WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Suggestions
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
soosisti

soosisti is unknown at this point
Selectable spotlight movies

I've seen that you have some movies (Time Gnomes 2, Cells, Unlimited Escapism 3 etc) rotating on a certain spotbox on the frontpage. It is a good idea to rotate movies there, but why always the same ones?

Instead, could it be possible to allow us movie makers to select the movie(s) which should be on the rotation? It could be limited to premium users, recommended movies, having a certain rating or at least X amount of downloads.

Another alternative could be it that we could tag one (or more) of our own movies for the moderators to pick up for the rotation.

"WTF? plz stop and get a life !"
-Comment on Unlimited Escapism vol. 2 by Xah

Blog @ http://www.baronsoosdon.com
(Latest ramblings and information about my upcoming movies.)

IRC - #machinima @ Quakenet
Newbies and pros are welcome!
soosisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
DlouBent

DlouBent is unknown at this point
I dont think this would work.
Every movie needs attention, and by using a WCM promo clip your movie gets in spotlight. If it only were old movies with recommended rating no new good authors would get their chance to become in the spotlight.
DlouBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 AM   #3
RaggokMDV
Initiate

RaggokMDV is unknown at this point
Quote:
by using a WCM promo clip your movie gets in spotlight
FALSE - I used a promo clip and my last movie never made the spotlight. It only increases your chance of being put in the spotlight box. Not making the spotlight box is a death sentence for any movie where there is not enough name recognition of the author.
RaggokMDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 AM   #4
DlouBent

DlouBent is unknown at this point
"Guranteed chance of getting in spotlight" not false. If there is too many movies in the spotlight allready (if you submit too late), you might wait to next day. If you forgot to upload a picture your movie WONT get in spotlight.
DlouBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Not quite sure, but I think RaggokMDV is right. I see many movies with promoclips included that do not make it into the spotlight. Not that I judge on that. Maybe the important word is "...garanteed chance of..."..?

Regards

Dwârv
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 AM   #6
RaggokMDV
Initiate

Quote:
If there is too many movies in the spotlight allready (if you submit too late)
The promo clip is no guarantee... "guaranteed chance" - LOL, that is some pretty l33t doublespeak at it's best right there. And yes, I submitted a picture. It's on my moviepage. I've submitted 9 movies here, I think I know what's what.

A good portion of the time my movie was moving down the recently submitted list they were cycling movies that were over a month old in the featured box. Care to try to explain that?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
Terwilliger

Terwilliger is unknown at this point
There are more than 4 movies that qualify for the spotlight, but the system chooses the top 4 and puts them there for a day.

I'm not 100% sure on this but the system is made so that it picks movies that have the promo material and have a high rating. The spotlight position only lasts for a day, I think.

It takes years to build trust, and just seconds to destroy it.
Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
RaggokMDV
Initiate

My clip had a promo and a rating that hovered from around 4.0 to 4.3, with downraters. There were clips in the featured box that had < 3.0 ratings while my movie was slowly given the death sentence.

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure on this but the system is made so that it picks movies that have the promo material and have a high rating
If that is the case then the "system" is broken so badly in such a way as to look like personal bias.

Last edited by RaggokMDV : 08-07-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #9
Dwârv

Dwârv is unknown at this point
Don't forget, RaggokMDV, sometimes the low rating comes after the spotlight (if not because of it, but thats another story).
And downraters who have fun in downrating for no good reason you should report straight away. This is the only way to keep this rating system halfway real and clean.
Show no mercy, make no prisoners.

Regards

Dwârv
Old 08-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
RaggokMDV
Initiate

Dwarv, I literally saw a movie go up in the featured box not less than 10 minutes after it became available while my movie had been dropping down the recently released list for 2 days already.

That movie happened to do VERY badly. How was it judged a "top" movie when no one had even been able to rate it at all?

The decision is made by humans not machine. Machines don't show bias.