WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
jng
Initiate

jng is unknown at this point
Fraps Problems!

Firstly, I have read the sticky and its a great thread, but it doesnt really help me with my problem - so if its ok I thought I would make my own post.

I used to fraps 2-3 years ago on a terrible terrible 250mb gfx card pc, and really enjoyed it and had hardly any issues (except managing the huge file size pre-render ofc). And recently I have the urge to make films for my guild again, which I thought would be great having a good knowledge of vegas and a very powerful pc - but im having all kinds of issues.

Im running at 200-250 fps in raids in combat on max 'ultra' settings, and yet when I fraps Im dropping to 10-20 fps and unplayable lag. I cant comprehend that my pc is struggling to run fraps when my pc's that cost 1/5th of the price 3 years ago could manage it fine.

Im guessing the problem is my resolution - im playing at 1900x1200 on 24" widescreen, I have tried setting the resolution to ~1200x800 dimensions and im still getting sub 20 fps and massive lag even when doing something simple like walking in an empty-ish zone. Then when i stop recording its straight back to 250+ fps.

I have the latest fraps and everything, is there anything I can do to fix this issue? i wouldnt mind playing at 30 fps at all, but to be on sub 20 with massive lag is not good enough to record on, let alone play on.

Any help would be really appreciated.
jng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
lordrushx1

lordrushx1 is unknown at this point
How much memory is on this "powerful" computer
lordrushx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
jng
Initiate

jng is unknown at this point
6 gb ram
jng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
lordrushx1

lordrushx1 is unknown at this point
might as well give your full specs while your at it because, that just doesnt make sense
lordrushx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #5
konobar
Initiate

konobar is an unknown quantity at this point
If you save your frapsed content to the same hard disk of your system or wow, that will happen, because hard drive isn't fast enough. Simple solution is to record on another hard drive which doesn't have windows or wow on it.
konobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Heineken
Initiate

Heineken is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you know when you do fraps you must play at the same FPS that you record with.

If you start fraps with 30fps then you will play the game with 30fps until u stop record. It's not ur ultra computer that lags.
To sum it up a little extra, when you start record with your fraps program, your computer will have the FPS as the fraps program. If Fraps is set on 30fps then you will play on 30fps ingame until u stop ur recording. When fraps is idle, then you will play with like 250fps.

It's not a bug, and it wont change with another program.

Last edited by Heineken : 05-09-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Jiv7119
Initiate

Jiv7119 is unknown at this point
I think i have the same problem as you, i didn't encounter it straight away though. I recorded some footage on high quality with no problems playing in game, and i then rendered the footage into a movie, but after that when i was recording my fps would drop very low and chunk up alot and be unplayable. After reading this i redownloaded fraps and saved it to the other hard drive (hope it helps, fingers crossed) and set frapsing fps to 60 which is what i get in game (with absolutely no problems with lag or slowness) on 4 gigs of ram, and 2x512MB video cards
Jiv7119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Jiv7119
Initiate

Jiv7119 is unknown at this point
THANKS HEAPS having fraps on the other harddrive fixed it completely
thanks!
Jiv7119 is offline   Reply With Quote