mmorpgforum.net

mmorpgforum.net (https://www.mmorpgforum.net/index.php)
-   Movie Making (https://www.mmorpgforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   Some stuff. *READ!!!* (https://www.mmorpgforum.net/showthread.php?t=2888)

Thiras 12-16-2007 04:51 PM

Some stuff. *READ!!!*

I'm currently writing down a lot of info relating to video compression, codecs, formats, don't go all ??!?!? if a thread pops up and then disappears or gets edited or whatever.

At the moment I'm planning (threads, I suppose)

General explanation of codecs/containers.
More advanced terms related to codecs/containers.
Expressions used in relation to movies, frames/par/dar/interlaced/fps/whatever.
Encoding guides using meGUI, premiere and vegas, profiles for megui (both xvid and x264) for download & easy use.
Common Programs and what they're good for.
A thread with whatever tutorials we have had posted here - they're not many but they deserve to be seen (x-booze has done a few neat ones)

-more to be added as it appears in my head..

If I get my will through we can also consolidate the old stickies into one (similar to what they've done on the class forums at wow-europe), for cleanliness.

This will hopefully clear up a lot of confusion and reduce the amount of questions that need be asked.

Eventual suggestions in this thread or by PM, please. :)

vegito254 12-16-2007 10:29 PM

Nice idea Thiras :) Donnow if you planned on adding this in your guide but I think some people would like to know how virtual dub works for video compression. I've been using it for a while now and I think rendering in virtual dub works way better then in vegas or other editing programs :)

Thiras 12-16-2007 10:31 PM

Megui is the new deal :top:

Thiras 12-16-2007 10:35 PM

How does a thread for overused music sound?

all rob zombie music, rammstein/feuer frei, the quiet place, pirates of the caribbean OST, lol I could go on forever :>

vegito254 12-17-2007 08:26 AM

Never heard of Megui before :o Must look up new cool thing... Can't wait for Thiras.. :p

Lol like the sound thread :)

GZProduction 12-17-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thiras (Post 15286)
How does a thread for overused music sound?

Immediate Music.. No really.

But anyway, I would like some tutorials on encoding since I know practically nothing on this field!

soosisti 12-17-2007 11:46 AM

MeGui and h264 kick ass. I did a test encode for one of my older projects and h264 blew xvid outta the water qualitywise. With half the size! The only downside was a very long compression time.

But I still think a VirtualDub guide would be useful - at least for those Stage6 DivX compressions.

vegito254 12-19-2007 02:27 PM

Wow I just tested X264 encoding with MeGui :o I'm never going back to Xvid. The size quality is awesome. Blew my socks off :) The long compression time is totally worth it :)

Martinfalch 12-19-2007 03:05 PM

I'm probably the only one, but my experience with megui was kinda bad :P Couldn't play it without VLC (though I think it should be playable with quicktime) and the sound didn't fit the image when I got further into the movie. I don't know if it was because of the movie length or because my computer couldn't handle it though :) I think overall the codec is probably really good, might just be a few holes in it that might be good to test if making a guide about it as well! But that's just a suggestion :D

- Martin

Thiras 12-19-2007 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martinfalch (Post 15403)
I'm probably the only one, but my experience with megui was kinda bad :P Couldn't play it without VLC (though I think it should be playable with quicktime) and the sound didn't fit the image when I got further into the movie. I don't know if it was because of the movie length or because my computer couldn't handle it though :) I think overall the codec is probably really good, might just be a few holes in it that might be good to test if making a guide about it as well! But that's just a suggestion :D

- Martin

Current versions of VLC do play x264/mkv :) I suppose you were unlucky.

Forum time (GMT) 02:50 PM