View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
Andehx
Initiate

Andehx is unknown at this point
Theres a few things I would like to point out in your guide.
While very informative, your guide is a little innaccurate in some places.
Let me highlight a few...

Quote:
If you want no lag try puting your FPS higher the higher the FPS the smoother it is but if it's Too high you risk your movie coming out with poor quality
This is actually not true at all. If your computer lags too much when you record, setting fraps to record at a higher fps will certinly not make the recording any less laggy. Also the quality of the recording is not affected at all by the fps setting in Fraps.

Quote:
If this doesnt work try fiddiling with your resolution set for the game if your in-game resolution is diffrent then your fraps resolution it can cause some lag
Ok I may have read this wrong, but Fraps has no resolution settings apart from the "Full size" "Half size" settings. Heres an example of a typical scenario where you get too much lag and you would like to improve it :-

You are playing the game at a resolution of 1152x864 (highest resolution Fraps will record) and you have Fraps set to record at "Full size"
When you hit the record button, you notice that your fps has dropped to around 12 fps. Now this is really not an acceptable fps by anyone standard really, but there are 2 options to rectify this problem.
1. You can set Fraps to record at "Half size" which would result in an output recording of 576x432, giving you a nice final video, providing you encode it with decent quality settings.
2. Leave Fraps set to "Full size" and set your ingame resolution to something lower, like 800x600.

Both options would definitly increase your fraps fps, but for lower spec computers, I would recommend option 1.

Quote:
If this doesnt work try puting Fraps in "Windowed mode" that will be less quality but improves smoothness by a ton
This I really have no idea what it means, theres no windowed mode option in Fraps, so I really cant comment on it.

Quote:
If you have a really really good computer use the LOWEST fps that it can stand but make sure it's as smooth as it can get to
Again this is not very accurate at all. If your computer is very good, then setting the fps in fraps to something low like 20 - 30 fps is just going to limit the computers potential. Granted I probably wouldn't want to record at anything higher than 30fps, and if my computer could record at 30fps (which mine can) I would be happy.

Quote:
If you have a bad computer use the HIGHEST fps you can stand to make it "Lag free" the only problem is it makes the file bigger and the quality is horrible
And again, this simply is not the case. If your computer isnt very good, and you are having problems getting 30fps recordings, then setting fraps to something higher, like 60fps for instance, most certinly will not increase the performance of the recording. True, recording at a higher fps does indeed make the file size bigger, but it certinly does not affect the image quality at all.

Please don't take my critisizm as if I am having a go at you or anything, because I certinly am not, but I feel people who do not know much about Fraps and video recording will become somewhat confused if they follow your guide and don't see any results.

Again, my intention is to point out some mistakes, in the hopes that you can mend your guide, and if you believe that I am wrong, then I encourage you to test out some of my theories youself

Last edited by Andehx : 11-12-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Andehx is offline   Reply With Quote