WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
RaggokMDV: Let me just say I really appreciate you take your time to help us understand the serverity of the situation. We will not let this slip by without taking action. Its clear to me we need to rethink the spotbox policy. We will for sure consider any suggestion you might have.If we do tabs we will have to increase the amount of movies quite a lot. The easiest way to get the best movies up there would of course be to select the movies with the highest ratings but we really want a mix of "up and coming" and already established people.

The spotboxes has always been about helping authors get noticed but I feel we have not informed the authors on how to get up there. And as I wrote before we have to increase the overall flow across the spotboxes. They are simply too powerfull.

I guess you are aka Oozo?
Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Uzbeki

Dakkaeo: Thanks for joining the discussion. We have talked about letting users with x amount of fame help us select movies for the spotboxes. What do you think about this idea? We could make it premium only but I feel that having premium guerantees an unbiased view. Those with enough fame AND premium would of course be able to pick movie before its release. The goal is to get the community more involved in the selection of spotbox material.

We have also not informed authors when their movie has gotten spotlighted. One of our admins has suggested we should send out a PM to author each time we put up one of his/hers movies in the spotlight. "I am shaman" was a misstake wish I honestly hope we will not see again.

The reason why we have the "WCM promo" option is to help the moderator. We watch all movies but we not able to view all movies "back to back". In 90% of the cases this option would probably not be needed but sometimes the author makes their own promo and put its in the middle of the movie. However this does not in any way mean we do not take a good look at the work you submit.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 PM   #13
Dakkaeo
Initiate

Dakkaeo is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzbeki View Post
Dakkaeo: Thanks for joining the discussion. We have talked about letting users with x amount of fame help us select movies for the spotboxes. What do you think about this idea? We could make it premium only but I feel that having premium guerantees an unbiased view. Those with enough fame AND premium would of course be able to pick movie before its release. The goal is to get the community more involved in the selection of spotbox material.

I think fame is a fantastic idea. Usually those with high fame have good judgment on what is an entertaining, and what is not an entertaining film, because they've been on WCM for a while, and have done the work it takes to achieve high fame. The fame is a good idea because it is the best precaution you can take to prevent biost voting for the spotlight. Although this should not be the only system used to gain spotlight.

I would love to see something like that implemented- but lets not overlook how strong the spotlights are. Not only should fame effect votes into the spotlight, but I really think the different spotlight sections should be added. If help is needed for concept work, or to build those parts of the site, I'd be more than willing to lend a hand.

All in all, I'm sure I'm not the only hard-working author that would like to see some positive changes.
Dakkaeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:18 AM   #14
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Turnes out to be an interesting discussion here :

I agree that the "fame" based judgement makes more sense the the "premium" based one. Premium is no guarantee for a fair judgement as much as fame is.
And yes, the spotlight is extremely strong, I can definitly say by own experience now. Not that I don't like that. Why not giving some movies/authors a real push - if they deserve it. And why not put some of the old blockbusters up there from time to time. It's like watching TV ( I know - never stay tuned...) and suddenly there comes this old film you really liked, and its nice to see it again.
Informing authors via PM when they make it to the spotlight? I do not see the use of this. Be assured, they will notice soon enough
Tags on spotlights I think would be a great thing, but I mentioned that in another thread some time ago, just wanted to point it out again.
Spotlight section (one spotlight each section) does not sound usefull to me. How many spotlights would that be? One each section? whooo, thats a lot. So you leave some sections out, but wich one? For example, if you leave the "guide" section unspotlighted, cause there are only few guides popping up from time to time, my guide would never had the success it had. So eqaul chances for all, one spotlight each section - but this is simply to much, imho.
Let Dakkaeo go for it - it seems like he would even do it for free..

Regards

Dwârv

Last edited by Dwârv : 08-15-2007 at 05:31 AM.
Dwârv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:26 AM   #15
RaggokMDV
Initiate

RaggokMDV is unknown at this point
Quote:
We will for sure consider any suggestion you might have.If we do tabs we will have to increase the amount of movies quite a lot.
Damn, now I'm feeling bad for griping so much.

Any suggestions we make, of course, have unforseen problems since we don't know the system and exactly what type of work you have to go through to make things presentable.

Right now you have the bix picture box which is fine (and should be mostly reserved for those movies that are just guaranteed to knock people over), and then the four smaller picture boxes below. All I can suggest is what I did before... PvP, PvE, Other/Machinima tabs for that row of four. You should have enough PvP movies and Comedy/Drama/Storyline to fill those out? Maybe PvE would be rough?

If there is a lack of new movies to fill the slots you can always rotate through some golden oldies which I believe your script already does.

If you move towards a system where the viewers have more sway over what gets featured, I'd be a willing participant there as well. As stated above I think fame is a good measure if you are looking for user input.

And yes, I'm the much reviled and hated Oozo. ;(
RaggokMDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 AM   #16
Dakkaeo
Initiate

Agreed with above post.
Also, I think it should really lean away from selecting spotlight based on rating. All it takes is for a few scrubs who hate the author to give it a 1 as the movie's first few ratings and no spotlight for them.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #17
Uzbeki

I am going to start working on a system where people with enough fame (around 50) can suggest movies for the spotboxes with a simple click.

We will not just select movies with a good ratings but it is a pretty helpful tool. Most movies do not get spotlight at the same time as they are released and thus one bad rating will do little to diminish a movies chances.

As for tabs, it is something I want to explore but lets start with getting the community involved with the selection. After that we can determine how many spotlight tabs is needed and so on. Another issue we need to solve is what tab would be the default one? I guess we could add an option for it in "profile" and randomize it for non members and people who have not yet selected one.

We are also going to a crackdown on downraters this week. ^^
Old 08-16-2007, 09:25 AM   #18
Dakkaeo
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzbeki View Post
I am going to start working on a system where people with enough fame (around 50) can suggest movies for the spotboxes with a simple click.

We will not just select movies with a good ratings but it is a pretty helpful tool. Most movies do not get spotlight at the same time as they are released and thus one bad rating will do little to diminish a movies chances.

As for tabs, it is something I want to explore but lets start with getting the community involved with the selection. After that we can determine how many spotlight tabs is needed and so on. Another issue we need to solve is what tab would be the default one? I guess we could add an option for it in "profile" and randomize it for non members and people who have not yet selected one.

We are also going to a crackdown on downraters this week. ^^
we really appreciate the gesture, anything to make WCM more effective and better

well if tabs wouldn't work, howabout simply make more space on the front page, to have 3 different sets of spotlight material. 1 for PVE, 1 for PVP, and 1 for Comedy/Machinima/Storyline/Music(since there aren't too many of those often)
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #19
Uzbeki

Today we have implemented some of the changes discussed here. http://www.warcraftmovies.com/main.php#371

More to come next week.