WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 PM   #1
foskey
Initiate

foskey is unknown at this point
"video 2" codec?

Just finished rendering my first movie, 8 minutes long with thiras' xvid settings and it's ~450 mb. (840x524)

Now, for comparison I have nihilum's al'ar video on my comp so I checked out the size, and it's actually around 480mb.. but also is 14 minutes @ 1152x864. When i went into properties and the summary tab, it shows they used a "video 2" codec which is what I'm wondering about.

So what is this video 2 codec? it seems that it is really memory friendly, even at a high res., 6 minutes longer than mine and only 30mb more.

If i can get more info on this codec above, I'd appreciate any feedback on this. at school right now so I can't exactly mess around with lookin at different codecs and whatnot, but thx in advance
foskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
The MC
Initiate

The MC is unknown at this point
Well what ive figured out from hours of testing and rendering whit different codecs is that it all comes down to bitrate. Actualy, 450mb for an 8 mins video is HUGE. Ive come up whit 16.8 mb/minute settings whit the wonderful framesize as 1280x800 whit werry nice quality so a 30 mins vid would be about 500mb which is superb by any standards. How big the frame is actualy dose not affect the size of the vid as much as you would think. It all comes down to bitrate.

As far as i know the overall quality of the vid is affected by 2 things, the rendering process and the source footage. Source footage is affected by your processor and your screen resolution. For a singel core, the limit to recording at full size is 1152x864 and 1280x800 for wide screen. Anything beond that gets auto half sized. Full size is ALWAYS better than half size. I myself have a wide screen monitor whit 1680x1050 but a single core. While 1680x1050 is a much finer resolution, then im stillin running wow and recording at 1280x800 because the end result is so much better.

For the rendering part, 3 best codecs are XViD Divx and wmv. Ive found that WMV is actualy the most compact codec while keeping good quality. Ive tested rendering same clips whit similar settings for hours as i came to this conclusion. WMV though is restricted to 4:3 which means i can't use it for wide screen. Xvid Divx are pretty equal, Xvid is compleatly free, divx has some upgradeable options. Both have a bitrate option, while people say that 3k is good then they mean that is good quality but the size can still be too big. Something between 2.2 and 2.5 is nice. The drop in quality can't almost be noticed if your raw video is good quality. When i started making movies i couldn't understand the shitty quality and bug filesize relation, it didn't make a whole lot of sense. Now i am wiser.

Anyway, to answer your question what is video 2, im not sure. Its possible that its related to WMV or it can be a Sorenson codec, but that specific codec is like 10 years old.

But if you follow my tips you can create good videos whit small sizes. Also keep in mind that it is ALWAYS better for the quality : size ratio if you render at the same resolution as your raw footage is, shrinking or stretching it can leave you whit horrible results.

Last edited by The MC : 10-24-2007 at 09:21 PM.
The MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
foskey
Initiate

foskey is unknown at this point
Yep, it is related to WMV files. I tested it out and actually upped the res. to 1280x720 with best quality for everything - came out to be 298mb which is 150mb knocked off the original with what seems same or better quality.

Looks like I'm gonna stick with wmv, maybe test out some other things
foskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
stormrager

stormrager is unknown at this point
That sounds a lot better for that length.
stormrager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
Thiras

Thiras is unknown at this point
Wmv isnt restricted to 4:3 wouldn't be very good if it was.
Thiras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
The MC
Initiate

The MC is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thiras View Post
Wmv isnt restricted to 4:3 wouldn't be very good if it was.
Yes i figured that already, i wrote that in the middle of the night :S
Now i don't know even what i had in mind then. Probably that you can't render at any random res...or something...
The MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:16 PM   #7
Sheril
Initiate

Sheril is an unknown quantity at this point
My Premiere crashed when it just started to render a 1080*675 wmv movie yesterday,but 1440*900 and 720*450 both are fine.
That made me quite confused.

www.zinstudio.cn ,welcome.
Sheril is offline   Reply With Quote