WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Notorious Fluffy G
Initiate

Notorious Fluffy G is unknown at this point
Quit giving everything a 5.

Really.

Stop it.

You're all reminding me of a fanfiction.net reviews.

I'm tired of seeing "stop hatin'!" and people giving out 5.0s.

Give some decent criticism, share your honest opinion, that's what the damned ratings are here for. This isn't some circle jerk where you rate some guy's video a five and hope he comes along one day and gives yours a 5 in return.

Actually try to give a decent and fair review or don't bother reviewing at all.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #2
SnooX
Initiate

SnooX is an unknown quantity at this point
They get 5's and they get 1's ... rating is overrated =D
Old 01-27-2007, 03:29 AM   #3
Blacktrap

Blacktrap is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnooX View Post
They get 5's and they get 1's ... rating is overrated =D
Being overrated is underrated. Think about it. (Wouldn't you love to be earning millions as a movie star?)

But on topic, yes I completely agree. People should stop giving a 5 for everything. Do they not realise that a 5 is basically saying wow your movie is so mind-blowingly fantastic that I"m going to give you 100%! And yet I see comments such as "It was ok" or "It was not bad" and then a 5/5 score. I don't understand these people.

The best score I've given so far was 4.8 and that was for this movie:
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=30698

I think so far, my average rating would be around a 2.5 or 3.0 which is actually reasonable if you think about it. University scores in Australia for some tests/exams get normalised to a 60 average with a standard deviation of 1.2 or 12 or something - the point being that 60 (or 3/5) is a decent score. It's more than a pass and it's almost a credit. The automated ratings to give guides which I've seen for some movies so far don't help either because they're almost always over 4.0 which is 80%+.

/shrug Maybe I'm just a hard marker. But my comments are generally longer than most peoples and I almost always say what I liked and didn't like.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
We are aware of this and have come to the conclusion that the people rating honestly believe it was worth it and we can not touch those ratings unless they are in violation one of the rules, which they are not in most cases. If you feel this is in error then report the comments.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Blacktrap

Well I disagree that someone who says "It was ok..." really thinks it deserves a 5.

Is there a guide to rating anywhere?
It should have 4 parts and say something like this:

A guide to rating:

Content: this deals with such and such. Example: blah blah.
If you think their content was terrible rate a 1, if it was lacking and could use improvment give a 2 ... if you think it was outstanding and mind blowing, giv ea 5
Creativity: This deals with the artistic value or blah blah. Is this video exceptionally unique and ground breaking? Give a 4-5. If it's all been seen before and a clone of 100s of other videos, give a 1-2
Editing: How professional is the video? Is the editing annoying or enjoyable? Does it add or subtract from the movie?
A/V Qual: Did the music appeal to you? Was the voice acting if applicable easy to understand? Was the video tiny and hard to see or was it large and clear?

ETC ETC.

Once you were eligible to reach the value of Fame: 2, you could be automatically sent a PM asking you to read the guide and answer around 2-5 multiple choice questions to show you'd read it. Once completed, you would be given Fame: 2 and would be allowed to comment and rate movies.

What do you Admins think?

Last edited by Blacktrap : 01-27-2007 at 04:15 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Hentai

Hentai is notable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktrap View Post
Being overrated is underrated. Think about it. (Wouldn't you love to be earning millions as a movie star?)

But on topic, yes I completely agree. People should stop giving a 5 for everything. Do they not realise that a 5 is basically saying wow your movie is so mind-blowingly fantastic that I"m going to give you 100%! And yet I see comments such as "It was ok" or "It was not bad" and then a 5/5 score. I don't understand these people.

The best score I've given so far was 4.8 and that was for this movie:
http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=30698

I think so far, my average rating would be around a 2.5 or 3.0 which is actually reasonable if you think about it. University scores in Australia for some tests/exams get normalised to a 60 average with a standard deviation of 1.2 or 12 or something - the point being that 60 (or 3/5) is a decent score. It's more than a pass and it's almost a credit. The automated ratings to give guides which I've seen for some movies so far don't help either because they're almost always over 4.0 which is 80%+.

/shrug Maybe I'm just a hard marker. But my comments are generally longer than most peoples and I almost always say what I liked and didn't like.
I dont think that movie deserves 4.8, but you see, thats your opinion. I think Illegal danish or Tales of the past deserves it. But talking about the topic, yes it happens, people overrate the movies. And do you want to know why? In most cases we are talking about: "Friends of the player", "fans of the player" or simply "users that just rate high because they liked to watch it". The friends of the player will always rate high the movie, no mather what you say... The fans, will rate high even if this movie version sucks, like, we can see that at drakedog movies, the first ones were awsome, the last one was not that good, but still with high rate... As for users that dont know how to rate, i just have a good ideia:

Change the rate sistem to have another number (6) that only people with rate (30+ or 40++) will be able to set that vote. So we will have a number 6 that will change the rate, and GOOD movies will have the deserved score.

Sorry for the bad english. Tell me what you think about my ideia
Old 01-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
Blacktrap

I think your idea is creative but I think it would basically invalidate the ratings of anyone under your cutoff of 30+.
It'd be like saying "ok you can rate 1-5 but we all know those scores don't count, only the 6s count".

I also think there should be different categories for different movies.
If a movie is in the PvP section for example, then perhaps the "Creativity" rating could be changed to a "Skill" rating.
In a movie in the story section, creativity is important but creativity is less important in a PvP movie. Get what I'm saying? I often find that I want to rate a movie highly, however maybe creativity is irrelevant in the type of movie I'm watching and thus deserves a low score. However this would mean I'd be lowering my rating unfairly so I'm forced to overrate the creativity score to give a more appropriate overall rating.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Hentai

Hentai is notable
agreed, people need to work on this. It can't be just this simple. Like, this movie relased today: http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=35661

people keep giving: high creative and editing. WTF? :x its nice number, nice pvp damage, but no creative or editing at all... at last good content and music, nothing more...
Old 02-01-2007, 05:37 PM   #9
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
This is becoming senseless and the point is made, locked.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Gedan

Gedan is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktrap View Post
I think your idea is creative but I think it would basically invalidate the ratings of anyone under your cutoff of 30+.
It'd be like saying "ok you can rate 1-5 but we all know those scores don't count, only the 6s count".

I also think there should be different categories for different movies.
If a movie is in the PvP section for example, then perhaps the "Creativity" rating could be changed to a "Skill" rating.
In a movie in the story section, creativity is important but creativity is less important in a PvP movie. Get what I'm saying? I often find that I want to rate a movie highly, however maybe creativity is irrelevant in the type of movie I'm watching and thus deserves a low score. However this would mean I'd be lowering my rating unfairly so I'm forced to overrate the creativity score to give a more appropriate overall rating.
Think we have come up with a sulotion to this one Blacktrap, keep an eye out for changes in the rating system