View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Abyzz
Initiate

Abyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
And yet without constructive criticism, what is there to rate for? I hope (a fool's hope maybe) that the author actually reads my review and take at least some of it to heart for future creations - I will have hammered Alt+F4 long before remotely considering contributing with a thousand and seventh "O my GOD I want your BABIEZ!", as there are obviously others up for that task.

I find that the problem is twofold:

1) Ratings have inflated at a pace comparable to that in Zimbabwe in 2007, and an average 3 stars movie is now in fact a movie that should receive punishment for ever having stalked the earth. As a direct consequence of this, any attempt to rate fairly is looked upon as pessimistic and demeaning, and is with the new CCS blown to pieces by other raters.
2) The community seems to favor others of same opinion rather than those with a message: "there is not a fragment of logic in this bloke's arguments, but he gave the same number of stars so he'll get a +!". Going against the current (e.g. actually trying to make suggestions for improvement) will suffer because of CCS.

The ranking system could be improved in many ways, but here are a few ideas.

Author rating: The movie creator has special weight when commenting on the comments made in his/her movies. For example: authors altar the comment score by 2 or 3 points rather than the usual 1, so that his/her liking will immediately result in either hiding or highlighting comments. Of course there's a pitfall in this, since theoretically the author could be zealous about the product and therefore remove any sign of critique thus distorting the feedback. Still, such approaches would be discovered very soon and I believe it will regulate itself.
Rater promotion: Let's inspire more to rate, and to rate more seriously. The improved author-based CCS will result in an overall score for each commenter (which is the sum of negative and positive feedback), and when that score reaches a certain level, the member is promoted to "Enthusiast", with additional rights in commenting. The rights could be plentiful - it could be automatic comment highlighting upon posting, the option to make make breaks in the text field (following the thought that better raters are more thorough raters and use more text); it's a balance issue, but just make sure to make it worthwhile for the lot of us to rate seriously. As a derivative you, WCM, will get an easy overview on who's the 'bad guys'.
Hall of Fame: The 50 raters with highest CCS scores are added to the Hall of Fame in their own "Best Raters" category.
Award Icon: An icon on top of the movie where you see "2X Platinum" etc. is added if a certain amount of best raters have rated the movie positively. Basically if those who take rating most seriously agree to like a movie there's a good chance it's worth watching, so this should work as a promotion function for the movie.

Feel free to share your ideas and maybe we can narrow it down into something useful and that's also realistic for WCM...

Last edited by Abyzz : 04-25-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Abyzz is offline   Reply With Quote