009, btw. nothing really intersting in first 2, imho.

so.. if we are speaking ONLY about skill, top5 for me is:
neilyo
hydra
noone
tuska
akrios/mahiko/buddhist

if about movies (skill, editing e.t.c.):

noone
buddhist
akrios
chrille
tuska

p.s. all written - imho.
p.s.s. sry for bad english.

Like I said, Neilyo is good yes, but he slacks moviemaking and creativity. It's just the same all over and over again. Nothing new, and nothing special. I have seen vanish on blind before, but I haven't seen a person like Akrios who is so fast in his movements and reads his opponent. Neilyo needs creativity, moviemaking and something that makes him more special. Anyone can make a movie like he does...

AriadD
03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Kinda sad, Neilyo works with windows movie maker and Noone, Buddhist, Akrios and others work hours and hours for good movies. Neilyo is skilled ofc, but he never showed us more than his rushed movie collection.

Zaxoin
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Exactly my point. He doesn't deserve winning it when he makes such rushed movies, which pretty much all contains the same... The other good skilled players spent hours, days and weeks on their movie. Neilyo smack it together, and then it's done. I'm very dissapointed that someone that lazy can win a prize like this, it was just a huge shock to me.

Tuskatappaja
03-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Exactly my point. He doesn't deserve winning it when he makes such rushed movies, which pretty much all contains the same... The other good skilled players spent hours, days and weeks on their movie. Neilyo smack it together, and then it's done. I'm very dissapointed that someone that lazy can win a prize like this, it was just a huge shock to me.

It's the top skilled 2008 title and not the machinima title isn't it?
Anyway this is how I imagined it to be. Buddhist doesn't come close when it comes to top skilled, Mahiko is pretty good tho. Both entertaining moviemakers. Akrios is a close second and definetly would deserve to be one of the top5. Neilyo is a Brutal/Vengeful Gladiator and he fights in the ESL tournaments, and Akrios is a Merciless Gladiator. Buddhist has funny movies, world pvp and arena movies from the Duelist/Gladiator bracket, and a late s4 movie without the actual s4 shoulders, and I've watched the livestream gameplay which wasn't very promosing.
So, Imo who really would deserve the title would be either Neilyo or Hydra, Hydra is a Merciless/Vengeful/Brutal Gladiator from the Nihilum ESL tournament team, and the best disc priest I've ever played against, and he has awesome movies showing flawless gameplay.

Hinkeypro
03-10-2009, 07:39 PM
but drakedog crits high :(

Tuskatappaja
03-10-2009, 08:57 PM
ye :D

lecken
03-11-2009, 12:12 AM
but drakedog crits high

hahahaha i rly laughed:D....

mortalseraphim
03-11-2009, 04:26 AM

thought for sure he was going to get #1 because of it, rofl

Locke02
03-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Too bad vurtne didn't really do anything in '08

Zaxoin
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
It's the top skilled 2008 title and not the machinima title isn't it?
Anyway this is how I imagined it to be. Buddhist doesn't come close when it comes to top skilled, Mahiko is pretty good tho. Both entertaining moviemakers. Akrios is a close second and definetly would deserve to be one of the top5. Neilyo is a Brutal/Vengeful Gladiator and he fights in the ESL tournaments, and Akrios is a Merciless Gladiator. Buddhist has funny movies, world pvp and arena movies from the Duelist/Gladiator bracket, and a late s4 movie without the actual s4 shoulders, and I've watched the livestream gameplay which wasn't very promosing.
So, Imo who really would deserve the title would be either Neilyo or Hydra, Hydra is a Merciless/Vengeful/Brutal Gladiator from the Nihilum ESL tournament team, and the best disc priest I've ever played against, and he has awesome movies showing flawless gameplay.

I can see your point Tuska, but you must agree with me on the fact that Neilyos movies really isn't that entertaining, from my point of view at least. If he used more time on his movies, I definetly think his movies would be a lot better then they are atm.
But he is definetly a very high skilled rogue, but not everything lies in the ratings and titles. Maybe he did deserve it, I just think he could have made more effort into getting it.

Minustaurus
03-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Neilyo is highskilled.. oh yes! But his videos are sooo fuckin boring.

Tuskatappaja
03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
I can see your point Tuska, but you must agree with me on the fact that Neilyos movies really isn't that entertaining, from my point of view at least. If he used more time on his movies, I definetly think his movies would be a lot better then they are atm.
But he is definetly a very high skilled rogue, but not everything lies in the ratings and titles. Maybe he did deserve it, I just think he could have made more effort into getting it.

That's true ofc, he smashes his clips into WMM and renders it with terrible music and adds one or two slow-mo's, and is a very cocky person aswell, who would wan't to watch that? Perhaps people that are looking for tactics and learning new things from the leading players, not for people that wan't to be entertained :P
But nevertheless it is the top skilled contest, not the moviemaking or entertainment contest :)

collapsex
03-11-2009, 01:07 PM
who cares.
Akrios and Buddhist still the best.
for me.
peace.

