WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
sgunners
Initiate

sgunners is unknown at this point
Movie Encoding Project Help

Hello...

I am new here and I must say this forum has an abundance of information and has kept me busy the last 3 days. I am completely new to the world of movie encoding and would like to get into it.

I have used Premiere Pro CS3/Sony Vegas/Avid (Avid buggy because it doesn't support ATI cards).

I have a generally good idea of what i'm doing but it seems like what I'm trying to do cannot be accomplished for some reason. Here is my dilema:

--

I would like to create a project, capturing video from World of Warcraft at my native monitor/play resolution of 1920x1080 (1080p LCD).

At the moment I'm running a single core CPU, so fraps will not be able to capture this at the desired resolution (I have a CPU on order that should arrive within the week)

So now, I've got a 4 gig raw movie file roughly 10 minutes long.

I've been able to use sony vegas to import/export without any issues, however I would much rather use Premiere as I am more comfortable with the layout of the application.

I've opened my raw movie file in premiere, added music, transitions etc.

... First question

When I start my project in Premiere the resolution I specify for my project, this will be the resolution that my project is exported as? or the resolution of the imported clips? example: I want my final movie to be 1280x1024, but the video I am importing to use is 1600x1200. Should my project be 1600x1200 or 1280x1024?

... Secondly

If me (on a widescreen lcd) watches a non-widescreen movie, I usually see the black border around the movie (to compensate for non-widescreen). If I am creating a widescreen movie, and someone WITHOUT widescreen watches it, do parts of the movie get cut off? or is it just resized to fit their screen?

... and finally lastly

I have tried encoding using all codecs in premiere and I am very dissapointed with how they have turned out. I have read it is best to export to uncompressed and use VirtualDub to compress.

I've done that. I've saved my movie as uncompressed, used virtualdub xvid encoding, 2pass encoding, 1st pass (saved data/high quality), 2nd pass (3000bitrate)

This saves to Xvid compatible movie, small in size, great quality, however every time I attempt to upload it to stage6, I am greeted by a message saying that the movie is uncompatible and to use dr.divx to encode. (I've tried Dr.Divx and I cannot stand using it, not to mention the output movie has no sound)

What am I doing wrong that I cannot upload to stage6 via xvid compression?

When I use sony vegas to export with the DivX codec the movies come out looking great and I can upload it however I would much rather do this with Premiere and Xvid instead.

I've spent the last 3 days searching the internet for help with this to no luck so any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

edit::

I am unable to create an acceptable stage6 .avi file using virtualdub with divx as well as xvid now.

Last edited by sgunners : 10-24-2007 at 10:00 PM.
sgunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
The MC
Initiate

The MC is unknown at this point
1) 1280x1024. But you should know that its always better for quality to keep the original size. So sacrificing a little in game quality to record at 10280x1024 pays off in the end.

2) You shouldn't get any borders, specialy if your not watching in full screen. Depends on the video player probably. And even if it dosen't other people should still see it in widescreen

3) It probably is due to the resolution. Have you seen this guide http://stage6.divx.com/user/brushyot...ies-for-Stage6 ?
The MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
sgunners
Initiate

Quote:
3) It probably is due to the resolution. Have you seen this guide http://stage6.divx.com/user/brushyot...ies-for-Stage6 ?
you're link directs me to a smiley face gif

where can i upload a 12 mb movie of what isn't accepted by stage6? Maybe if someone can take a look they might be able to tell me what the heck im doing wrong.

Also the finished product is 1920x1080 so I don't think there is any issue with resolution.

Last edited by sgunners : 10-24-2007 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
The MC
Initiate

Meh, well this link works 100%

http://www.mmorpgforum.net/showthread.php?t=1539

and i was thinking maybe the Stage6 needs some special resolution ratio

and you can always upload to filefront or google, or youtube maybe eaven

Last edited by The MC : 10-25-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
sgunners
Initiate

ok here is one I did with sony vegas

http://stage6.divx.com/user/strictly...Guild-Football

I just noticed another issue... When the video starts streaming you will not get hear any sound. The sound/music only starts when the whole video has loaded (which sucks because you are about halfway through watching it before the sound actually starts)

Is this a problem with audio codecs?

I've seen the tutorial you posted above and under audio codec I don't have the same options as the guy in the video does.

So I started downloading codecs and packs and still nothing.

Can someone tell me how to do this straight from scratch step by step(from new windows install) cause I've got like 50 different codecs, audio video divx xvid and its just a big mess...

the only codecs i've used before playing around with this were the quicktime alternative/real player alternative.

Can someone give me a list of which codecs I NEED to encode this movie properly for upload on stage6? I don't want to fill my computer with junk just the essentials.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
The MC answered most of your questions already but, anyhoo

Find the FourCC box in the xvid options, set it to divx, then stage6 shouldn't complain anymore. Don't use Global Motion Compensation then or it won't look pretty.

As for the audio.. use uncompressed, doesn't really hurt anyone when their streaming is so fast anyway.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
sgunners
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiras View Post
The MC answered most of your questions already but, anyhoo

Find the FourCC box in the xvid options, set it to divx, then stage6 shouldn't complain anymore. Don't use Global Motion Compensation then or it won't look pretty.

As for the audio.. use uncompressed, doesn't really hurt anyone when their streaming is so fast anyway.
When encoding in xvid divx(fourcC) and using uncompressed ieee audio codec the xported movie will play music but no video and come up with an error that points to :

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...nalid=80070057

It says it is an audio error however audio is the only thing that works for this encode.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM   #8
The MC
Initiate

Did you try whit mp3?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Try upping it to stage6, and the uncompressed option should be called "Uncompressed (PCM)" or some such.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
sgunners
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiras View Post
Try upping it to stage6, and the uncompressed option should be called "Uncompressed (PCM)" or some such.
Won't work...

Stage6 is not letting me upload...

This is rediculous...I've been pulling my hair out all week trying to do this and I am failing at every damn attempt. I have attached screenshots of my settings.

I am almost positive that this stage6 problem is being caused by my audio rather than video.

OK I have determined that it is the audio codec/compression that is the problem.. encoded a video, same settings, xvid, same res. everything but did not encode audio, and poof it worked. So now I need to find a way to get audio into my movies. The uncompressed both versions) did not work, Lame does not work, and for some reason Mpeg Layer-3 has no attributes.

If I can get past this one problem, I will be good to go.

Any suggestions please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help1.JPG (18.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg help2.JPG (43.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg help3.JPG (32.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg help4.JPG (34.6 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by sgunners : 10-25-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Found the problem