WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Lord of the Rings Online > General Discussion
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #1
Lodisen

Lodisen is unknown at this point
Is this an attempt to milk money?

Is this a vague attempt to get some more cash from the Lord of the rings series? I don't really think it's going to live up to all expectations. And do you think a MMORPG game is the right thing for LoTR?

Let's make a LOTR, the sims edition aswell to get some more money, and reach a few more customers.
Lodisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
xsr1000
Initiate

xsr1000 is unknown at this point
This game is long time been working on (I remember the Middle Earth Online days) this is maybe one of the oldest (in development) game based on the lotr scene. But after it became Lord of the Rings online the game went downwards... to probably milking.
xsr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Punchline

Punchline is notable
Ya, I agree with xsr1000. This game is NOT an attempt to make more money. The MMO world NEEDS a lotr game, wether it is good or not.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #4
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodisen View Post
Is this a vague attempt to get some more cash from the Lord of the rings series? I don't really think it's going to live up to all expectations. And do you think a MMORPG game is the right thing for LoTR?

Let's make a LOTR, the sims edition aswell to get some more money, and reach a few more customers.
I think it is pretty hard for a company to make a mmorpg just to "milk" a franchise and be successful at it. Just look at SWG, the only Star Wars mmorpg out there but with a pretty small player base. You have to produce a good quality product to be able to bring in the big bucks. The avg mmorpg player does not want to waste his time with crappy game

I predict that we will see a lot of mmorpgs being shut down in 2007-2008 because of a too tiny player base. The competition is getting really stiff.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:15 PM   #5
midgetman99
Initiate

midgetman99 is notable
This is definitely not a milk product. I'm in the Closed Beta atm and I can guarantee you that the dev team spent a lot of time working on this game to get everything right. Tiny bit of lore issues with the "loremaster" class, but they're insignificant, and everythign else works wonderfully lore-wise. The world looks gorgeous, the classes are fun to play with lots of character customization, and a very immersive world. +, the character storyline for the player (if you take the time to read the quests) is the best I've ever seen in an MMO.

Beta Testing: LotRO (under a NDA so I'm not gonna say much though :p).

Active Account: WoW

Researching: Vanguard: SoH, and Darkfall
midgetman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
Uzbeki

Uzbeki is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman99 View Post
This is definitely not a milk product. I'm in the Closed Beta atm and I can guarantee you that the dev team spent a lot of time working on this game to get everything right. Tiny bit of lore issues with the "loremaster" class, but they're insignificant, and everythign else works wonderfully lore-wise. The world looks gorgeous, the classes are fun to play with lots of character customization, and a very immersive world. +, the character storyline for the player (if you take the time to read the quests) is the best I've ever seen in an MMO.
Sounds great
What are the quests like? Are they like most of the WoW quests ("Deliver this to here" or "kill x amount of critters")? Can you give me a general example?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
rigryn
Initiate

rigryn is unknown at this point
One of the primary mistakes I think Turbine made on this game is the fact that they didn't just implement the Lord of the Rings lore and terrain, but actually let the MMORPG play in the time of the characters of the initial series. This basically ruins the space/time idea players have. It feels like having a singleplayer RPG nailed into a forced MMO environment.

I mean, having a quest to help Aragorn do something or fetch something for Gandalf is just weird and they should NEVER have done that. They should have just made a LOTR world and put LOTR lore into it but let it play in a different time, for example the aftermath. At least the game would have had room to scale properly.

Second major point is graphics. They should really start hiring some decent designers. The graphical engine is great, but the atmosphere created is just boring. It doesn't have an idea behind it, like for example the 'cuteness' of WoW. But it seems a bit better than the latest horror product though: DDO
rigryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:27 PM   #8
Lodisen

Lodisen is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman99 View Post
Could you give us some insider info about the beta?
Lodisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:36 PM   #9
Punchline

Punchline is notable
Quote:
QFT!! :p
Old 10-29-2006, 05:13 PM   #10
The Bum

The Bum is unknown at this point
Quote:
That would be nice yes
The Bum is offline   Reply With Quote