View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 09:06 AM   #6
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyzz View Post
Author rating: The movie creator has special weight when commenting on the comments made in his/her movies. For example: authors altar the comment score by 2 or 3 points rather than the usual 1, so that his/her liking will immediately result in either hiding or highlighting comments. Of course there's a pitfall in this, since theoretically the author could be zealous about the product and therefore remove any sign of critique thus distorting the feedback. Still, such approaches would be discovered very soon and I believe it will regulate itself.
Although this sounds like a good idea I have doubts about it working. A majority of the authors would use their extra points to hide low ratings. I open to it and we will see how the other changes (see further down) we are doing will impact the system.

Quote:
Rater promotion: Let's inspire more to rate, and to rate more seriously. The improved author-based CCS will result in an overall score for each commenter (which is the sum of negative and positive feedback), and when that score reaches a certain level, the member is promoted to "Enthusiast", with additional rights in commenting. The rights could be plentiful - it could be automatic comment highlighting upon posting, the option to make make breaks in the text field (following the thought that better raters are more thorough raters and use more text); it's a balance issue, but just make sure to make it worthwhile for the lot of us to rate seriously. As a derivative you, WCM, will get an easy overview on who's the 'bad guys'.
To some extent we are doing this already. All persons with 75 or higher fame gets their ratings automatically. One way of improving the power of those with higher fame (ex 50+) would be to give them a +/- comment score of 2 instead of 1.

Quote:
Hall of Fame: The 50 raters with highest CCS scores are added to the Hall of Fame in their own "Best Raters" category.
We could create a "Top 50" list for this yes.

Quote:
Award Icon: An icon on top of the movie where you see "2X Platinum" etc. is added if a certain amount of best raters have rated the movie positively. Basically if those who take rating most seriously agree to like a movie there's a good chance it's worth watching, so this should work as a promotion function for the movie.
I like the concept of this idea. The question is if it will differ much from the "Top Rated this Week" achievements we hand out every week. I will do some testing when get more data.

Today we are also going to change the +/- requirements for hiding and highlighting comments. From now on it will be -3 for hiding comments (instead of 2) and +5 for highlighting comments (instead of +3).

We are also thinking about hiding "irrelevant scores" of -2,-1,0. (positive ratings too?) I would also hate if someone "downrated" my constructive comment but it is irrelevant since the comment will not be hidden etc and it removing those irrelevant score will remove a lot of the annoyance of it.

Also keep in mind that even hidden ratings count until they have been removed and that all hidden comments are moderated by intelligent people who will not warn or remove legit criticism.