PDA

View Full Version : Fraps-HUGE video files at 30 fps

felong1
01-07-2007, 04:57 AM
First, lets just start with some crying because I'm really mad :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ok, my problem is, I just got this new machine, and at 30 fps in the FRAPS program it runs really nice but a single 1 minute long duel is 1 gigabyte. I tried turning the fps down but the game got really slow and despite turning the fps down the size did not decrease by much. I'm looking to get the files smaller. Yes I have read all the stickys so please don't direct me to them.

Thank you so much for answering!

Felong1

Rothicol
01-07-2007, 11:18 AM
FRAPS = .avi format = huge size.

If you don't want them to fill at your comp, you should try and compress them to .wmv

-Rothicol

Valamir
01-07-2007, 04:58 PM
Fraps uses a flawless recording system, it records all media in uncompressed AVI to make it so that the system does not completely get bogged while recording. This is so that you can play the game you are playing an not have issues with recording. Rothicol is right, to save space on your system you will need to compress those files and store them somewhere.

felong1
01-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Part of the reason I want them compressed is so I don't have a video that is like 6 gigs. I'm not sure if vegas can compress them down any farther. Thanks for the replies though guys :lol:

Valamir
01-08-2007, 12:56 AM
When you compress them do you make the Mbps 3 or something else? 3-4 Mbps would be a good compression rate.

Doyan
01-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Just a heads up and something to think about, its almost always better to do your video editing with the uncompressed .avi's then compress with which ever program you want to, there are quite a few programs to compress with not to mention most of the video editors themselves work really well for it.

Also ".avi" dosen't always mean uncompressed, its like a capsule for whatever codec/compression was used. For example if you were to encode say with divx the output file even if it was a .avi file also it is going to be very different.

Thiras
01-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Theyre huge before you edit them.

Basically:

Big things that enter vegas come out much smaller.