WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > General Community Discussion > General MMORPG Discussion
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #1
Dirkgently25
Initiate

Dirkgently25 is unknown at this point
Levelling mechanics

Hi all, I am long time MMORPGer (if that's a real term) currently playing WoW. Most of the MMORPGs I have seen recently follow a very similar pattern when it comes to increasing the abilities of your avatar each time you level up.
Although I believe it has now changed, I quite liked the idea that Star Wars Galaxies used - you levelled up "firearms" for example, by firing a really basic gun. Once you had fired it enough time and had "experience" with it, the trees above it opened up, for example "pistols", "rifles", "carbines" (please forgive me if these titles are not accurate - I played this around 6 years ago!). You would then choose which of those trees you wanted to concentrate on which would, in turn, open up further trees. Each tree was given a points value, and you had a certain number of points to spend in total over whichever trees you saw fit.
I have been trying to find another MMORPG or even an offline RPG with a similar level-up strategy, or even anything that is not the run-of-the-mill WoW/Everquest/Dark Age of Camelot type.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Dirkgently25 is offline   Reply With Quote