WCM Network: 

Go Back   mmorpgforum.net > Machinima > WarcraftMovies.com > Movie Making
Register Projects FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Sokall
Initiate

Sokall is unknown at this point
Fully custom model animation with MAYA...

Well i am relitavely new to the scene, but i feel i'm pretty set in terms of the basic film-making and FX (color and chromo keying, set movements, ect.) but i want to move out of the box.

Wowmodel viewer is awesome, it gives you complete creative control that would otherwise be impossible, but it lacks one thing; complete freedom.

you are limited to Blizzard's animations only, you can't make a more realistic "point". This forces directors to be creative, which is great, but it's like drawing the mona lisa with three colors in a GIF format.

tell me, what exactly must i do to export wowmodelviewer characters into a format that MAYA will recognize? I'd tried all the given file types (3dmax, milkshake, ect), but maya can't open a single one of them.

Maya is very popular, so i'm sure at least one of you guys has had this problem as well, so please share your knowledge!
Sokall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
godliest

godliest is notable
Ok, what is MAYA? Some sort of indian? No really, I don't know, would be nice with a link.

Albert Einstein Quotes
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
godliest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Sokall
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by godliest View Post
Ok, what is MAYA? Some sort of indian? No really, I don't know, would be nice with a link.
Maya is a 3d modeling and animation program, it's kind of the industry norm right now, due to it's ease of use.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Terwilliger

Terwilliger is unknown at this point
MAYA is used for more realistic 3D animations while 3D Studio Max is for more cartoony kind of animations.

It takes years to build trust, and just seconds to destroy it.
Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Btcc22
Hall of Fame member

Btcc22 is unknown at this point
I'm afraid the only plugins to do this are for 3DMax/GMax and in my experience they don't actually seem to work (well, they do if you mess with them to the point of wanting to tear out your hair, but even then they imported models have so many problems they're beyond useful).

http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/index....id=29&Itemid=1
Old 04-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
Sokall
Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btcc22 View Post
I'm afraid the only plugins to do this are for 3DMax/GMax and in my experience they don't actually seem to work (well, they do if you mess with them to the point of wanting to tear out your hair, but even then they imported models have so many problems they're beyond useful).

http://www.wowmodelviewer.org/index....id=29&Itemid=1
i did some snooping on 3dsmax, looks like the cheapest version is $3000.....dare i torrent?
Old 04-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
godliest

godliest is notable
Quote:
the cheapest version is $3000.....dare i torrent?
Depends. Torrent it first, if u think the program is good and really worth the money, buy it. If u can afford it that is.

Albert Einstein Quotes
"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love."
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
godliest is offline   Reply With Quote