View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 02:37 AM   #1
cellian
Initiate

cellian is unknown at this point
Guideline for rating movies.

Hi,
There's one thing about the ratingsystem that concerns me since it has been updated. People are unable to rate "fair". What I'm trying to say, is that people are rating movies they like with 5 stars and those they hate with 1 star, even if it is impossible for the movie to get that rating.

For instance Drifting 3 http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=40621

Let's say I loved the movie, so I instantly give it a rating of 5, but that's simply wrong. Because if I rate fair, it wouldn't be possible.
Let's take a closer look at how I would rate:

Content: I really enjoyed every fight of the movie = 5 stars.

Creativity: I liked the movie, it's an ordinary PvP movie, it has an intro, an outro, but still nothing special = 3 stars.

Editing: There's a lot of editing in it which fits to the music. Since I'm a fan of a bunch of effects = 5 stars.

A/V Quality: For me, movies with a resolution of 640*512 are absolute average. You can clearly see everything if the UI is clean. Everything above that resolution would mean 4 stars for me. The only movies I would give 5 stars, are those with a resolution of at least 1024*768 or the similar wide screen version (which I don't exactly know). This one is above the average = 4 stars.

(5 + 3 + 5 + 4) / 4 = 4,25

Now if we look at the comments, there are a lot of people rating it 5 or even worse, someone rated it 1 and that's not OK. Even if you love the movie the quality wouldn't deserve 5 stars, neither the creativity. Giving it 1 star is much more unlikely, because the quality is still good, even if you hate everything else.

What I would like to see is some kind of rating guideline which appears when somebody wants to rate. Or something like a notification if someone is about to rate a movie with 1 or 5 stars.
Thx,

oh and sorry for my shitty english...
cellian is offline   Reply With Quote