WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #1
Yvese
Initiate

Yvese is an unknown quantity at this point
Few questions

1. I hear that people use VirtualDub to render their movies. So that leaves me with my first question: What do I render my video as in Sony Vegas? It's my understanding that rendering a video twice is no good, unless doing multi-pass or something. But yea, what format should I render in vegas before rendering in VirtualDub?
2. In alot of the top guilds kill videos, their intro titles have sound effects. I believe their editor made these effects so that they can sync it with the flow of the title. What program is used here?

Thanks.
Yvese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Blueroze

Blueroze is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Always render as uncompressed using any of the lossless codecs available atm (Huffyuv etc). This gives you 100% source material from which you can then encode down to your desired file size. (The uncompressed file will be massive, usually 20gb for a 5-10min movie so make sure you have the filespace)

2. Usually but not always Adobe After Effects seems to be the most popular program to make intro's. Don't be fooled by the sound effects either as one nifty addon package for it is a sound effect suite that has alot of files which can be manipulated in a multitude of ways.
Blueroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
LCedergren
Initiate

LCedergren is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a followup question since I havent gone so deep in to the rendering proces. Why render with Virutal dub? Why not final with vegas?

Lucas
LCedergren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #4
soosisti

soosisti is unknown at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCedergren View Post
I have a followup question since I havent gone so deep in to the rendering proces. Why render with Virutal dub? Why not final with vegas?

Lucas
Because Vegas is buggy with some of the codecs (XViD is the most common to have that problem). Same goes for audio encoding.

VirtualDub has also lot of other settings and tweakable things that make it a lot easier to render different versions from the huge uncompressed file.

For example, I render my movies in 720p HD in Vegas to an uncompressed file. Then with VirtualDub I cut the resolution in half and make a smaller version for YouTube etc streaming sites.

"WTF? plz stop and get a life !"
-Comment on Unlimited Escapism vol. 2 by Xah

Blog @ http://www.baronsoosdon.com
(Latest ramblings and information about my upcoming movies.)

IRC - #machinima @ Quakenet
Newbies and pros are welcome!
soosisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Yvese
Initiate

Yvese is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok I just tried rendering one of my movies uncompressed. I used the NTSC DV template, using the Huffyuv 2.1.1 format codec. After I rendered, the file size was a few gigs which is what it's supposed to be. However, when I render using VirtualDub ( Using DivX codec and HD720P settings ), the quality is just terrible, but if I render in Sony Vegas using the same settings with the same codec, the quality is incredible, except a 6-8m movie comes out to about 7-800mb.

So, what am I doing wrong? What I want is to render my movies with excellent quality ( Think Nihilums recent Brutallus video - Amazing full screen quality, and the video is roughly 6-7m long but with a ~3xxmb file size ), but keep the file size low. How can I render my movies like Nihilum's or Vodka's Felmyst movie? Amazing full screen quality ( Aka their chat log is clear and you can read everything clearly ), yet the file size remains small.

If someone here could explain to me exactly what template to use in Sony Vegas, and what Video format to use with what settings uncompressed, and also what settings to use in VirtualDub with Divx ( Or if you use another Codec, what settings do you use? )

Thanks to anyone that answers my question and I hope it made sense.
Yvese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Blueroze

Blueroze is an unknown quantity at this point
You now have to play about with the quality settings in your desired codec.

http://www.warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=70981 - Has a few good tutorials as do the stickies in this forum. :p

Just as an example...

Currently I have to produce and get published Sunwell kill movies fast after receiving footage from 3/4 other guild members. Now my computer is decent but not state of the art, if I had more time I would use the x264 codec, but seeing as I don't I encode as WMV (Windows Media Videa V9). Usually I set the quality level to anything between 90-93%. Bare in mind WMV produces a thin veneer (your average joe won't see the difference) over your movie, so is sometimes not the preferred codec for machinima makers.
Blueroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
Macky
Initiate

Macky is an unknown quantity at this point
all things compression www.doom9.org
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote