Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
meukow
Initiate

meukow is an unknown quantity at this point
Vegas rendering issue - EMERGENCY

Hello community!

I'm here to ask for some help with Vegas rendering.

So, I made a movie for my school project (WoW PvP). Which I will ofcourse upload to WCM aswell.

But here my troubles start, when I try to render it like usual:
- .wmv
- 4,8mbps video
- 1280x720 resolution

It starts - renders the WCM intro perfectly fine and then my movie starts - it has a small "semi machinima" intro where I used WoW model viewer to fraps my character lying down on a bed which I frapsed in-game. I enhanced it with some standard effects like glow, soft contrast + I tried Magic Bullet Looks 1.4. I found a suitable color preset and also applied it to rest of my movie with some standard effects.

Everything going but EXTREMELY SLOW - I'm already worried why is this, I got a semi-decent configuration which I'll write you later. But well no problem, will take some time... I thought. I checked task manager -> performance and noticed 1,8 GBs of RAM is being used with my processor running on 80%+ usage, hitting 100% even. I checked is it overheating maybe, no it isnt, running on 65 C when rendering. It started worrying me a bit but I let it go. After the intro was rendered (Took atleast 1 hour for 65 seconds) the PvP starts - where things are bit more faster (I used velocity speed up - standard effects and magic bullet looks again), suddenly error pop-ups saying Vegas doesn't have enough memory to work with.

I'm obviously mad and I start the render again but now as 3mbps video with slightly lower quality - again renders WCM intro normally at some decent speed and then my intro starts - again goes very slow and usage+RAM jumps. Goes to few percent more than last time and boom again not enough memory.

I googled about this - I did that trick with that explorer program allowing Vegas to use more than 2 GB of RAM adress or something like that (not an expert on this field), I also disabled preview while rendering and disabled frames in track bar. I turned off all non necessary programs including internet connection - SAME thing happened again. I tried rendering on the LOWEST quality (28 kbps) and it went to 50% pretty quick where I concluded that this will work, but the quality is insanely bad ofcourse. I tried 512 kbps with 640x480 resolution. It again went few percent more (To about 25% now) and again boom no memory.

My friend called then and told me to come to his place and render it with his better computer and Sony Vegas 10 Pro (I'm using 9 Pro), I transfered my 12 GB of material (mostly frapsed in-game material) and started the render at his place WITHOUT magic bullet looks (We heard it can cause problems), the render went slightly faster and it looked like it will finish but in some quite long time. We went to school without my work which I was supposed to turn in today and left the render working. 5 hours later we're back and the render did 50% in 6 HOURS.

We are now heavily confused what is causing such slow and stressful rendering. We gave some thought and came to conclusion that maybe heavy material is causing it? (12 GB for 10 min, most in .avi uncompressed) Would compressing the material before rendering help? If that's the key, please write down a program with which I could do this fast and simple.

We dont have any other idea and that's why im here because I need to have this rendered by tomorrow night or I'm failing class (Hopefully render taking place on his computer is still working and hopefully won't crash - but It's without magic bullet looks and looks much worse). I hope you guys will help me out with this so I can render this thing with magic bullet looks on my computer and get a good grade, and hopefully a good movie for all of you!

Here's my computer spec:

AMD Turion x2 2,1 GHz
ATI Radeon HD 2600, 256 MB
2GB RAM
5400 RPM HDD

My friend's computer spec:

Intel e8500 3.16 GHz
ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB
4GB RAM
7200 RPM HDD

Thanks for reading!

EDIT - Here's my project screenshot: http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2962/vegasr.png

Last edited by meukow : 12-13-2010 at 06:24 PM.
meukow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
meukow
Initiate

meukow is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorted - Magic bullet looks eats too much of your computer resources.
meukow is offline   Reply With Quote