WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Discussion - NEW
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
Discuss Tales of the Past III

Okay, how can we not have this topic?

I felt that this should have been something I saw in theaters, not my house computer. It was not done justice. It should be some world wide thing, but this is one of those times when I'm glad I can say..... Thank God For Fast Internet! I saw Tales I and Tales II and thought, okay this movie might be pretty good too, although I never enjoyed sequals much... but my god!

III blew both previous movies out of the water by far. And to have put that much work into a movie, I'm very disappointed at blizzard for not having some kind of announcement or something like this on their website, not even their community spotlight.

As of right now I've watched the movie 3 times. The first time I was interrupted a bunch because of RL issues, but the second time I got to watch the whole thing, full screen, no interruptions. I loved it so much I watched it a third time right after, and I'm in love with the movie. I've been dying to see the World of Warcraft movie from Legendary Pictures that was announced long ago, but thats supposed to be a late like 2008 or 2009 movie or something.... This one came out, and my God, you could have released it in theaters and i would have actually believed blizzard or legendary pictures created this as the World of Warcraft movie.

I'm burning it to DvD before I go to bed so that I will always have this movie to watch. This movie was plotted out and filmed so perfectly, and the details of the story are described with such passion and feeling..... I felt involved with the storyline just knowing that I play warcraft. I have not only the greatest respect to the creators of this movie, but everyone who was ever involved in its creation, involving every person who took time out of their personal lives to get on his server and assist him in filming it.

And for him to have such great friends that would give him so much time over a year's span to make the movie, he is really living life. The meaning of life is to live it to it's fullest, and hes doing that. Not because he made something cool or because of the games he plays or the hobbies he has, but if you look at the time and effort that anyone spends on anything on God's green Earth.... Very little things can come close in comparison.

For one person to have a dream, is common.

It's every single one of us.

For one person to go out and make that dream a reality, isn't just heroic, it's Legendary. Like the movie says, he is a Legend.

okay im done with my little personal thing for this topic, im off to bed, so i can get up nice and early and watch it on my tv/dvd
Vandalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #2
Undeadish

Undeadish is unknown at this point
Agreed, 200%
Old 12-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Lauli55
Initiate

Lauli55 is unknown at this point
Today I finished downloading it...
Watched it...
IT'S EPIC!!!!
I mean, the story, the voices, the editing... All is perfect made!

If you didn't already: DOWNLOAD IT AND WATCH IT!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalist
III blew both previous movies out of the water by far. And to have put that much work into a movie, I'm very disappointed at blizzard for not having some kind of announcement or something like this on their website, not even their community spotlight.
yea, that's actually very sad... Maybe something will happen... Maybe...

But yea, some critism (In case you didn't watch TotPIII yet, don't read following!):
The ending was actually a little bit disappointing. I mean Blazer sacrifized himself only to kill Arthas and he's still alive
But well, therefore the rest was perfect
Lauli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
Martinfalch
Hall of Fame member

Martinfalch is unknown at this point
Thanks for the very touching post, Vandalist I'm really happy that the movie was enjoyable to most of the community here and it's been a pleasure to work on it for 1,5 years. One thing that really impresses me is how the voiceactors put hours and hours of effort into their characters, having no clue on how the final movie might turn out - it's amazing to work with so dedicated people!

About the ending of the movie, there's a couple of threads discussing that (I think one is like 5 pages already) on the forums on www.talesofthepast.com where I explain a bit further why I chose to end it like that

But thanks for all the support and all the great comments the movie's gotten! Really makes it worth all the time spent on it!

- Martin
Martinfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Punchline

Punchline is notable
Ya, it was the most amazing machinima I've ever seen. I'm planning on putting all three TotP movies on a DVD sometime.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #6
Danath2000
Initiate

Danath2000 is unknown at this point
Sorry, the movie was average, being long does not make it epic, nor does turning Arthas into a character from Dragon Ball Z. Blazer is also a ridiculous name considering the names of EVERYONE else in the movie, let alone the actual warcraft universe.

The movie's itself was pretty good, but its not AMAZING, the angst got over the top, especially in regards to Blazer, and the unconcluded scene with that elf turning undead threw me for a loop, considering you dedicated a scene to her and her troops dieing, and coming back from the dead to fight the dwarf in wrath armor.

I would give this movie a 4/5, the movie was GOOD, but theres so many problems with it, I mean you even turned Jaina into a useless sop whos only truly successful ability is the fact she can teleport around, and I wouldnt say that you used actual lore in this movie, especially if you at all related Lord of the Clans or Day of the Dragon to this movie, or read all of wowwiki, because the breaks from actual lore are simply too numerous to count.
Danath2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Martinfalch
Hall of Fame member

Martinfalch is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath2000 View Post
Sorry, the movie was average, being long does not make it epic, nor does turning Arthas into a character from Dragon Ball Z. Blazer is also a ridiculous name considering the names of EVERYONE else in the movie, let alone the actual warcraft universe.

