WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Ian Fleming
Initiate

Ian Fleming is unknown at this point
[Fraps] Half-size capture 'fuzzy'

Hello there,

I have a minor problem with capturing my game with fraps on half-size.

First a note why I do not record full-size: I play on 1920x1080 and therefor I lag just a bit to much to record full-size. Offcourse I can put my resolution lower but my game looks utter crap when I put on 1280x720 or 1600x900.

So back to the half-size recording.
Whenever I record half-size I end up with decent quality footage but with fuzzy text. You cannot read it it. You can barely see my name and hp and chat text is even worse. First I thought it could just be the size of the capture but half a screen of 1920x1080 should still be good enough to look at right?

I'll probably put a few examples up tomorrow but perhaps someone can tell me already that it's hopeless to try to sort this. Just buggers me alot that the game itself looks good but you cannot see hp bars and chat text, don't really need it but I'm a perfectionist

Thanks in advance and sorry for posting this again, however the old threads were like 3 years old.

PC specs:
- Duo Core E6750
- 4 GB RAM
- GeForce GTX 460
- SamSung Spinpoint 500 GB
- Windows 7
Ian Fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Ian Fleming
Initiate

nobody that has an idea?

Or are you waiting for me to put up some example vids?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
stormrager

stormrager is unknown at this point
I need to check these forums more often. An example video would be great a 30 second is perfect.

If you have issues capturing at full-size the play in windowed mode at a lower resolution and the game wont look like bad.
stormrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
Ian Fleming
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrager View Post
I need to check these forums more often. An example video would be great a 30 second is perfect.

If you have issues capturing at full-size the play in windowed mode at a lower resolution and the game wont look like bad.
That's because windowed mode means you still play at desktop resolution wich is 1920x1080 for me. Doesn't affect anything and still drops fps to ~24.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #5
stormrager

Yes your correct about one thing. Your desktop resolution will not change but you can change the in-game resolution and the performance almost definitely will increase. I play at 1920x1200 and when I switch to windowed mode at a lower resolution I have a huge performance boost.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Ian Fleming
Initiate

Quote:
Yes your correct about one thing. Your desktop resolution will not change but you can change the in-game resolution and the performance almost definitely will increase. I play at 1920x1200 and when I switch to windowed mode at a lower resolution I have a huge performance boost.
I do not notice any change in performance. Or do you keep the tiny screen?
If I set it to 1280x720 I still have to expand it otherwise it's utter crap to use such a tiny window. Atleast that doesn't work me.

And do you use fraps to capture or a different program and what settings do you use?
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
stormrager

I use the tiny screen because if you maximize it, then the graphics will look really bad and blurry.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 PM   #8
Ian Fleming
Initiate

Quote:
I use the tiny screen because if you maximize it, then the graphics will look really bad and blurry.
No, if you maximize it, it goes back to 1920. However I might have found a solution, not with fraps but with a program called Bandicam.
Let's me record in a customized resolution so tried 1600x900 and that actually works pretty good for me (35+ fps).