WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Suggestions
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #21
Gedan

Gedan is unknown at this point
There are several big sites that have adopted this part about easy rating, we are not in a stage right now where we are willing to remove our different variables but I totally agree with you Abyzz about making it too complex makes us lose votes..
Old 05-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #22
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyzz View Post
I think the problem is that you're trying to adjust the system to the flaws of human beings, and by doing so only increase the amount of limitations. If Niar gets an auto-5 then it's because he's done something in the past that in the viewers eyes makes him worth more than he is - it's a common feat really, to favor something you know is good. If you were handed a Coke, weren't you more prone to like the content than if you were handed, say, a Jolly? No system can change these psychological aspects.

The idea of using certain rankings to alter the possibilities to rate could work, and would help filter the useless spam, and make it less influential. Fundamentally, those who are more serious about the system should have more impact on it. There's already weighting in the impact of your rating though (depending on much more than just Fame), and to take it a step further is overkill I think.

I personally suggested that the "Skilled?" button were added to the rating perimeters, but that still doesn't solve the issue of not taking any (or every) perimeters seriously when rating, and to solve that you need to merge them. Put simply, forget all about these different variables and make one bar with, say, 10 stars in it that says "Rating". We might not be able to tell the audience that it's a good movie but with bad editing, but who cares anyway? How many won't download a movie that's rated 4.5 overall, if editing is only 3? Besides, we have the comments to elaborate should there be something worth noticing. Forget about complicating things, about giving special people advantages, adding perimeters for special movie genres, or trying to counter people's motives. There is no such system as a 100% accurate system, and embracing this fact I think it's best just to let the numbers do the talking. The more who rate, the more representative it'll be, and with an easier system chances are more will rate - and that their ratings will actually better match their impressions.
I think you make a few very good points here. We currently require at least 2 fame for people to vote. We are thinking about lowering it to 1 fame or removing it completely.

We are also looking at changing the rating categories of 4 with 1-5 stars to 1-2 sliders with 1-5 with 0.1 increments. One slider would be Overall rating and the other would be genre specific, such as "Skill" on PvP movies.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #23
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzbeki View Post

...We are also looking at changing the rating categories of 4 with 1-5 stars to 1-2 sliders with 1-5 with 0.1 increments. One slider would be Overall rating and the other would be genre specific, such as "Skill" on PvP movies.
All right, now we are talking - go for it..!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #24
Abyzz
Initiate

Abyzz is an unknown quantity at this point
What scare me about those statistics is that they show an overall tendency to max out grades. I only have my own view on this, but to me a full 5 star movie is virtually a perfect movie, and those should be few and far between. What I'm seeing is (at least) 5 movies per week above 4.86 rating by those users who should have the best starting point to properly judge a movie. Be that as it may, in regards to a title I could be brash and suggest calling it "Famous" (e.g. "#2 Most Famous Week 22"), as Fame is basically what triggers the achievement.

I'll come back with a more thorough input once I'm done golfing.
Abyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:31 PM   #25
Uzbeki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyzz View Post
What scare me about those statistics is that they show an overall tendency to max out grades. I only have my own view on this, but to me a full 5 star movie is virtually a perfect movie, and those should be few and far between. What I'm seeing is (at least) 5 movies per week above 4.86 rating by those users who should have the best starting point to properly judge a movie. Be that as it may, in regards to a title I could be brash and suggest calling it "Famous" (e.g. "#2 Most Famous Week 22"), as Fame is basically what triggers the achievement.

I'll come back with a more thorough input once I'm done golfing.
Well we are going to change the rating system with sliders so you dont feel like you have to vote 4 or 5. You can vote 4.4 etc

But to think we can change a generation of youtube voters I feel is aiming a bit too high. We will never get a perfect rating system, there are just too many feelings involved in a gaming community like WoWs and a large portion of the voters are either fanboys or haters.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
Abyzz
Initiate

That may very well be, but I think it largely has something to do with ignorance about the given rating perimeters. Many people simply don't know what they should base their evaluation on when looking at editing, creativity etc., and therefore these ratings are merely displaying the general impression of the movie ("if I like it, editing must be 5!"). To think that people can somehow learn this is utopia, but I do believe much of it has to do with rating complexity, and that's an aspect you control.

Adding to that I'm not sure what you wish to accomplish with the new sliders. We can only be so precise, and I don't know about you, but I would never have a clue whether a movie should receive 4.1 in content or 4.2, and I wouldn't be able to justify either of them over the other. I mean think about it, that's basically 50 degrees for each four perimeters - even professionals (look at school systems) never have more than 10 degrees in which to rate. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding this slider concept?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #27
Abyzz
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzbeki View Post
I think you make a few very good points here. We currently require at least 2 fame for people to vote. We are thinking about lowering it to 1 fame or removing it completely.

We are also looking at changing the rating categories of 4 with 1-5 stars to 1-2 sliders with 1-5 with 0.1 increments. One slider would be Overall rating and the other would be genre specific, such as "Skill" on PvP movies.
Removing fame-dependent permission to rate would be best I think. I doubt the ones with 1 Fame represent a large segment, so it shouldn't have any substantial impact - and that's where Rating Weight come in.

How would this genre specific rating work? I mean, there are lots of genres, and there are lots of movies that go across some of these. Is it not risky to let it all out on one figure (e.g. skill), when a good PvP movie is made up of so much more? Skill most definitely has an impact on the level of entertainment, but to me humor actually has an even bigger impact. If I find myself laughing throughout a movie, it can be poorly edited or display zero skills all I care, I would never hesitate to recommend it to others. Similarly, many other things are just as important as skills.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 PM   #28
Uzbeki

We are still planning out the new rating system. We have been a bit busy with the release of Age of Conan but this is still def. on the roadmap.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #29
K21Nova
Initiate

K21Nova is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's another good example why the current rating system fails miserably... I recently rated a video called "Mission 4.5 - Elemental Mage PvP" with a rating of 3/2/3/3. A low rating for a high-rated video, but I stick by my rating; the video itself deserved those numbers. The player IN it was skilled, and I never said otherwise. Here's my rating comment:

Quote:
Content average; another "slap mp3 on fraps footage" video. Creativity below average; not even a single thing beyond fraps footage with mp3s. Editing average, quality average.
I don't think I was at all insulting the author with that rating, but I do think I was being honest.

Today I logged on, and noticed someone had sent me a private message. Nothing too bad, just saying it was worth watching etc. Well, I went to check my rating of the video.

My comment was at "-9" points and hidden.

I was not downrating because of the author.
I was not downrating because of music.
I was not downrating because of the class.
I was not downrating because of the race.
I was not downrating, period.

I gave an honest opinion of the video itself, but SKILL WORSHIPING FANBOIS and the like decided to vote my rating and comment down to oblivion.

Should I rate it 5, because it already has a rating of 4.50+ or because the player in it is skilled, even though the video is average, period? I personally don't think so. But apparently giving an honest opinion, if it's going against the fanboi masses, is useless, and by the popular fanboi vote your honest rating gets "disappeared".

This is why the rating system fails.

Unless of course you want it to be like this; quality of the video is irrelevant as long as the player in it is skilled and the video becomes popular?
K21Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:30 AM   #30
K21Nova
Initiate

K21Nova is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as fame being an indicator of good ratings...

2 comments below mine there's a comment made by a person called "Wombat" (Wombat @ 08-05-25 03:54), giving full 5 points, and his comment says "Highskill!".

He has a fame of 60.

'nuff said?
K21Nova is offline   Reply With Quote