WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Anything wrong?
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-14-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
gergemaine
Initiate

gergemaine is an unknown quantity at this point
How does the 'today's spotlight section work?

Hiya, I have a (hopefully) simple question about how the 'today's spotlight' section works. If this isn't the right section for this post, please move it, thanks.

My latest video (Damaged Dreams) was the featured movie a couple days ago and it is again today and I'm really thankful for that but it got me thinking about how this gets decided. I read the FAQ but it doesn't make it very clear. Is it just a manual process by an admin or some kind of algorithm? Also, how is the decision to make a movie a 'recommended movie' made and how much better of a movie does it have to be than just a movie that gets to be 'today's featured movie'? I guess that last one is kind of a hard question to answer.

Also, is it possible to get an automated email sent out if you're the maker of the featured movie for the day or one of the four movies beneath that? I know most people use hosting services like filefront but I personally host all my videos and like to keep an eye on bandwidth caps, etc. It's also good to be able to check in on and respond to comments.

In any case I wanted to say thanks for bringing me the viewership I have gotten through this site.

Last edited by gergemaine : 10-14-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: edited for clarification
gergemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
Terwilliger

Terwilliger is unknown at this point
People with a high fame can vote for movies to be in the spotlight.

I don't know if it has changed to just this or if it still includes the rating of the video

It takes years to build trust, and just seconds to destroy it.
Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Gedan

Gedan is unknown at this point
The feature boxes are decided manually by admins but as Terwilliger mentioned one of our new features enables us to see what movies our high rated members think is worth putting up there. Regarding how many times it comes up is based on quality and if we think too few have seen it for us to just leave it in the archive.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
DlouBent

DlouBent is unknown at this point
Well yeah its an admin that does it manually.

Btw i like żour movie reminds of good old days /cry
DlouBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Terwilliger

Terwilliger is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by gergemaine View Post
how is the decision to make a movie a 'recommended movie' made and how much better of a movie does it have to be than just a movie that gets to be 'today's featured movie'?
Movies, when uploaded, are placed in a queue for our Movie Moderators to review and accept/decline based on criteria placed by the admins. If the Movie Moderators spot a movie that is especially good, usually made by a known author of the site (e.g. Oxhorn), the Movie Moderators check a box saying that it should get recommended, and then it goes to the Unapproved Movies queue.

This is all based on our Movie Moderators opinion. It can be biased, but the users don't really get a choice, but they can chose to watch it or not, anyway back to the subject.

Once in the Unapproved Movies queue, an admin of the site goes through every movie, making sure there are no mistakes in it, and if it has a recommended star, they download it and watch it to see if it is worthy. The admins also check for swearing/inappropriate movie pictures and correct them accordingly.

It is very common for a well known author to ask for prior permission for a recommended movie. For example, if Baron Soosdon made a new movie, and he was uploading it. He could PM an admin and ask them to review it personally since he might think it is worth a recommendation star. Then, once the upload it done, the admin goes and downloads the movie and watches it. If it is up to their standards, they recommended it, accept it and accept it through the unapproved movies list usually straight away.

So pretty much, recommendations are all up to the admins, but the Movie Moderators help the admins in picking the special movies out.

I hope this helps

It takes years to build trust, and just seconds to destroy it.
Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #6
gergemaine
Initiate

gergemaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies, Terwilliger and Gedan. They were very informative.

Also, glad you enjoyed it, DlouBent.

I hope I can bring more enjoyable movies here in the future.
gergemaine is offline   Reply With Quote