mmorpgforum.net

mmorpgforum.net (https://www.mmorpgforum.net/index.php)
-   News and Comments (https://www.mmorpgforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=195)
-   -   Stage6 to Shut Down on February 28! (https://www.mmorpgforum.net/showthread.php?t=3739)

Uzbeki 02-25-2008 01:20 PM

Stage6 to Shut Down on February 28!

As the topic reads - Stage6 is shutting down on February 28. They have been struggling with the massive usage of bandwidth for quite some time. That they have been trying to keep the cost down has been very clear for us when many Authors here on WCM have had their movies removed from Stage6 based on too high bandwidth usage. Nevertheless, Stage6 has been an obvious choice for many of our users since the launch in 2006 and the high quality streaming service has been perfect for this community.

Read the announcement on stage6.com

With that being said WCM will remove all Stage6 Mirrors and focus on finding new sources to provide this community with high quality streaming.

Read the full version of this news item on WarcraftMovies.com

Xzi 02-25-2008 01:29 PM

Damn, Now we actually have to download vids lol.

Ahh well, Stage6 was fun while it lasted :/

Acidagger 02-25-2008 01:51 PM

Wtih this being said, i think the runner up in quality tbh is the Stream hosted right here on WCM, comes the closest to the flawless stage6 stream quality, i had one of my video's published with this stream, however one of them was "not in the correct format?" I used the same for each vid.

jeg_ed 02-25-2008 02:46 PM

Definitely sad, but if i was to guess, something similar might just pop up by some fanboys or professionals. I would'nt hesitate to purchase a user on a similar site.

turix 02-25-2008 03:19 PM

Well the stage6 web player and SDK for that is still available for anyone who wanted to host videos and stream them *Cough premium stream anyone?*

Telemora 02-25-2008 04:15 PM

Apparently Stage6 has also had massive legal issues with people uploading pirated movies and tv shows, probably another contributing factor.

Thiras 02-25-2008 07:14 PM

It is rather bad style of them to pop out and say hey, wer're shutting this down in 3 days buh bye.

I'm guessing something ad-driven built on a similar system will pop up in a near future though.

At the poster above: yeah, dvd rip avi's could be upped directly to stage6 without any conversion (part of why it's such a great thing - theres no extra compression beyond what there already is)

Raynhard 02-25-2008 07:32 PM

Looking for alternatives. Maybe www.vimeo.com (max 500 MB per Week) or www.blib.tv (max 1 GB)? Both allow h264 encoded Videos, which is part of Adobe Flash sice Flash Player 9 Update 3 for a few months. Much better then youtube and co -.-

Pewpewpwnage 02-25-2008 07:42 PM

sad, just sad:<

parl2001 02-25-2008 07:59 PM

Gametube?
Curse?
Machinima.com?

I'm kinda surprised that Microsoft and Apple haven't gotten more heavily into this part of the industry.

Forum time (GMT) 02:38 PM