The movie's itself was pretty good, but its not AMAZING, the angst got over the top, especially in regards to Blazer, and the unconcluded scene with that elf turning undead threw me for a loop, considering you dedicated a scene to her and her troops dieing, and coming back from the dead to fight the dwarf in wrath armor.

I would give this movie a 4/5, the movie was GOOD, but theres so many problems with it, I mean you even turned Jaina into a useless sop whos only truly successful ability is the fact she can teleport around, and I wouldnt say that you used actual lore in this movie, especially if you at all related Lord of the Clans or Day of the Dragon to this movie, or read all of wowwiki, because the breaks from actual lore are simply too numerous to count.
Well as I wrote in the comments, feel free to enlighten me with the numerous holes I've made in the lore and explain how to better use it About Jaina being a useless sop, then in relation to Arthas, that's basically what she would be in terms of strength and ability, at least according to most lore sources. I could of course have gone more indepth with the Monori/Serphentos scene, but there wasn't really place for it in the movie and I think alot of people would have felt it dragged on too much. By the way, if you consider the lore, Monori's story isn't unconcluded - in every way it's meant to be similar to Sylvanas. As The Lich King is defeated, the control of Monori is lifted and she is able to return to her own control, however as a Forsaken as Sylvanas, hence why we see her besides Sylvanas at the funeral scene - so I'd say that's concluded, she simply joins with the Forsaken in the end and has the same fate as Sylvanas.

About Blazer - did you watch TotPII and TotPI? Blazer is the name of the character playing Blazer, just like Yimo, Thainor, Rauko, Serphentos, Monori etc. As to Blazer not fitting into the lore, I don't really have much comments to that, that's basically a personal opinion of yours that you're welcome to have

About the DBZ If you read the summary, you'd know that I asked people that couldn't handle anime in wow-machinima not to watch it, I guess you're in the category that did so regardless. I can say that before you say that it has no place, consider just a couple of things:

Arthas ended up fusing with the Lich King (excactly like a fusion in DBZ)

Upon the fusion, their combined power was so great that the entire Ice Crown mountain was shattered (Again, obvious anime refference)

The fight between Illidan and Arthas in TFT is also obviously anime-inspired.

There is a Chris Metzen approved manga released by Blizzard, which is played out in the Warcraft universe.

One of the most popular discussions about Warcraft lore on the forums are about the strengths of different characters, sort of in the style: "YE but Kil'Jaeden is like sooo much stronger than Arthas" etc etc - a discussion that is supported by Chris Metzen himself.

Heck, the whole leveling system in WoW is pretty much the same as any "power-level-based" anime you can find out there.

So before you say that I personally turned Arthas into a DBZ character, I hope you'll consider that some of it belongs to the lore too. I don't feel I stretched it too much - the end fight had to be epic, else I might as well just have skipped it. The ingame version will most likely be a raid taking down Arthas with some NPC help and if that's more epic, feel free to watch Pve videos when they come out. Else, please explain to me how, with the animations and possibilities given within wow, you'd have made the end fight epic/grand without the use - in any way - of something that might seem a bit like DBZ/Devil May Cry/other animes

Sorry for the long reply, but I've been seeing these comments pop up a couple of places and feel I should give a thourough reply. I hope you'll respond with an appropriate answer because it seems everytime I explain myself I never get a counter-answer

- Martin

Last edited by Martinfalch : 12-19-2007 at 02:15 PM.
Martinfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
kiahann

kiahann is notable
I gotta say it is the best movie ever released in my opinion, I mean the music was spot on. The editing was over the top (in a good way) and it flowed just like a real movie and had a lot of the tense moments that kept you right into the story. That needs to be shown at blizzcon
Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #9
Valamir

Valamir is unknown at this point
To respond about the community spotlight on WoW's website, there has to be a lot of people that request it if Blizzard wants to even consider it to be on the front page. I personally have tried to get a lot of our authors on their front page and I received a response from them one day basically saying it will take a lot of people requesting the same thing to get it on the front page. I personally think Blizzard holds a grudge against us because we are the best machinima website out there and also because we beat them to it. They have only linked to us once in the three years I have been volunteering on this website staff. I want this author on the front page of the WoW website, so we all need to email them the link to the movie page.
Valamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 01:25 AM   #10
Hobo
Initiate

Hobo is unknown at this point
What is the email we should send the link to? I'll gladly send one.
Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote