WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
unbound03
Initiate

unbound03 is unknown at this point
Issue with recording programs

Well..i know everyone suggests fraps.and i agree..it is very good, but when people cant afford to buy the full version, i cant see how most of you defend it so heavily..now..im pritty sure that most of you dident actualy pay for yours,..however..i am not realy looking into downloading it because of how many viruses are out there..can anyone suggest what i can do/what other programs are just as good/
unbound03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
I'll be honest. A few years ago when I was starting making movies, I had a 'bugged' Full version of fraps. But over the course of movie making, I learned that I needed more... I needed updates, I need info, i need support, i wanted to learn more from other people using fraps. So I decided to buy it a few months later. And I do Not regret it one bit.

What am I saying? Save up, and get fraps. Trust me, theres many programs out there that work like fraps, but fraps is the best program for virutally any computer. Some other programs require much better computers, or are not as great of quality...

Virtually any other program that is as good as fraps charges for their full versions too. Yet I still highly recommend fraps.

I'm usually one to really go against paying for a program (because of my own financial problems), but buying fraps was one of the best investments I've ever made with my money. Why do I say it's an investment? Because I invest so much time into movies these days, I couldn't live without fraps.

Buy it, you won't regret it, if making movies is a loved hobby or passion. Trust me.

Last edited by Vandalist : 11-17-2007 at 06:30 AM. Reason: correcting spelling mistakes
Vandalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:40 AM   #3
unbound03
Initiate

unbound03 is unknown at this point
I wish i could buy it..but im just not in the position atm to, but i still want to make movies (working on a warrior/hunter movies atm)but the 30 second fraps is realy REALY annoying..like say..im in a bg, and this has happened mutiple times to my dismay, i get into a big fight (alot of them are mutiple people Versus just me) i look up at my counter and realise my 30 seconds is already up before i finish the fight..giving me very primitive clips XD
unbound03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #4
Vandalist
Hall of Fame member

Vandalist is notable
Well, theres programs out there like GameCam and such that can record over the 30 second limit, but at lower quality and giving you their little logo over all your footage.

So you won't really be able to make a decent movie unless you decide to buy fraps or buy some program to record it.. =\
Vandalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
kiahann

kiahann is notable
I would just stick with the unregistered version until you can get the full one. I personally had the unregistered version for a couple months before I decided to buy the full version.

I was doing the same thing you were, looking for free movie recorders I did find gamecam tried it out and personally I liked the unregistered fraps better then gamcam, for one gamcam takes more requirements then fraps to record and the quality was horrible with gamecam.

personally I don't even upload any of my movies on any sites I create movies for my friends to watch and for own personal use and I still think fraps was worth the money.
(I don't upload because I don't have any good editing programs to use so I don't bother)

For 5 months I couldn't even run fraps with my computer but I still found use for it (caught a ninja looter and screenshotted him (with fraps) in my raid and uploaded to the Official forums, THAT alone was worth the money for fraps)

Your not going to get any better then fraps, I tried to search and to try others but they failed to even come close to fraps in my opinion.

So I would just stick with unregistered till you can get it

Last edited by kiahann : 11-18-2007 at 01:43 PM.
kiahann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
yoshi245

yoshi245 is unknown at this point
I have yet to buy fraps but own a full working copy myself over time. If you know where to look, you can easily get it.

There is an issue with fraps trial and "illegitmate" full conflicting to the point that the full version won't work if you run it, mainly due to registry license keys. I had that on my old computer but I eventually fixed it.

As good as fraps is, the only time I'd consider ever buying it is if they actually find or make a better codec for creating the .avi's. The filesize for uncompressed videos is unnecessarily huge. It almost forces most people who's advantageous to make a large full scale movie to invest in a large enough drive(internal or external) to hold the uncompressed footage. There are ways around it like trying to record as little as possible, then compress and encode it, afterwards deleting the old uncompressed footage etc.

Last edited by yoshi245 : 11-20-2007 at 10:07 AM.
yoshi245 is offline   Reply With Quote