View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
izolight
Initiate

izolight is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingoDynasty View Post
"a way too big filesize" seems a bit too subjective, especially since later in your guide you suggest 1gb to be an ok filesize; 1gb may be alot for certain people.

I noticed you suggested to do quantizer/CRF compression... what makes that better than multipass compression? I thought it was like outdated now that multipass options are available.

Generally a pretty good guide, but imo too much information/control the average machinima maker needs. Most people will be happy enough with the quality they get from clicking the Render As button in SVP and then just selecting x264 as the codec.
As an example for the filesize/bitrate with a given crf of 26 and a resolution of 1920*1080

Lord Marrowgar video: ~8700 kbit/s
Lady Deathwhisper video: ~8000kbit/s
Gunship Battle video: ~5500 kbit/s
Deathbringer Saurfang video: ~4000kbit/s

So this should be pretty much the range one can expect with that crf and resolution as the first video has much (camera)movement and fancy effects like the fire on the ground that eat bitrate while the last one is pretty much just one perspective without much happening.

Well the advantage of crf compared to multipass is, you always have the same quality, whereas you have to tweak the bitrate a bit according to your footage with multipass and in most cases you don't have to hit a certain filesize so there is no need for multipass. And crf is also a bit faster than 2pass.

I know that there is also an option in sonyvegas for x264 if you have the vfw codec, but 1st you can only choose avi, which wasn't supposed to have avc content in it and has a bit too much overhead compared to mkv and mp4. Also the vfw version of x264 is very outdated and doesn't include at least 2 new algorithms which really improved the quality/bitrate.

Also it is actually less work than it looks at first because it is basically just clicking render on vegas and then encode on the x264 gui and the muxing part because most times your settings will be the same.

Last edited by izolight : 12-30-2009 at 10:53 PM.
izolight is offline   Reply With Quote