WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #1
adoragon
Initiate

adoragon is unknown at this point
Having trouble after encoding...

I have just recently began to try and make WoW movies. I am running a phenom 9500 with 4 gigs 1067 ram, a raptor 150g sata HD, and 2 3870 vid cards in crossfire. I made a 1 min video to test out fraps and used the guide posted here, http://www.warcraftmovies.com/articleview.php?id=21. That video worked out perfectly fine. Then I tried making an actual video at length and I can't get it to work right. I made a 20 min video of me and a friend in AB. After i do the 2 passes, I get picture but no video. After i use videodubmod to lay the encoded sound on top of it, the size of the new file is just slightly larger than the size of the audio file. The only thing I changed was in FRAPS i changed it from recording in 60 FPS to 30 FPS and yet I get no video when trying to watch it. I can watch the 1 min video perfectly fine but for some reason, any others that I try and make then view won't work.

I also recorded some boss fights tonight from SSC and tried to make it work there too. I had the same result. The total length of the video i tried to do there was only 10 mins. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
adoragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
adoragon
Initiate

I forgot to add, if you couldnt tell, I'm doin it with xvid.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
What you're doing is common, see the first pass doesn't produce any video and I think that's what you're trying to watch.

Best to do it like: Save first pass as movie.avi, then overwrite that when you save the second pass, saves you any confusion.

Gl with your movie
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
adoragon
Initiate

Just wanna make sure, since I did it using the same name, does it have to be named movie.avi in particular or just the same name for pass 1 and 2?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Thiras

Doesn't have to be the same or anything.

Pass 1 produces two files: the .avi (which is "empty", blank picture) and a stats file which is saved on the c root I believe. the stats file is what pass 2 uses, the avi is irrelevant.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
adoragon
Initiate

Hmm.... that's what I did when I redid the video last night. I named it tidewalker.avi and then used the same name for the 2nd pass. I then did a .wmv the way stated in the guide and it worked fine. When i use vegas (trial) a 2nd window pops open for Xvid but it says something along the lines of "Xvid (Not Responding)". I think it did the same thing for my 1 min video too though. Do you think something could have happened to make the xvid codec be acting wierd? You think I might have to reload the codec?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Thiras

Xvid does that in vegas, its normal.

When you get it right the video size will be far larger than the audio.

Make sure you're using a target bitrate of a few thousand kbit.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
adoragon
Initiate

I've been setting it at 2k for pass 2. Should I bump it to 3k and see if that helps it out? Sorry for all these questions, <----complete fraps/encoding nub. But, I have taken it upon myself to FRAPS our encounters and post them for everyone to see to boost guild morale.