View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
Abyzz
Initiate

Abyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzbeki View Post
Although this sounds like a good idea I have doubts about it working. A majority of the authors would use their extra points to hide low ratings. I open to it and we will see how the other changes (see further down) we are doing will impact the system.
As said earlier this could indeed lead to your mentioned problem, and having to make separate systems for author voting seems a little too complicated. It boils down to this really: are ratings purely meant to indicate whether or not a movie is worth watching, or are they also minded at communicating with the author to improve the content for future releases? I guess it's a combination, but if we could somehow enforce constructiveness over criticism from an author perspective I reckon much is achieved. The main problem is that this is only a comment system, and the settings greatly limits our (the visitors) abilities to respond.

How about - this may be a wild shot (so if you run away screaming I forgive you!) - dynamic forum threads supporting the releases? Say I submit a movie called "Sunwell Sabotaged"; doing so will automatically create a thread of same name (with me, the creator) as author. This thread would be added to a new "Released Movies Discussion" forum, where those interested could get far more into detail about discussing that release. This would also have obvious benefits from a community involvement perspective, and would undoubtedly breath new life into other forum activities.

Quote:
To some extent we are doing this already. All persons with 75 or higher fame gets their ratings automatically. One way of improving the power of those with higher fame (ex 50+) would be to give them a +/- comment score of 2 instead of 1.
That's a good idea. I'm not sure how your fame system works towards weighing comments against other factors, but the 'best' voters should receive higher weight, so that they at a faster pace get influence to affect the community positively.

Quote:
We could create a "Top 50" list for this yes.
Thank you. It looks good, and I'm sure it will have a positive effect.

Quote:
I like the concept of this idea. The question is if it will differ much from the "Top Rated this Week" achievements we hand out every week. I will do some testing when get more data.
It was meant as a way to filter the noise that is the inflation on rating. IMDB.com which is probably one of the biggest rating communities in the world have this "Top 1000 Voters" concept, where their votes are separate in the statistics. The pattern, beyond statistical interference, shows that the top raters are also the toughest raters, rating lower than any other segment of raters in the community. I see no reason why this should not be the case here, and with this icon award the visitor could rest more assured that the listed rating does in fact reflect the content of the movie.

Quote:
Today we are also going to change the +/- requirements for hiding and highlighting comments. From now on it will be -3 for hiding comments (instead of 2) and +5 for highlighting comments (instead of +3).
Brilliant!

Quote:
We are also thinking about hiding "irrelevant scores" of -2,-1,0. (positive ratings too?) I would also hate if someone "downrated" my constructive comment but it is irrelevant since the comment will not be hidden etc and it removing those irrelevant score will remove a lot of the annoyance of it.
Question is, which system decides what's relevant and what's not?

Last edited by Abyzz : 04-28-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Abyzz is offline   Reply With Quote