WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Epix7
Initiate

Epix7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Raw fraps footage

Usually people are arguing about the quality at the end product what they produce from the raw fraps footage. But i alrady start complaining at the raw footage itself, i'm not pleased with it. What i'm using:

- Very fast computer, seperate large HD for the raw videos.
- Latest retail Fraps
- 1680x1050 resolution
- Ingame setting on high.
- Fraps settings: sound off, No fps show, No mouse pointer, Full screen and 30 fps.

Is there a way to have better quality raw footage? The quality i have now is kinda like the same saving a image to .jpg wich is bad quality compared to .bmp

I don't care about the size of the raw data, all i want is the same raw quality to be just like ingame quality.
Epix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
MrWise

MrWise is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epix7 View Post
Usually people are arguing about the quality at the end product what they produce from the raw fraps footage. But i alrady start complaining at the raw footage itself, i'm not pleased with it. What i'm using:

- Very fast computer, seperate large HD for the raw videos.
- Latest retail Fraps
- 1680x1050 resolution
- Ingame setting on high.
- Fraps settings: sound off, No fps show, No mouse pointer, Full screen and 30 fps.

Is there a way to have better quality raw footage? The quality i have now is kinda like the same saving a image to .jpg wich is bad quality compared to .bmp

I don't care about the size of the raw data, all i want is the same raw quality to be just like ingame quality.
Are you sure that it's not your video player that's to blame, and are you sure you're watching the clip in fullscreen at 1680x1050 monitor/desktop/whatever resolution so that it's not resizing it for display?

Fraps doesnt really have any freedom in letting you set codec settings or use alternative codecs, which is kinda sad- it would be nice to be able to have a bit more control over it... but the raw fraps footage I'm getting is practically lossless, so I'm not sure what problems you're having
MrWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Epix7
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWise View Post
Are you sure that it's not your video player that's to blame, and are you sure you're watching the clip in fullscreen at 1680x1050 monitor/desktop/whatever resolution so that it's not resizing it for display?

Fraps doesnt really have any freedom in letting you set codec settings or use alternative codecs, which is kinda sad- it would be nice to be able to have a bit more control over it... but the raw fraps footage I'm getting is practically lossless, so I'm not sure what problems you're having
Yep everything is up to date, fullscreen clip is at 1680x1050. I did hower updated my drivers recently but no difference after. But one thing seems to work, I tried putting my wow resolution to 1440x900 and frapsed it. The raw quality was much better, only problem was the screen was still stretched to 1680x1050 >.<
Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
MrWise

Quote:
Yep everything is up to date, fullscreen clip is at 1680x1050.
Just because a bad video player is up to date doesnt make it good compared to a good video player. Try downloading VLC (VideoLAN client) to see if that makes any difference in playback quality.

"fullscreen clip is at 1680x1050" does that mean the clip is displayed at that resolution in fullscreen and that you're sure of it?

Quote:
I did hower updated my drivers recently but no difference after. But one thing seems to work, I tried putting my wow resolution to 1440x900 and frapsed it. The raw quality was much better, only problem was the screen was still stretched to 1680x1050 >.<
Hmm, so when you're recording WoW, your raw footage gets stretched to 1680x1050 no matter what resolution you record it in?

Are you playing on a laptop, or using a flatscreen monitor? I've heard a lot of problems people have had with resolution/aspect ratio for recording or streaming xfire for example~
Old 07-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Epix7
Initiate

Tried VLC, aint all better tbh. Yes the clip is displayed proper at 1680x1050 fullscreen.

My monitor is 22 inch and 1680x1050 gives the best display, anything lower would make it look ugly but i noticed running the game on a lower resolution and frapsing that gives better quality but with the downside being blurry/stretched.

EDIT: Forget the idea about lower resolutions i just noticed the shit quality is still the same for raw movies >.<

EDIT2: Does crystal clear raw footage even exist with fraps or am i just asking to much? Is there always some quality loss with raw data?

EDIT3: I made this some time ago, is the quality out of it the best or can it be better?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgMDS6LJxV4

Last edited by Epix7 : 07-20-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
MrWise

Quote:
My monitor is 22 inch and 1680x1050 gives the best display, anything lower would make it look ugly
So I take it that's your way of saying "yes I'm using a flatscreen monitor that is only made for one specific resolution"?

Quote:
EDIT2: Does crystal clear raw footage even exist with fraps or am i just asking to much? Is there always some quality loss with raw data?
It's supposed to be lossless, as in- it's supposed to be as crystal clear in the video file as it is in-game.

Quote:
EDIT3: I made this some time ago, is the quality out of it the best or can it be better?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgMDS6LJxV4
You're asking if that's the best it can be for youtube? I think you can get a lot better quality on youtube by not having black bars on the sides of the video, and using higher bitrate for h264 as a codec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4KBM...el_page&fmt=22 is the avrage quality I get on youtube with my clips, it's far from raw but decent for a free streaming service I'd say.

Last edited by MrWise : 07-20-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
Blueroze

Blueroze is an unknown quantity at this point
Take a couple of screenshots and upload them for us to view.
Blueroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Epix7
Initiate

Screenshot of the raw Fraps footage:
http://img23.imageshack.us/i/pnggwv.png/

Normal ingame screenshot:
http://img23.imageshack.us/i/pngingamescreen.png/
Old 07-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #9
Blueroze

Blueroze is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Screenshot of the raw Fraps footage:
http://img23.imageshack.us/i/pnggwv.png/

Normal ingame screenshot:
http://img23.imageshack.us/i/pngingamescreen.png/
I see no difference o.0
Blueroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:53 AM   #10
MrWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueroze View Post
I see no difference o.0
Clear difference in color, look at the chat text for example.