Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #1
jagarock
Initiate

jagarock is unknown at this point
Another FPS-problem post

Computer setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2.5Ghz dualcore)
1Gb DDR2 ram
2x 500GB SATA300, one for wow, one for recordings
Radeon x1950Pro 512MB

When not recording i get between 70-130FPS.
When recording it drops to between 20-30FPS which sucks, making it choppy.

I have 1280x1024 resolution ingame and everything set to max, which is no problem, i get exactly the same FPS if i turn down the resolution and set all detailsettings to low, so my pc obviously can handle this very fine. My HD's sounds smooth and ok when recording, not overloaded.

Ingame settings, no sync, ofcourse, since 75hz updaterate on screen will limit my fps to 75fps, which sucks when i can go up to 130.

Fraps settings, i tried 30fps, 40fps, even 60fps, all with the same choppy 20-30fps result. "No sync" is not checked, means there is sync, i heard you get double speed if you check it. anyway if this was the problem i should still get up to 75fps.

I find it hard to believe that my ram is the only thing slowing it down, ofc i know 1gb is little, but hell i should still get more fps than this. Im sure there is some settings i missed.
jagarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
The Ram.. yeah.. why 1 gb? seems like you didn't save on the other components get another stick is my recommendation.

It could also be that your CPU cannot compress faster than 20-30 fps a second. Mine is a C2D 2.66 overclocked to 3 and it's still struggling to maintain 30 fps in raids. Try lowering your resolution to, say, 1152x864.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #3
jagarock
Initiate

i found that the actual recording was better than it seemed ingame, but it sucks pvping without total smoothness.

i found my own solution, i turned down the detailsettings on the screencard until i got to the highest possible framerate. and TBH i dont notice any qualitydifference ingame, only difference is, its smooth to play while recording. finally i can start on my movie. now its always stable on 30fps.

just another note, the filesize is HUGE, 4GB pr minute
Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarock View Post
i found that the actual recording was better than it seemed ingame, but it sucks pvping without total smoothness.

i found my own solution, i turned down the detailsettings on the screencard until i got to the highest possible framerate. and TBH i dont notice any qualitydifference ingame, only difference is, its smooth to play while recording. finally i can start on my movie. now its always stable on 30fps.

Yeah the size gets sort of.. eh.. big

I wish you good luck with your pvp movie and don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
nasda
Initiate

nasda is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagarock View Post

Can you be more specfic on that plz cos I am having exactly the same issue.

Thanks in advance.
nasda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #6
jagarock
Initiate

I dont know what screencard you got but ATI have this nice controlcenter (catalyst) where you can adjust screencard settings to override game settings, im sure every screencard got a tweakingprogram like that.
Anyways, start wow and type name password, then adjust detailsettings down until you reach max fps in the charselection screen.

Like, i use 2x antialiasing, not 6x (dont notice difference ingame), 2x and not 16x anisotropic filtering, mipmap set to performance not quality.

Try turning down those settings, check for each step you do in wow if the screenrate goes up or down, if it doesnt change when you turn down one detailsetting, then leave the best quality setting on ofc. In a game like wow you dont notice difference, atleast i didnt notice anything after turning down from full to minimum settings in screencard. Ingame everything is still on full, like view distance and stuff, thats no problem.