View Single Post
Old 02-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
juggling
Initiate

juggling is unknown at this point
Vegas Rendering error

Hey there!

So, I've got Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.0 and was just about to start video-making, but I got some unpleasant issues I'd like to ask you for help. Especially point one is driving me crazy, the other ones are negligible, feel free to skip them.

1. I started by rendering a small clip, just to find nice rendering settings for me. Searching around in this forum there are a lot of nice guides how to do that.
So, here are the ones I tried:

Nolan's Rendering Tutorial (Videoguide)
Encoding your World of Warcraft movie (XviD and WMV)
Rendering with Sony Vegas 6 / 7 *Please read* by Vandalist
Encoding your video to H.264 using Sony Vegas and MeGUI by Yuem

A quick few words to the Thiras WMV guide. This is the only one that actually worked for me, but the quality is a little to low.

Now, what's the problem with all those .avi files? The first guide I tried was the one from Vandalist. I did everything as said in the thread and then rendered. The quality was awful! Not watchable, very crappy.
Then I thought I might have done something wrong, so I went through all the steps again (but didn't really make any changes)... and started encoding, when following message popped up:

"An error occured by creating the media file *.avi.

The chosen codec does not support the current rendering settings."

(Note: since I unfortunately have the german client this isn't the original text but a translation)

So, wondered about that, I tried one of the other rendering guides and got the exact same message >.<. Then the next one, and the next one, this message seems to make trouble for all .avi renderings.
I also tried to change the audio codec, for the case it is the same problem you sometimes read about. No effect.

Can anybody help me out here? I got no explanation for that.

2. Project settings. Width and Height. Now, I play WoW with 1680x1050, so I tried to type this resolution in there and it always adjusts to 800 width and 600 height, which seems to be max. I also think to remember a message saying something like "Sony Vegas can't render videos bigger than ~800x600".
At first I thought "alright, no big deal, the tutorials use lower resolutions anyway"... but then I saw Nolan using 1680x1050 in his tutorial.
Why can't I? Is it a problem?

3. Is there a difference between rendering and encoding? Doesn't seem like.

4. Just imagine I got those huge Fraps files, my raw material, and I render them. Now, it is still "raw material" since it's not cut, put together etc. If I now create my movie out of this rendered raw material and as soon as I am finished I render it with the same settings to actually have my video. Will this "double-rendering" have an effect on my quality?

Greetings.
juggling is offline   Reply With Quote