WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
joty
Initiate

joty is unknown at this point
Getting the best quality video

I just started to fraps some games tonight, and have spent most of the night messing around with different codecs in Vegas. I'm fairly clueless about all of this, so I'm wondering what's the highest quality codec (what settings etc?) I can use without the file size getting too out of hand.

I followed the stickied tutorial, and it was decent I suppose. There is a fairly noticeable difference between the original file from fraps and the compressed version, which is expected. The detail isn't too bad, it just seems much flatter.

So, before I delete a bunch of the junk files, I just want to make sure I'm compressing the clips I want to keep to the highest quality.
joty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Terwilliger

Terwilliger is unknown at this point
I don't understand what you are looking for.

Do you want the best settings for Vegas for rendering at the best quality or the best settings for Fraps/WoW to get the better quality raw footage?

Edit: Thiras will post soon.

It takes years to build trust, and just seconds to destroy it.
Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:08 AM   #3
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Quote:

sounds like a threat

running for cover

Dwârv
Old 09-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
joty
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terwilliger View Post
I don't understand what you are looking for.

Do you want the best settings for Vegas for rendering at the best quality or the best settings for Fraps/WoW to get the better quality raw footage?

Well, in one of the sticky's (I think the one about setting up fraps) it said the only way to get better preformance out of fraps, was to have a seperate hard drive for wow, or a beast HD in general.

The fraps footage was fine (Would always like to improve if possible of course). I'm looking to improve the quality of the compressed video (as I said) before I delete the original footage.

Last edited by joty : 09-03-2007 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Rofl @ terwilliger :>

Eh so.

If you want to compress your clips *before* editing I'd strongly advice against it. Less quality and codecs designed for watching purposes only (xvid, wmv, etc) don't go along well with editing programs.

The flatness is normal. Has to do with colorspaces and crap.

edit: And the best codec is in most cases xvid. wmv sometimes does a better job. Depends on editing/res/sharpness/if its raining in japan
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #6
vegito254

vegito254 is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiras View Post
if its raining in japan
Hahaha cracked me up
vegito254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
zap
Initiate

zap is unknown at this point
h.264 imo
zap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Thiras

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
h.264 imo
Incompatibility and slow encoding/decoding speeds calling zap.

Yes, h.264 allows for good quality - but at the cost of requiring *much* more of a monster computer than other comparable codecs.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
joty
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiras View Post
Incompatibility and slow encoding/decoding speeds calling zap.

Yes, h.264 allows for good quality - but at the cost of requiring *much* more of a monster computer than other comparable codecs.
How would I go about rendering to h.264? I read about this elsewhere and tried to render some videos the other night but kept running into a "The selected codec does not support the current render settings"

I play WoW in a 1280x1024 resolution, and it seems all my fraps videos come out as 800x600 for some reason. My PC isn't the greatest but it's fairly new (6750 duo, 8600 512mb, 2g ram).

I've just been rendering everything to the DivX codec via the tutorial, but now that I've gotten some stellar clips I'm just worried that the quality is terrible. It looks comparable to other movies up on WCM but I just imagined I could have an awesome quality movie with my new PC. I was thinking around 5-600MB for a 30-40 min movie.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, and I'm sorry if my english is poor as it is not my first language.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 PM   #10
Thiras

Quote:
Originally Posted by joty View Post
How would I go about rendering to h.264? I read about this elsewhere and tried to render some videos the other night but kept running into a "The selected codec does not support the current render settings"

I play WoW in a 1280x1024 resolution, and it seems all my fraps videos come out as 800x600 for some reason. My PC isn't the greatest but it's fairly new (6750 duo, 8600 512mb, 2g ram).

I've just been rendering everything to the DivX codec via the tutorial, but now that I've gotten some stellar clips I'm just worried that the quality is terrible. It looks comparable to other movies up on WCM but I just imagined I could have an awesome quality movie with my new PC. I was thinking around 5-600MB for a 30-40 min movie.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, and I'm sorry if my english is poor as it is not my first language.
Find x264 & use that.

It's sort of tricky but I think it turns out nice with the proper settings (and I don't know what the proper settings for wow vids are since I haven't tested it a single bit)