WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
GhostNPC
Initiate

GhostNPC is unknown at this point
Vegas vs AE?

On a few machinimas that I have been watching, I notice that there are occasions that Sony Vegas is used along with After Effects. I'm rather new to WoW machinima work, though I have a reasonable amount of experience working with AE and Premiere Pro.

Is there anything that Vegas exceeds at compared to the other two? Better blue/greenscreening maybe? I'm just thinking that I might be missing something, as some movies have both programs credited.
GhostNPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
Yvese
Initiate

Yvese is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, for me, I use AE to make my intro. That's it really. Vegas is used to edit the rest of my video.
Yvese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
AE is made for making clips (fancy effects, generating, etc). Premiere and vegas are used for compositing (positioning, cropping, simple effects, transitions, cutting). Thats the difference, essentially.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
GhostNPC
Initiate

Strange.. Is it odd for me to be doing mostly everything in After Effects then? eg, keying, positioning, transitions, ect... I mainly only use Premiere for syncing up sound and placing the clips together. Is this method inefficient? (long render times in AE, after all..)
Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #5
Macky
Initiate

Macky is an unknown quantity at this point
I use AE to do it all
Personally I Hate premiere etc after years of editing on Avid and I find the RAM preview on AE to be very very handy
There isn't any problems doing it all in AE imo, just that it's a compositing package not an online editing package, so in that respect it doesn't have the `cutting' tools other packages have (not that ya really miss them)

AE comes with a 30 day trail, so if ya can't afford it, download it (a few gigs if iirc) and make sure ya ready to go and get stuck in for 30 days nps
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
GhostNPC
Initiate

This next question is somewhat on topic, so I'll add it here.

Keying. I'm still trying to get a handle on Keylight addon from The Foundry.. It's rather annoying to use. The edges around my characters become either fuzzy or have a thick black outline (is this normal?)

In your opinion, is Vegas better compared to AE in this field? Or should I just keep kicking away at this addon?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
KimOhNo
Initiate

KimOhNo is unknown at this point
youre doing everything right Vegas Premiere is NOT for compositing , i mean After Effects is a compositing programm... Just find out how keylight works best, play around with the settings for shrink and blur
KimOhNo is offline   Reply With Quote