PDA

View Full Version : Why lower Resolution?

dayfx
01-15-2007, 05:31 AM
Ok so I record at 1152x864 since that's the highest I can record full screen without having a dual core.
Now when I encode it I can get it down small enough in file size to what I want, and the quality is near perfect.
My question is, if I wanted to make the movie public, should I be resizing it down in resolution to say 800x600 or smaller? I ask that since almost all WoW movies I've ever seen were no higher then 800x600, most around 640x480.
I tried resizing it down to 800x600, and the quality did go down a bit which I expected, but what surprised me was the file size was pretty much the same.
So I could either have this higher resolution movie with perfect quality or a smaller one without any difference is filesize. Makes no sense to want to resize it.
Is lowering the resolutions mainly just for compatibility for other users? Like for those that only use 1024x768?

Primeh
01-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Good question mate , one id be interested in knowing the answer to. I play at 1920 x 1200 and watching a fraps clip at half size looks HORRIBLE , but a full sized clip looks as perfect as in game.

Also would it matter if someone records on a widescreen monitor over a normal screen?

Thiras
01-15-2007, 07:45 PM
I cant fraps higher than 800x600 on my comp without falling below 30 fps so :P

I suppose you could downsize the 1152x864 to 1024x768 and itll still look good. Still a big difference between those kinds of res vs 640x480/800x600

Frendab
01-16-2007, 03:43 AM
Fraps video footage looks fine if your watching it in the same resolution as when you were playing it, it's crystal clear. The problem is when you edit the video using a program you have to encode it and make it a WMV or whatever you use and the resolution goes down, the raw footage is what your watching. You'll also notice that when you edit the movie and then encode it the size of the file goes down considerably.

I record at 1280x1024 with a Pentium 4 3.2ghz. So you do not need a dual core to go higher then what your recording at.

Thiras
01-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Fraps cant record 1280x1024 without a dual core so nope

Dopefish
01-19-2007, 09:48 AM
I tried resizing it down to 800x600, and the quality did go down a bit which I expected, but what surprised me was the file size was pretty much the same.
How can your size not change much when there's 352x264 pixels less each frame? The reason why most people resize their clips is because of the size of them.

deadworkersparty
01-19-2007, 05:45 PM
If we're talking about storyline movies rather than pvp movies, pulling footage that is beyond standard ntsc res (720x480) into After Effects or other compositing apps takes pretty hefty proccessing and lots of file storage. I render my movies to a 720x480 wmv so that it will look great on a TV.

If your really itching to keep that extra resolution, I'd recommend 1920x1080 resolution or 1280x720.

MaceMan
02-24-2007, 02:38 AM
I'd recommend 1920x1080 resolution or 1280x720.
I don't recommend 1920x1080, it won't fit on most computer monitors, and the bit rate will have to be very high. I don't recommend that any WoW movie be bigger than 1280 wide or 768 high.

godliest
02-24-2007, 04:17 PM
How do I make so fraps film in 1280x1020? I wanted to film in this quality but I never understood how to do it.

Z.x
02-24-2007, 05:40 PM
you need a dual core CPU to fraps higher than 1152x864.

About the OP; file size didn't change because you used the same bitrate settings... lower resolutions need less bitrate, but you also have to change it in the encoder settings. I don't recommend changing the resolution though; always encode at the same res as the fraps footage, otherwise the quality reduces alot and you get an overall blurry look on it.

Also not recommended to record higher than 1024x768 if you plan to publish your videos here... I tried 1152x864 for my latest vid because I wanted to present it at high quality, but WCM didn't approve it because of the bitrate being too high, since this kind of resolution needs high bitrate to look decent (otherwise there's too much pixelization/artifacts/etc). Really upsetting when all your work of frapsing and editing for months gets refused and ignored, but then there's many other ways to publish/semi-publish a video than WCM.

Thiras
02-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Also not recommended to record higher than 1024x768 if you plan to publish your videos here... I tried 1152x864 for my latest vid because I wanted to present it at high quality, but WCM didn't approve it because of the bitrate being too high, since this kind of resolution needs high bitrate to look decent (otherwise there's too much pixelization/artifacts/etc). Really upsetting when all your work of frapsing and editing for months gets refused and ignored, but then there's many other ways to publish/semi-publish a video than WCM.

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=33298

^ has 2400 kbit/s, 1152x864 resolution and still looks pretty damn good. 3400 (audio + video) is what the site normally allows.

Z.x
02-26-2007, 09:40 PM
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=33298

^ has 2400 kbit/s, 1152x864 resolution and still looks pretty damn good. 3400 (audio + video) is what the site normally allows.

I had that downloaded before but deleted it at some point along with lots of other things, when I needed more space for frapsing (I'm on old 2x 60GB hard drives). From what I remember, it didn't look nearly as good as the quality I used, but downloading it now to see again and look up details on the framerate, bitrate and format used.

But what upset me the most is that there's other published videos with a similar bitrate, which I used as reference on what kind of quality would be allowed so that's what I recorded, edited and rendered my video at. Examples:

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=31934
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=33474

Why were those accepted and mine refused?

I sent a long PM with an explanation to the website owner, one week later I got a reply saying that they're downloading it and will let me know asap if they will accept it... after that I got no reply. All this leads me to believe that it's not worth all this trouble and aggravation to try to post my vids on here. I don't understand why anyone would want to see lower quality, esp. from a 500MB vid which I think is pretty acceptable nowadays; and one of my main intents was to make a higher quality presentation than usual.

And I basically know the answer to my above question, just won't post it here to spare the drama, but will say that I don't like the way this place is run. My final decision was to publish my future full videos elsewhere, while possibly posting a small low quality preview on here. This is about as far as I'm gonna go on the details of my issue/problems with WCM, send me a PM if interested in further discussing it.

Thiras
02-27-2007, 05:37 PM
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=31934
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=33474

Why were those accepted and mine refused?

I sent a long PM with an explanation to the website owner, one week later I got a reply saying that they're downloading it and will let me know asap if they will accept it... after that I got no reply. All this leads me to believe that it's not worth all this trouble and aggravation to try to post my vids on here. I don't understand why anyone would want to see lower quality, esp. from a 500MB vid which I think is pretty acceptable nowadays; and one of my main intents was to make a higher quality presentation than usual.

And I basically know the answer to my above question, just won't post it here to spare the drama, but will say that I don't like the way this place is run. My final decision was to publish my future full videos elsewhere, while possibly posting a small low quality preview on here. This is about as far as I'm gonna go on the details of my issue/problems with WCM, send me a PM if interested in further discussing it.

Those 2 would've been rejected if the call had been mine. Yeah they're above the limit. I don't run this site however and I cannot really do much about it I'm afraid.