WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Xolotl
Initiate

Xolotl is unknown at this point
teh fraps and teh lag

i recently bought a new hd, installed fraps version 2.8.2 on the new hd but i'm still experiencing noticeable lag during recording in wow (settings: half size, no sound, 25fps)

my question is: is there anything more i can do to suppress lags other than keeping my drivers for hard- and software updated (cause they all are) and setting the graphics low?
my goal would be to have fraps running without noticing it

ps: yes, i did read the sticky ._.

Last edited by Xolotl : 08-31-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Xolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #2
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Maybe a stupid question..

But did you actually set fraps to record TO the new hd? Doesn't really matter where you install it.

If the answer to the above question is yes, I'd be interested to hear your computers specs.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #3
Xolotl
Initiate

Xolotl is unknown at this point
fraps is recording to the new hd, yes. and it actually did make a difference in terms of lag on which disc it was installed.

pc specs are:p4 cpu with 3ghz, 2gb ram, radeon x800 with 256mb ram, asus p4p 800 deluxe mainboard, the new hd is an sata and i'm using windows xp professional with sp2

ps: tried to record in 1152x864 res and the frames stay at around 25, i usually play at 1280x1024, the game looks like crap now tho so i dont want to keep it that way

Last edited by Xolotl : 09-01-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Xolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
The game will play at 25 fps if you record at 25 fps.

Running fraps without noticing it is hardly possible.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:23 AM   #5
spiffysunkis
Initiate

spiffysunkis is an unknown quantity at this point
Your not the only one

I seem to be having the same problem. I've had FRAPS for about 4 days so I'm not as knowledgeable about it, but I've been reading a lot of forums on FRAPS problems. On the first night I had it, I used FRAPS during my 25 man raid of OS. The only lag that was apparent was just server side (latency not FPS) and the FPS was steady at 30, where I had FRAPS set at. After a DC at the tail end, I tried to record Naxx and it was consistantly hanging around 10 FPS. I didn't make any changes from OS to Naxx, but now everytime that I try to record anything (including just flying around to get scenic footage) it might hit 30 FPS every now and then, but it is nearly consistant at 10 FPS still.

I've tried lowering in-game resolution and in-game adjustable video settings, but that didn't change anything. I tried to change FRAPS from 30 FPS to 20 and from Full to Half size and still didn't change anything. My computer is no piece of junk either:

Intell Quad-Core processor
3gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 512mb
300gb HD

The only shortfalls that might be an issue is needing more HD space and/or a bigger power supply. Overall, I'm getting pretty frustrated after spending some decent money on Sony Vegas 9 and nothing grand to use with it.
spiffysunkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
RopeDrink

RopeDrink is an unknown quantity at this point
I do still get occasional issues with FRAPS but definately not as noticeable as my firsthand experience with the program.

If you have any kind of secondary or external drive, assign FRAPS to record to that, not your current main PC Harddrive.

Secondly, as mentioned, if you set FRAPS to record at anything lower than your possible max FPS, FRAPS will reduce your FPS to the level you told it to record at in the options.

If you're capable of 60 FPS, but assign FRAPS to record at 30, your game will go to 30 FPS during recording and possibly lower if strained.

Best results are gotten by setting FRAPS Recording FPS to max, going in game, recording, and keeping an eye on the FPS Overlay in the corner to see what the recording FPS reduces itself to in a busy location in-game. When you get a general idea (Let's just assume your FPS goes down to 40 FPS when recording in Dalaran for example). Tab out, open options and set the FPS Recording limit to 40 (Not what your computer CAN do but what it does while recording). It has definately gotten me the smoothest results, even while recording at MaxSize and with Sound.

I never use HalfSize - I play on a decent resolution but if you then decide to balloon the recordings to bigger than the half size you get, then say hello to blurry quality movies, which are unacceptable to me.

Despite this, there are occasions when without reason my PC will just grind down to 5FPS during recordings. More often than not it tends to do this when there's background activity you may not be aware of, such as Virus Checkers or downloads or whatever else might pop on without you noticing while you're playing.

Be sure to have plenty of free drive space, no unnessecary programs running, FPS Recording rate set to what works best with FRAPS+Recording In-Game (Not what your PC is capable of pushing out when NOT recording) and you should have better results.
RopeDrink is offline   Reply With Quote