WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
Arteska
Initiate

Arteska is an unknown quantity at this point
Capture and rendering issues/questions

Hello everyone. Love the forum and have been spending a lot of time wading through posts and I appreciate the experienced people sharing their knowledge.

I have a couple of issues that I've been able to get kind of tangential answers to but I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions as some of the tech talk bogs down my understanding of what I'm encountering.

I've made other WoW vids on an older computer I had and never really had problems with them because I was playing, capturing and rendering 800x600 using fraps and an older version of Vegas Movie Studio + DVD.

However, I've since acquired a much better machine and can now play and fraps at 1680x1050. and my .wmv renders come out in a way that makes information in in-game chat windows and some other UI elements unintelligible, etc..

I understand that I'm having resolution and rendering issues and I get that forcing a 1680x1050 image to something like 800x600 or whatever is going to lose some detail but I see many high quality vids with none of the UI degradation that I'm seeing and I'm wondering what I can do.

Bottom line is that given that I can cap at 1680x1050 I'm wondering what my capture and render settings should be. Because I'm working with widescreen source material I'd like my final vids to be in the same ratio as well.

I'm also curious about each of the rendering steps people take from start to finish. I've seen a few people advocate rendering an uncompressed avi (I have to believe this would be just monstrous and possibly not feasible at 1680x1050) and then compressing that avi but I just would like to know what I can do to achieve quality comparable to the higher end vids out there. I certainly have the equipment though I'm guessing my old version of Vegas Movie Studio plays a large part as well. I plan to upgrade that but even so would appreciate some tips about what kind of source and render settings the pros out there are using to come up with their great work.

Thanks and sorry for the long and likely duplicate post.

Last edited by Arteska : 11-02-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Arteska is offline   Reply With Quote