PDA

View Full Version : Ingame Resolution

Primeh
01-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi there , im running WoW at 1920 x1200 on a 17inch widescreen laptop 2.16ghz core 2 duo , 2gb ram 512mb geforce 7900gtx

I can record using fraps full screen at 30fps and the end product looks so sweet, however , when you play it back there seem to be some pretty bad lag, it seems to jump over the place.

I put this down to the fact that the res is so high, so i recorded at half screen size, the result is disappointing to say the least, the actual movement of the char is perfect but the screen and the UI seems almost unreadable, i have improved this slighty by increasing the ui scale and the button size ( using trinity bars atm ) but its still no where near sharp enough to show in a movie.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how i could cure this? The desktop and ingame res are both 1920 x 1200 , i have tried lowering the game res but it still seems really blocky, im after a really good sharp finish on the movie and would rather end up with a larger quality finished product than a smaller poorer quality one.

Any help would be great, im all out of ideas on what to do , the only thing i thought is that it could be a bottleneck on the Hard drive, but its 7200rpm internal , i was gonna go and get a larger external drive to save things to as im raping my internal drive atm . Does usb connection to an external run faster than an internal ? I believe its a SATA conection inside atm ?

Thanks again and sorry for the long post !!

Yours Caj // Primeh

Thiras
01-14-2007, 11:25 AM
If you can record at 1920x1200 with 30 fps then I suggest you do so.

Playback will be laggy, not because the movie is actually laggy in itself, but because directshow isnt made for playing up that much bitrate at one time (fraps files are barely compressed at all). If you try compressing a sample with xvid it should play much smoother :top:

Primeh
01-14-2007, 11:38 AM
I think i understand now ! thanks !

So basically the frames are there but wont play smoothly until compressed properly. Would you advise editing before compressing? I havent made a movie for about 7 years when videomach was all the rage and i just used to chain link seperate compressed avi into one long avi lol !

Im using vegas and could easily deal with the large files until a later date if i get a 500gb external .

One last question , whats the recommended minimum FPS i need to record at sometimes at 1920x1200 with 30fps the red fps indictor goes to about 19-22 range , would that effect the playback in a compressed movie?

thanks very much for your advice and my probabley frustrating newbie questions!

Yours Caj // Primeh

Thiras
01-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Yes, always edit before you compress :)

20-30 fps should be alright, absolutely. :)

Primeh
01-14-2007, 12:13 PM
thank you very much thiras ! i owe u one