View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #34
K21Nova
Initiate

K21Nova is an unknown quantity at this point
The thing about giving everyone the ability to influence the votes of others (with the - and + system), is that it's just a way to shut down minorities.

I mean, being in a minority is difficult as it is, but if you give the majority the power to remove your voice (by voting your comment/rating down to oblivion), then what's the point of even rating anything?

There are always minorities. Either the minority dislikes a movie, or likes a movie, but that's the whole idea behind a voting system; everyone votes, and in the end you get a result.

This sort of system kind of removes minorities and makes the system more and more black and white.

Add the fact that there indeed are...zounds of people giving full fives for no good reason, or for the complete wrong reasons, and if you on the other hand rate for the right reasons, and they don't like it, say goodbye to your rating.

Well.. I know I should give an example of a better system, but right now all I can think of is that in extreme cases the + - system doesn't work.

In extreme cases Mr X publishes a video, Mr X's followers and fanbase and whoever liked Mr X's moves give full fives, and along comes someone who thinks that fraps and mp3's and windows movie maker a good movie maketh not and this someone's voice and rating ends up voted down and disappearing.

What then would be a better system? Sigh, if only I knew. A more in-depth extensive rating questionnaire perhaps?

Ok, what about this?

Instead of having four different ratings, make it so that you can rate a video either 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, and if you REALLY care enough, you can go into a more extensive rating panel with like I dunno TEN different ratings.

This way most of the e-peen point givers just throw the 5 mainly because that's the easy way, and people who care will open up the actual rating panel and think about the ratings and rate accordingly.

Then perhaps show more information on the rating of the video, and somehow separate the "fast ratings" from the in-depth ones.

I dunno.

Something to remove the "ZOMG I GIEAF 5/5/5/5/5/5 CUZ ITZ MING AN I WUNA B LIEK MING WEN I GREW UP!111leventy" -votes (sigh, im tired...sorry)
K21Nova is offline   Reply With Quote