WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Rontu
Initiate

Rontu is unknown at this point
Problem with Sony Vegas 6 Rendering

I just finished making a pvp video which is 23 minutes and I can't seem to get it under 600mb without making the quality horrible.

The fraps in which I recorded at are

50fps (yea damnit)
1152 x 864

Now my video properties are

1152x864
None (Progressive Scan)
Frame Rate - 50fps
Pixel aspect ratio - 1.0000
Rendering Quality - Best

When I render it, I render it to Xvid using the exact same settings as my video properties with a:

bitrate of 2000
Encoding type: Single Pass
Profile @ Level - (unrestricted)

After I render it, my file keeps coming to about 590ish - 620ish and the quality is pretty blurry.

Any ideas?
Rontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Pat
Hall of Fame member

Pat is unknown at this point
even if you frapsed at 50fps, you could render at 29.97fps .. no?
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
MarsJenkar
Initiate

MarsJenkar is an unknown quantity at this point
Rontu: First of all, why do you need it under 600 MB? Do you need it to put it on a specific storage medium (or make it available for such)? Or are you trying to get it uploaded to a specific hosting service? You might consider FileFront if it's the latter, and if you have a fast enough connection (1 GB/10 hour upload limit).

Second, you might consider trying Frapsing at a lower frame rate next time. You could re-render at a lower frame rate (as Pat suggested), but that would likely trade one quality problem for another (namely, a type of blur caused by the superimposition of multiple frames). It may or may not be worth the tradeoff.

Thirdly, you could try rendering the video at a lower resolution. That might result in some graphics compression issues, but done right, they shouldn't significantly detract from video quality. However, it may not give significant improvement of graphics quality either. Again, it may or may not be worth the tradeoff.

In any case, trying to render a high resolution, high framerate video at such a modest bitrate is going to result in some quality issues. Keep that in mind for next time.

EDIT: Check out my Kael'thas video (link to video library in sig) for an example of a 22-minute video that's just under 600 MB. It uses a DivX compression, has a 640x512 resolution, and a framerate of 25 FPS. This is an example of how lower resolution and lower framerate can help make a video look better.

MarsJenkar's Videos

Last edited by MarsJenkar : 08-30-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Added example to post
MarsJenkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
Rontu
Initiate

Rontu is unknown at this point
i needed it under 600mb because of the WCM.com rules of 25mb/m

but i got it all sorted out, thanks for your help (your kael video helped)
Rontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
MarsJenkar
Initiate

MarsJenkar is an unknown quantity at this point
Glad to hear it. Good luck to you in the future!

And yes, I did momentarily forget about the bandwidth limit. The mirrors of the videos I keep on FileFront are usually slightly bigger, but the ones I actually upload to WarcraftMovies do follow the guideline, and are usually fairly close in terms of quality.

MarsJenkar's Videos
MarsJenkar is offline   Reply With Quote