WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
Anirux
Initiate

Anirux is an unknown quantity at this point
is 30 fps the max?

Okay guys, I have a simple question for anybody who has a good computer out there and makes videos. Is the max fps while frapsing always 30? Because I get about 130 fps usually on ultra and even when fraps is set to 60 it just drops to 30. Any help is appreciated.
Anirux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Essentheymy
Initiate

Essentheymy is an unknown quantity at this point
its not , ther's no real limit beside the 60 from fraps , its complicated to tell how to increase it since its a matter of setting from your graphical card , and its change on every model/computer spec

if you know how to play with you wow setting and your graphical card go for it , otherwise 30 isnt bad : )
Essentheymy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Kasumirevy
Initiate

Kasumirevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally I don't see any reason why you would want to do any recording over 30 fps. After encoding for the net chances are you want it down to 30 or 25 fps or you're going to have a pretty heavy sized file. (not to mention getting clips at different frame rates in sync)

30 Fps is very playable in any fight. I actually have a top end computer, but I record in 25 fps, and even when not recording I don't actually play wow maxed in settings because as nice as it is, I prefer fast response , no lag, and glamor can detour from a good damage cycle.
Kasumirevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #4
MrWise

MrWise is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasumirevy View Post
Personally I don't see any reason why you would want to do any recording over 30 fps.
Videos look way better with increased frame rates even above 30.

But either way, recording MORE than 30 helps a lot when the output is going to be 30 aswell, because of effects like slowmotion- you never know when you get that really intense moment you want to clarify, or that really good looking jump cast SW D on a blind, or whatever.
MrWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Cragen
Initiate

Cragen is unknown at this point
Biggest problem people are having when wanting fraps to hit a 100% steady 60 fps is your harddrive.

I have a Core i7 at 3.8ghz, GTX 285 graphics card ect, but I only have a single western digital caviar green to record on to. That is the HDD I got WoW installed. Got Windows on a SSD.

With that setup I can get 100% stable 30 fps when recording at 1920x1200 but anything over that will cause fps drops and lag spikes and then the point of recording over 30 fps is moot.

So to get over 30 fps you'd need to fast HDDs in raid 0 to be able to handle the data load, and even that might not be enough.
Cragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
MrWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragen View Post
Biggest problem people are having when wanting fraps to hit a 100% steady 60 fps is your harddrive.

So to get over 30 fps you'd need to fast HDDs in raid 0 to be able to handle the data load, and even that might not be enough.
I don't have any problems recording 100fps onto a single 7200rpm mechanical drive (at 1280x).
Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Cragen
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWise View Post
I don't have any problems recording 100fps onto a single 7200rpm mechanical drive (at 1280x).
Try it at 1920x1200 and see how the FPS is then

For me I will not fraps below that since WoW looks like absolute shit when not playing on the native resolution of the screen, and mine is 1920x1200.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #8
MrWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragen View Post
Try it at 1920x1200 and see how the FPS is then

For me I will not fraps below that since WoW looks like absolute shit when not playing on the native resolution of the screen, and mine is 1920x1200.
Increasing resolution or any other graphics settings has an effect on my framerate regardless of if I'm recording with fraps or not though, most harddrives have a maximum transfer rate of something like 3gb/s do they not? Fraps doesnt exactly come close to those amounts~

But I'm not completely sure how the mechanics of these things work exactly.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
Cragen
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWise View Post
Increasing resolution or any other graphics settings has an effect on my framerate regardless of if I'm recording with fraps or not though, most harddrives have a maximum transfer rate of something like 3gb/s do they not? Fraps doesnt exactly come close to those amounts~

But I'm not completely sure how the mechanics of these things work exactly.
The transfer rate is 3gb/s that is correct, butwhat counts with fraps since the read/write speed.

The higher resolution you fraps at the more information the harddrive needs to write per second, and increasing and increasing the FPS of the footage means even more information needs to be prosessed.

That is why you'd need something like 2x 10000 RMP Western Digital VelociRaptrons in Raid 0 to get that read/write speed required for that huge amount of information fraps generates.

You could also get close to it with a SSD, but the problem with SSD is the size limit and cost. I got a 80 GB SSD, but since I use it as a system harddrive I get worse FPS frapsing to that then the regular 7200 RMP storage drive I got.

Now the absolute best thing would be for some coding genius to actually redo the whole fraps code and make a new program that is designed for todays hardware.

Fraps though improved over the years is still a program designed for 32 bit and single core CPUs. With todays fast quad cores it should be possible to do some compression to the frapsed video on the fly which would lessen the load on the HHD and make this whole problem moot

But when I get my desktop up and running and I get my paycheck on the 30th I'm buying 2 Western Digital Caviar Black HHDs which seems to be one of the fastes and most reliable 7200rms. Having those in raid 0 should make frapsing at 60 fps at 1920x1200 possible, (I hope..)