WatafaBoom
03-11-2009, 02:44 PM
who cares.
Akrios and Buddhist still the best.
for me.
peace.

:top: :)

likopoulos
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Neilyo should not have won... he's good, but not that good... he had to transfer off of the Rampage BG because he couldn't break 2k there...

Piccolo_Kargath
03-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Just stupid that Hydra didn't win...

Cyrant
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I don't really like Neilyo, or his movies, but he is a very skilled rogue which I guess was all this contest was about.

Hinkeypro
03-13-2009, 08:03 PM
neilyo SUCKS!! wheres HIS high CRITS? :S

Osirisofdoom
03-14-2009, 07:23 PM
@ Everyone saying Nielyo's movies aren't entertaining...

This contest was not about how flashy your movie is.

This contest was not about how entertained you were by the author's movies.

This contest was about voting for the TOP SKILLED player.

With all that said, I still don't think Nielyo should have won, he's good but there are better players with movies on this site. He simply won do to fan-boys voting for him.

mortalseraphim
03-15-2009, 12:55 AM
@ Everyone saying Nielyo's movies aren't entertaining...

This contest was not about how flashy your movie is.

This contest was not about how entertained you were by the author's movies.

This contest was about voting for the TOP SKILLED player.

With all that said, I still don't think Nielyo should have won, he's good but there are better players with movies on this site. He simply won do to fan-boys voting for him.

This.

The fact that Neilyo has no editing leaves one to look ONLY at the skilled things he does in his vids, which are not very impressive. Vanish deathcoils/cheapshots/blinds, EAing with breaking sap, it's simple shit that he exaggerates and pretends it makes him amazing.

I could make a vid with shit editing, and only slow mo the omg leet skillz parts, and people would fall for the illusion of skill, but I enjoy making high quality vids and not "look what every decent rogue can do" vids.

RopeDrink
03-15-2009, 04:58 AM
Not in the slightest bit suprised as to who won.

Truth be told I didn't vote for Neilyo in one single round, not that I have anything against him, nor because I don't think he's a good Rogue, more a case of just deep down in the back of my mind being a softy for more entertaining movies considering I'm one of those people without an iota of skill in PvP and yet still make a whole series of movies about it in the interest of 'trying' to entertain and/or purely because I love making movies.

Does that make me and my voting choice wrong considering it's a 'skill' contest rather than, as someone mentioned earlier, a flashy/machinima contest?

To a degree, yes, but to me a lot of skill is also involved in the making of the icing that tops the cake. It's true that a lot of movie makers can, and do, hide a lot from the viewer through editing, but there are also people in the contest who are most definately skilled players AND took the time to incorporate ways to keep their movie entertaining as well, without having anything to hide - This, to me, means a hell of a lot more than a straight up, mostly untouched movie showing fights (Arena/World/Duels/BG or whatever) that show their skill yet nothing more, which are what I find in Neilyo's movies, hence I do not watch them nor rate them. Nothing against him at all, I just can't sit through a raw movie, beit hyper skilled or not, therefor I can't really vote on what I have not seen much of.

That being said I hold little weight in movies that focus 100% on editing and have absolutely no skill, so my voting choice was strictly based on those I knew where skilled players who also entertained me along the way.

Kudos to the winners, runners up and everyone who took the time to set up the event and there is always next year!

Zaxoin
03-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I leave all respect to Buddhist and Ropedrink for these words, and any other moviemaker that makes his movies entertaining. I have said all I wanted, and I agree with Buddhist. I hope that the fan-boys don't vote next year, I hate to see alot of people working so hard on their movies, and losing to someone, who puts such little effort in his moviemaking.

I will always see the players that makes an amazing movie build on entertainment and skills as the winners.

Tuskatappaja
03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
This.

The fact that Neilyo has no editing leaves one to look ONLY at the skilled things he does in his vids, which are not very impressive. Vanish deathcoils/cheapshots/blinds, EAing with breaking sap, it's simple shit that he exaggerates and pretends it makes him amazing.

I could make a vid with shit editing, and only slow mo the omg leet skillz parts, and people would fall for the illusion of skill, but I enjoy making high quality vids and not "look what every decent rogue can do" vids.

Neilyo's movies are from the 2400's-2600's, he is a Brutal/Veng Glad and tripple BG rank1 holder. Not what ''every decent rogue'' can achieve in arena. Not saying arena is the only skill meter (preLK ofc) but once being at the top you start to look things in a different way. Ofcourse there are better rogues out there but his achievements have drawn alot of attention.
Anyway, most of the common rogue tricks can be originated from his movies, not saying he is the first one doing them but atleast often the first one preforming them in wcm.
I'd like to see you release some actual high rating footage or hold a top-10 spot in any bracket.

Agalianos
03-15-2009, 03:40 PM
This.

I don't believe it's actually the things he does that appear to be skillful makes him such. I think its the way he performs them like clockwork every single time. I mean i'm no fanboy or anything but he dueled one of those most skilled, renowned rogues (Akrioss) and made him look confused and hardly skilled at all. If you believe the things he does "arent' very impressive, then i would love to see your duel video vs. him, i'm sure your numerous losses would be highly entertaining with your new 3D editing.:mrgreen: One more thing while the entertainment/editing is nice, have you ever thought that the time you spend doing that is the time he spends getting better?

ubiquy
03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Neilyo's movies are from the 2400's-2600's, he is a Brutal/Veng Glad and tripple BG rank1 holder. Not what ''every decent rogue'' can achieve in arena. Not saying arena is the only skill meter (preLK ofc) but once being at the top you start to look things in a different way. Ofcourse there are better rogues out there but his achievements have drawn alot of attention.
Anyway, most of the common rogue tricks can be originated from his movies, not saying he is the first one doing them but atleast often the first one preforming them in wcm.
I'd like to see you release some actual high rating footage or hold a top-10 spot in any bracket.

So that's how Neilyo won. What a piece of shit this poll is. It's totally unassociated with pvp movie making. Why don't WCM just put the people from the top 10 of arenas from 2008 instead.

RopeDrink
03-16-2009, 02:06 AM
Well then it wouldn't be the "Warcraft Movies Top Skilled '08" poll, just a handful of statistics showing who's up on top, which isn't always right, either.

Todays PvP is in a farcical state at the moment - We've had movies uploaded of 3v3 teams of todays flavour setups busting up to 2400+ and yet the movie shows them all to have absolutely no co-ordination, skill or teamwork, keyturn, click and basically roll their face on the keyboards for easy wins because thats just how it is right now... It's why I never consider Arena/Duel movies to be the be-all and end-all of 'skill' as there are times it's down to the setup, the battlegroup, class conflict and god knows what else - Plays a big role in it, yes, but it's not the total definition of skill.

Basing Arena as the true testiment to ones skill, to me, is just as false as saying a movie based around Battleground or World PvP shows absolutely nothing.

Going by how the majority feel about it, Arena will always be held in the utmost skill regard, and Neilyo is reknowned for raw, straight up, no nonsense Arena movies - So while people like me will steer clear of them due to our own preferences, it's hard for the majority (that adhere to their view of Arena) to turn away from it and dare challenge the authors 'skill' because, well, it shows pretty much what he does, and thats dominate Arena, hence I'm not in the least bit suprised of this years 'Top Skilled' winner.

I remember noticing I was listed in the line-up this year and started laughing at myself and how ludicrous it seemed to be selected, knowing it was down to having one relatively successful movie that just happened to be the one and only flick I've ever made over all the years to actually get a number of skill-votes. God forbid, there may have been one person who voted for me, but we all knew from the start that there was a biiigggg amount of people who'd have voted Neilyo right there and then, no questions asked.

As someone mentioned above, like him or hate him, he's drawn in an immense amount of attention due to his movies, and while I find it Ironic that the majority of them get a sort of Athene treatment, vote wise (It always seems like there's just as much haters on his movies as there are genuine votes and/or fanboys) that despite it all he's come out on top in the poll.

It is what it is, and whats done is done - Nothing anyone says can really change anything - All you can say is congratulations to all the people who where in the poll and a big cheer for those who set it up.

We can agree or disagree as to wether the whole thing was conducted 'correctly' but personally I'd much rather see this thread have some constructive views posted so that if there are things people here see as having been done wrong, that we put heads together and figure out how to improve it. As I keep saying, I'm not one bit suprised as to who crept up to the top of the polls, but I sure like these events purely because it means I get a compiled list of names of all those movie makers deemed 'skilled' that I may have missed over the course of time, thus I had a chance to ruffle through those names and check out their stuff.

Thank you WCM for making my hunt for movie enjoyment easier, and looking forward to next year :top:

Tuskatappaja
03-17-2009, 03:30 PM
So that's how Neilyo won. What a piece of shit this poll is. It's totally unassociated with pvp movie making. Why don't WCM just put the people from the top 10 of arenas from 2008 instead.
It's supposed to be unassociated with machinima and editing skills, it's the top skilled contest, who has the most skill in playing the game, not in editing or entertainment for crying out loud.

RopeDrink
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Well some of us know that so let's reinforce the statement a bit to make it more obvious:

** Top 'Skilled' Contest between the PvP'ers of WoW who have released PvP Movies in '08 on WCM **

How's that?

Ancient_evil
03-31-2009, 01:56 PM
it's in my opinion top famous/impressed not top skilled... i though that it would be clear than if you give few thousand folk right to vote for who is most skilled effect will be as it is... to find top skilled in my opinion, group of experts should vote not everyone including hundreds of noobs... not saying that some classes have better predisposition to show off their skillz xD like rogues?
i hope i didn't make too many language errors ;d
hf bb gl